Delayed Review of Finals Week

I took an additional week beyond DCI finals to get away from work as long as possible, thus my late review.

Some short opinions:

Madison is a great city

Camp Randall is a great stadium for drum corps

The top 12 are getting stronger and stronger

Drum corps fans are generally very polite and despite expected strong ties to favorite corps,

most have a genuine overall love and appreciation for the activity and all marching members.

Spirit:

A very solid 12th place corps. Compared to most years past, this was a very strong showing in that "last spot". All areas of performance were pretty equal in my view.

The drum line quality in this spot is testiment to the massive improvements in the past ten years when it comes to excellence in that captian. I really respect them for hanging onto their roots yet trying to be new. I really appreciate the true approach to jazz/swing. Corps no longer choose that option because it is hard to do correctly on the field. The fluff or fake jazz done now drives me crazy. Good job Spirit.

Glassmen:

Though not a huge fan of this show, it certainly had some intelligent thought behind the overall design. The guard was the strongest captian for the group. From a show construction stand point, I understand why it was ahead of Spirit. I like some of the arrangements and delt with other parts due to the visual interest. Like many of the 2006 corps, they seem to be trying to find a niche for themselves. If the design continues to move forward and quality increases, we should expect good things from them in the future. Agreed with the placement.

Boston:

There was a clear jump in quality here for me. Boston was cleaner and more refined than Spirit and Glassmen in all areas except guard. Many design issues were well orchestrated. The show did come across as "easier" than the previous two corps in the areas of the drill and brass book. This allowed for a more polished performance, but left me wanting a lot more. I didn't feel there was even mild risks being taken in any area. I enjoyed it but didn't love it.

Agreed to the placement.

Madison:

I seem to have an unexpected soft spot for the corps this season. My earlier posts were pretty supportive of the efforts to reinvent a giant. I was eager to see the corps again after the San Antonio regional. LOTS of improvement. By comparison to the corps around them, drill, marching and guard seems placed where it should be. I can buy the GE numbers based on the issues with drill and guard. I have a problem with the brass and percussion numbers. I really enjoyed the music and how well it was performed. To be honest, I was shocked by the percussion score and even more so by the brass placement. I know that judging on the field is different than what we hear upstairs, and I allow for that gap somewhat, but this seems too severe. I was very intrigued by what the music offered. I wish it was much better supported by the visual program , thus creating more GE. I judge a lot and have an open mind to others who share this difficult task, but this really makes me question politics. I do know that if you study ranking and rating for DCI or BOA, it is very rare to have ordinals that are all over the place. Strong captians are almost always pulled down by weaker ones. Obviously no credit was given for taking risks or taking on extreme challenges.

I did get a strong sense of that Madison energy that seems to have been allusivepart of the past few years. The impacts were as strong as anyone's. The musical offering was extremely creative, diverse, and well performed and will make for one of the more enjoyable CDs to listen to when they are released. Lots of energy finals night, maybe one spot up was the reward. Easily would have them over BK.

Carolina Crown:

Like many, I was blown away. Great in all areas. I have never strongly liked or disliked them. I have always been supportive of their efforts to create an identity for themselves. Bingo. Keep going this direction. No question one of, if not the best 8th place corps ever. To be somewhat fair to what I have written about other groups, if pushed for something I though was lacking, I would say musical demand of the brass. Seems they can handle more... or maybe this was an example of perfect timing of maxing out a combination of talent and achievement. Well done. Look forward to the DVDs.

Would have them in 5th.

Blue Knights:

Flags nice (again). Guard nice. I like that their drill is very identifible as BK as well as their marching style. The fact that the drill writing is so different is a cool element o fthis group. I am glad this corps has accomplished consecutive years making it into the finals. Some cool percussion offerings. Overall, I really did not like the show. It came across to me as smoke and mirrors, with little substance or demand. I do want the members to be successful and I am sure they, as well as the staff, were extremely pleased with the jump over Crown. I had the most trouble with the brass performance and the brass book (music offering in general). This is one of those years I would like to show several non-drum corps or non-marching band university music professors the finalist corps. Based on what they heard (not saw), it would be interesting for them to rate the music efforts of each group. I fear this would not get positive nods. The horn line is clearly well instructed in such a way to hide its deficiencies.

My comments are not to take away any level of achievement. Unfortunately this activity is about comparisons. Could have had this corps in 11th or 12th.

Santa Clara:

Big improvement guys. Loved, loved, loved the first and last minutes. First corps to somewhat match Scouts demands. Pete Weber is the real deal and the staff did a great job of balancing the what and how. Some very good guard moments. I felt the pit was too lound and much weaker than the battery. Some battery writing bothered me as did the quality of the horn line. Not buying the fake jazz. Overall very energetic and a strong finish for a successful come back year.

Would have them where they finished.

Cadets:

It is tough being the returning champion. Marching and playing coordination was what this corps offered best. The staged moments and props were not effective for me. There just wasn't enough inventiveness or intellect with those moments for me to not get the same with a high level band. Horn line seemed fairly weak without a lot of demand. I was such a fan for so many years. I try to not let that effect me too much by expecting them to always be who they were 1983-2000. Guard was great and drum line stronger than I was lead to think they were. Again, Jeff Sattig offered some great coordination at times.

Would have them 7th.

Blue Coats;

March well, play well, spin well, drum well. Show solid and well performed. The emotion was not there Thursday or Friday, so I had them finishing 6th. They really steped it up finals night. Watching them was very comfortable and easy. They should be proud of their upward journey. It of course gets really tough from here.

