You know, if you throw out 2004 for PR...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Count me in the "likes 'em all" club - I liked 2004 so much I bought the T-shirt! :P

I'm in that likes 'em all too, club. I actually love 2004. If they had had a real guard program just one year earlier (2004 instead of 2005), this show would have held up to it's bookends much better... Musically, it was great. Drill was a step up from previous year. Then, then, then there was that guard. Ouch.

Harvey

I didn't see '04, but '03 is my favorite Regiment show of all time. I'll need to see '06 a few more times to "slot" it, but '96, '93, and '89 are on my list for Best Shows Ever.

I think 2003 PR was one of the best shows of the year, but I really love 2002. If only the drumline was as good then as it is now.

Yeah 2003 was my favorite drum corps show ever (check out my profile), but in a review I wrote in 2004, I stated that as much as I loved 2003's show for the powerful and emotional rendition of a fantastic music book, the 2004 brass kicked up their level of performance to cover the intricate Piazzola music book.

Count me in the "I love 2004 PR" club ! Awesome show, more sophisticated than 2003 with more contrast in style, more melody to sink your teeth into, a guard that had a better presence than 2003. The only flaw in the 2003 masterpiece: A guard that just didnt enhance the mood or attitude of the music.

2004 was a step up and well on the way to the stunning 2005 production.

~G~

Yeah 2003 was my favorite drum corps show ever (check out my profile), but in a review I wrote in 2004, I stated that as much as I loved 2003's show for the powerful and emotional rendition of a fantastic music book, the 2004 brass kicked up their level of performance to cover the intricate Piazzola music book.

Actually, what I meant to say was that '03 Regiment is my favorite drum corps show of all time. Not just Regiment shows ;) Though admittedly, (and yes, shame on me) since I pretty much NEVER watch the guard, and listen to CDs more than watch the vids, I should probably say it's my favorite MUSICAL show.

i dont know why people dont like 2004 so much

Two words.

"Helmets" and "Tango"

Can you see the disconnect? B)

I realize it's a form of orchestral music they were working with, but the music required a groove and a physical connection that simply wasn't happening for them, imho. The music naturally wants to lay back, but their formal approach never let it breathe (very "dutty" in terms of the musical phrasing).

They did with it what they could, but it was never a good fit.

Edited by mobrien