Chris Tomsa for Scout Director

Agreed. Get a director who is a great administrator and non-profit fundraiser. Capitalize on the alumni involvement. But, for this role, don't worry about whether there's a Scouts or even a drum corps pedigree. Just get the best person for the job, get operating capital in the door and keep the books in order. Have him (her?) hire a COO/Program Coordinator type (with Board assistance) to handle the artistic end. THAT person should have the Scouts background.

There simply aren't a lot of people who handle both the administrative and the artistic roles well and we all know too many corps run into the ground by well meaning artistic types who never got their arms around the business end.

I can't think of an organization, steeped in tradition and lore, that fared well following the importing of an outsider to the helm. In just about every case I can think of, the organization became something else when that happened.

Regards,

John Swartz

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting points being made here. I enjoy that most posters on DCP try to be professional and curtious.

As I stated, there are lots of Scouts from the 70s, 80s, 90s, that are good musician, great teachers, creators, etc.

Most that are still in the activity did go else where unfortunately. From what I know from some of them, their departure was based on the corps unwillingness to be open to new ideas. If alumni from an older school of thought are in charge of restructuring, doesn't it seem that only ideas that gel with their will be accepted? Doesn't this seem to restart a bad cycle?

Most of the great name people I know of that left Scouts in the 90s, etc. have been some of the huge names in the activity, most pupils of Sal's.

(sorry for any mispelled names)

Scott Chandler

Van Matthews

BZ (last name?)

Scott Schultz

If there are people from the past who have been waiting their turn to be a part of Scouts staff, I assume Sal would have certainly welcomed anyone who he thought had a pulse on the current state of DCI and would have gladly brought them on board to teach/create.

If someone has been waiting their turn, have they been successful in DCI somewhere else, maybe even the BOA world? Seems very unlikely.

I really don't want to be a dooms-day guy, but my fear level is extremely high. It hurts when any corps goes through this, especailly an ICON like Scouts.

When the teaching staff is finally listed, you probably will not recognize one name of anyone who has been current or successful on any DCI or Band level for the past ten years. That should make everyone very nervous for the corps future existence.

I can't think of an organization, steeped in tradition and lore, that fared well following the importing of an outsider to the helm. In just about every case I can think of, the organization became something else when that happened.

Did you really mean "organization? Or, a "drum corps"?

Did you really mean "organization? Or, a "drum corps"?

I meant in general. I know that someone is going to come up with a bunch of groups that brought in someone from outside and the organizaton and didn't fundimentally change, but I just can't think of any. While on the other hand, I can think of examples where the outsider in putting his/her stamp on things tossed the baby out with the bathwater. I'm working in such an organization right now.

Regards,

John Swartz

Excuse me - the books at Madison ARE in order! Funny, I always thought the Board of Directors were supposed to raise capital also - not just the ExDir!!!! Hhmmmmm :sshh:

I'm not implying that Madison's books were not in order or that they don't do a good job fundraising. I don't know whether they do or not. However, they must going forward.

In general, ANY corps would do well adopting the model I described. I mentioned it in the Madison context because people speak of getting an alum in to run the corps and the immediate response, which I concurred with, stated that it isn't always the greatest idea to do so.

Hopkins, in his blog, complained about having to be in the office tending to administrative stuff, while the corps was on the road. It's tough to do both functions well (especially when you have more than one program to run.)

Yes, it would be nice if your Board was comprised of those who donate generously to the corps and their deep pocketed friends, but that's not always the case. Even if it were, fundraising has to go deeper than hitting your Board and their contacts up for money. The best administrators/fundraisers might not know how to put a great show on the field, any more than the artistic folks know how to raise money. It's simply two different skill sets.

Especially now, with gas at $3, if you don't do a good job in the office, the rest of the stuff doesn't matter. It will be controversial to say this, but raising cash has to be THE most important function of a corps from September - June. With sound finances, everything else will fall into place.

Edited by Phillygwm

From what I know from some of them, their departure was based on the corps unwillingness to be open to new ideas.

Actually, the number one reason why Scouts staff left was... (drum roll) "Money!"

Number one reason for Drum Corps problems today is... (drum roll) "Money!"

IMO, making a living in this activity is contributing to the problem, rather than to it's solution. If you love the activity, having your reasonable expenses and maybe a few beers covered should be payment enough. (Note: the exception of a full-time director within each corps with very strong administrative skills.) The bottom line is everyone should have a real life financial source outside of Drum Corps to sustain whatever your personal goals may be...

It's not just DC either!

Walk the walk: With todays, budget cuts in school districts around the country, the best solution to this problem (IMO) is family members with a skill stepping forward and donating their time and talents! Do it for the love, not the money! For the past 4 years, I volunteer taught 6 percussion classes at a Madison Middle School and High School. Why? Because the kids appreciate it as do the parents, and I like the feeling of giving. If you can't afford the time right now, that's probably a sign that the timing isn't right for you... Maybe later, if you do have the time - give it a shot! I bet you'll feel great doing it!!!

(sorry 'bout the sermon)

#2 can't work - Colin is the new caption head at the Cadets.

Is he really? That's too bad. I would consider that a step down.

Edited by Jazzycat1

Mr. Rocco,

His name is ELVORD. I am not suggesting Jimmy Elvord teach the Scouts. I am only saying that Tomsa will bring the ELVORD VIBE! If you do not know what the ELVORD VIBE IS, talk to any former Scout, and they will explain.

I saw Elvord at the Stadium bar in Madison after the Alumni show. He looks almost as young as the first time he yelled at me in the Scout's Jr. Corp. A Madison original.

I saw Elvord at the Stadium bar in Madison after the Alumni show. He looks almost as young as the first time he yelled at me in the Scout's Jr. Corp. A Madison original.

Hey Mr. StrongResolution,

We marched together in that corps.