Agreed with 4th based on Saturday's performance.

BD:

I really liked it. I loved the guard and that their involvement with the theme wasn't overkill. Like the recognizable music quotes and the diverseness of how they were offered. Wayne and crew stepped up the horn demand, which I like and respect a lot. Drum line very solid and pushing their identity some...keep it going.

This corps was not out marched in my opinion. When you get your DVDs, notice how easy they make it all look.

Great job.

Would have them 2nd had Regiment not cranked it up finals night.

PR:

I love the horn book and the integrity to music development through arranging. What they do as a horn line and what Cavies do CAN NOT be compared. I think the two are so far apart in horn book concepts that you can't even judge the two against each other. Cavies horn performance near perfect in every way. Regiment not quite as clean but with a lot more demand and playing music that requires emotion to be fully appreciated...I don't think you can challenge a musician more when you consider they are performing on a football field. I am sure JD and crew talk, stress, beg for the emotional effort from the performers so it reaches into the stands. means something to their heart. David Bertman and crew never have to go there...the music requires clean, no emotion...and they clean that horn line year after year better than anyone in the activity. The girls in the guard were great. Good drill, but I would like more visual appeal. Visual ensemble a strength, visual GE not. Great drumline. Great emotion, one of my favorite aspects of the activity. Thanks PR for keeping that alive and scoring well with that approach.

Would have had them in 2nd.

Cavies:

Did not like it early on, but what growth. I have shared my thoughts on the horn line. The show coordination, theme use, attention to construction detail, etc. unmatched in 2006. Performance excellence in all areas very strong... thank you members. They did so much so well it was hard to give it to someone else. The design team made the difference with show construction. I enjoyed it very much. The perfection in and of itself is an effect. Wish the music (not music sound effects) had more to do with their success each year. I do fear that as corps follow their music style, we will loose support outside our small group of fans.

Would have had them 1st, but close.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your comments about PRvs. Cavies brass approaches seems dead on to me. How can you compare them??? I wish one of our geeks on the board would time how many minutes the entire PR hornline is playing as compared to Cavies. What about how much time at forte or above? I'd be very interested.

Great review... thanks for the comments.

BD:

This corps was not out marched in my opinion. When you get your DVDs, notice how easy they make it all look.

However, I have to ask others (even though my better judgment tells me not to proceed because I know I will get crucified) am I the only one who couldn’t get over the degree to which BD stood still in this show? Sure, when they marched they did it with precision and it seemed flawless, but IMO they take the award this year for park and blow. I am anxious to review the DVD... and maybe I am wrong... but it seemed to me they were standing still or casually walking from set to set for at least 4-5 minutes of their show. Don't get me wrong, it was a great show and deserving of 3rd place, but I expected much more.

Your comments about PRvs. Cavies brass approaches seems dead on to me. How can you compare them??? I wish one of our geeks on the board would time how many minutes the entire PR hornline is playing as compared to Cavies. What about how much time at forte or above? I'd be very interested.

I'm sure the results would be interesting, but I don't think that would solve who had a better hornline with those criteria. Playing at forte or above? That is one of Phantom's highlights. However, judging Cavaliers based on what Phantom is not exactly the answer.

Since their styles are so different, judges have to judge them on how well they do their own styles. They each have very different strengths.

Phantom plays really loud for really long periods of time, Cavaliers have a great balanced sound all the time.

Hmm, I couldn't disagree more with the review of Blue Knights at all. I understand that their show is not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but it seems to me that you're using your subjective entertainment (or lack thereof) and trying to qualify the show objectively. 11th or 12th? No way.

Hmm, I couldn't disagree more with the review of Blue Knights at all. I understand that their show is not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but it seems to me that you're using your subjective entertainment (or lack thereof) and trying to qualify the show objectively. 11th or 12th? No way.

I respect everyone's opinion... and there seem to be many who just don't like or don't want to like BK's show... but I am with you on this one. I believe BK's show was a solid show and deserving of its placement (okay, I loved it). However, almost everyone sitting around me on all three nights (even at a couple of shows before finals week) really differed with my opinion. I honestly felt like a fish swimming up stream on my effort to support the merits of this show. What a shame because it is a great show.

I really don't see how you could see any substance or demand in the Blue Knights show, maybe listening to the Pulitzer Prize winning piano concerto that the show was arranged from will open your eyes a bit.

I really don't see how you could see any substance or demand in the Blue Knights show, maybe listening to the Pulitzer Prize winning piano concerto that the show was arranged from will open your eyes a bit.

Ouch… that certainly sounds pretty condescending. If your argument is that those of us who like BK’s show have never listened to Barber’s piano concerto, then you are attempting to advancing a pretty lame argument. Moreover, I suspect you will agree it’s highly likely the judges are very familiar with the concerto and they certainly seemed to find sufficient substance and demand in BK's show. As for me, thanks for the tip, but I'm familiar with Barber's piano concerto and my eyes were wide open each of the five times I saw this show -- I loved what I saw and heard.

David Bertman and crew never have to go there...the music requires clean, no emotion...and they clean that horn line year after year better than anyone in the activity.

I wouldn't say they have NO emotion... But a different emotion. Some people quantify emotion as loud in your face playing, but isn't the very end of Adagio for Strings one of the most emotional chords in the piece? For lack of better terminology I think you're looking for more... ahem "balls" to the brass book... Am I correct?

PR played a bit louder than Cavaliers during finals, but the Cavaliers played so crazy loud during their victory run it was amazing. Blew everyone else out of the water.

Edited by Bari-Player