Corps show titles

When did corps start naming their shows to tie in with their concepts.

I cant think of any before 87 ie Pictures at an exhibition from SCV

Now days the concepts and names of shows are common place and seem to get more and more bizzare and out of left field,but when did it all begin ?

Garfield did "No More War" in 1971 (?? MikeD help me out here - I know you know if I got the year right).

Back then though, the "concept" show was the exception, not the norm. What would we annouce on the field now if a corps didn't state a theme or a name for their show?

VK are coming back, maybe they would do that just to be VK!

Back then though, the "concept" show was the exception, not the norm. What would we annouce on the field now if a corps didn't state a theme or a name for their show?

I don't know...the name of the corps? :rolleyes: The music will already be in the program.

Garfield had been the first ones to use titles that reflected something other than the name of the actual composition(s) in '85 with "A Bernstein Portrait", followed by "Undiscovered Bernstein" in '86. Most others who used titles at the time were simply using the names of the original pieces (eg Cavaliers doing "The Planets" and PR doing "Spartacus").

I don't mind simple titles that help the audience into the design thought process ("Faust", "Machine"), but the overly-dramatic things like "Beethoven:Mastery and Madness" and "Primal Forces" are like "Waiting for Gufman" for marching band. Simple and understated is better. Wit is even better, though it's in short supply most years.

I don't know...the name of the corps? :rolleyes: The music will already be in the program.

The corps announcement used to be "From Madison Wisconsin, the Madison Scouts!". Pretty simple. If the new VK is like the old VK I think this is the sort of thing they would love to poke a little fun at.