Marty Redmann

Well you guys.. before we all go leaping off the bridge..

As past experience in boards of directors tells me, often the STAFF are all hired by the EXDir.. and if the ExDir goes away.. then all those positions are considered "open" until the NEW ExDir fills them..

It's sort of a glitch.. so to presume that all of those people would 1.) lose their jobs with no chance of re-hire or 2.) not be considered in their positions under the new director is a little bit premature.

I think we need to wait and see what the HIRE announcement is before we get all up in arms over who's lost their jobs..

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

man that's nuts! I hope the new staff will acclimate well! it's gonna be a transition year. good or bad is yet to be determined.

Well...I hope they make a decision quick, because if they don't, well, good luck finding kids to audition.

I'm fairly certain they already have a replacement. I'm sure an announcement is forthcoming.

Marty, Mike or Pat would each do a great job as Director of the Scouts. The one thing that the new director will have to deal with is input from the board as to what is presented on the field. Totally holding back the brass, losing the "ScoutLook", and "going native" just will not get the alumni to support the corps financially. Now that there is an alumni group, whoever takes over has to tap this rescource as has never been done in the past.

The one thing that the new director will have to deal with is input from the board as to what is presented on the field.

You know, I really have to take issue with this statement.

In what alternate universe does a company (ANY company) hire a guy to do a job.. expect that guy to hire guys to help him do that job.. and then have a bunch of lay people jump in and give input and direction that overrides the guy they hired for the job?

Seriously? You think that's a good idea??

Why hire anyone at all? Why not just run the corps by committee and let the board be the director?

IMO and IME, the board is there to put money in the coffers and hire the director -- make sure the i's are dotted and t's are crossed.. make sure there's insurance, vehicles and paychecks go out on time.

The DIRECTOR is there to get the corps down the road.. part of that job is to hire the staff who develops the show... in cases where the director does the hiring and takes care of the business of the corps is where you see the most success. In some cases, the director is also part of the design team.

In NO successful case (again, IME.. as a member of SEVERAL start up and fielded drum corps boards of directors) is the board involved creatively or in the day to day running of the corps.

IMO anyone who thinks it's a GOOD idea to have the board involved in the day to day running of the corps is a couple of clowns short of a circus.

I seriously hope Scott Boerma wasn't let go. That would hurt worse than letting Sal go.

You know, I really have to take issue with this statement.

In what alternate universe does a company (ANY company) hire a guy to do a job.. expect that guy to hire guys to help him do that job.. and then have a bunch of lay people jump in and give input and direction that overrides the guy they hired for the job?

Seriously? You think that's a good idea??

Why hire anyone at all? Why not just run the corps by committee and let the board be the director?

IMO and IME, the board is there to put money in the coffers and hire the director -- make sure the i's are dotted and t's are crossed.. make sure there's insurance, vehicles and paychecks go out on time.

The DIRECTOR is there to get the corps down the road.. part of that job is to hire the staff who develops the show... in cases where the director does the hiring and takes care of the business of the corps is where you see the most success. In some cases, the director is also part of the design team.

In NO successful case (again, IME.. as a member of SEVERAL start up and fielded drum corps boards of directors) is the board involved creatively or in the day to day running of the corps.

IMO anyone who thinks it's a GOOD idea to have the board involved in the day to day running of the corps is a couple of clowns short of a circus.

from what i've heard thats part of the reason thompson left them after 04