Power, Passion and Precision

The following is only one small person's thoughts, created by my own experiences and impressions. It is not inclusive. It is not intended to be exclusive. It is merely an attempt on my part to tell those who have affected me by their performances how much I appreciate them. I only know what I see, what I hear, what I like and, most of all, how it makes me feel.

How is makes me feel is the most important part to me. Over the years, I have gone to many, many drum corps shows. Before that I performed in more than a few, too. What am I looking for when I buy my ticket and climb to the top of the stands? I’m looking for a good show, but more that, that, I admit I am living vicariously . I am looking for that feeling I had so many years ago when I put on my uniform and took the field and felt that sense of belonging to this greatness called drum corps.

I am looking for those moments, often few and far between, that makes, one more time, my heart pump, my blood run, my vocal chords vibrate. Alive … with that sense of completeness when the last note is played and you stand there looking up and know … “This is it!”

What do I look for in a drum corps performance? … Power, Passion, Precision

With this in mind, I’d like to say thanks to a few special people:

Power … Oregon Crusaders … What a powerful hornline you have. What a blended sound. You seem to play music I have never heard before and will never hear anywhere else. I buy your APD’s and load them on my machine so I can hear that clear and beautiful sound all year. You put on a wonderful show this year. Echo was a great theme. You had my favorite flags of the year … those two handed blue ones you handled so well. Why do you have to be so far away where I can’t see you in the early season? When at last I get to see you, your show arrives full blown and polished. I’d love to get a glimpse of the process …get to know you better. Oh, well, I shall have to look forward to seeing you again near the end of the season in California. The wait is well worth it.

Precision … East Coast Jazz … I really liked your show this year. Some wise person in a review said this year was more of an ensemble performance for you and I suspect that is true and one of the reasons I enjoyed it. I, also, like Ellington and you did a great job bringing this to the field. I am not usually a big fan of jazz and drum corps (there are a few instruments missing which I hope never to see on a drum corps field) but this was very well done. You obviously work very hard to finesse the smallest details. You make the difficult look easy. You have some excellent talent in your hornline. I’d say your top six trumpets could play anywhere with anyone. Your drumline was terrific. But it was the whole effort of the corps that impressed me. This year, I think, I also got a glimpse of your heart. Somewhere between the two shows in CT you obviously lost a few people. The show in Bridgeport was full of holes and rife with some kind of inner frustration and I was a bit concerned for you. But you rallied and came back stronger than ever. This took a lot of heart and hard work.

Passion … Jersey Surf … You put your heart and soul into this one and it was simply beautiful. You worked so hard and came so far. At the finals you played the best ballad I heard all year … in any division. Your flags were … you know I’ve forgotten if they’re green or they’re blue. Anyway, the thing is what I really mean is yours was the sweetest show that I saw in Div II this year. And you can tell everybody this was your song. And now that it’s done, I hope you don’t mind that I’ve put down into words … how wonderful life is when you’re in the show.

Power, Passion and Precision … Spartans … Lightning does strike twice. Last year you pulled me down there on the field with you and I felt the rush of performing … the heart pump, the blood run, the vocal chords vibrate … I remember thanking you in the end for that memorable Thursday performance. Well here I am, again. I admit I am a skeptic and I had my doubts early in the year. But you actually pulled it off. You did it again. You performed last Saturday with that power, passion and precision that just yanked me right down there. There was the moment when your battery and front ensemble combined to knock me off my seat. There was the moment your guard had me literally take that breath with them. There was the moment when your hornline just rose and blew me away. You left it on the field. Thank you. And in the end ... after it was all done ... although I was not there ... I take heart in knowing that somewhere you formed the arc and played Fire for yourselves one last time for the year. Play on.

Well said Oldguard. Thank you for your input and wise words on this board.

I look for the same things myself in the shows. I also look for that beauty in the music that just reaches into your chest and squeezes your heart. It's that way when I heard Spartans do Fire of Eternal Glory after a show.

CorpsMom13

Passion … Jersey Surf … You put your heart and soul into this one and it was simply beautiful. You worked so hard and came so far. At the finals you played the best ballad I heard all year … in any division. Your flags were … you know I’ve forgotten if they’re green or they’re blue. Anyway, the thing is what I really mean is yours was the sweetest show that I saw in Div II this year. And you can tell everybody this was your song. And now that it’s done, I hope you don’t mind that I’ve put down into words … how wonderful life is when you’re in the show.

Oldguard:

My daughter marched with Surf's guard this summer, and I read your review to her last night...when I got to the green/blue flags part, she looked up at me, smiled and said..."He got it!" Good for you...I never picked up on that...