I've Come to the Conclusion that I Just Don't Like Characters

While sitting in Camp Randall, I finally realized that I just don't like characters on the field. Not any of them. I know that they have always been around. I know that one or two corps will probably use them every year. But, I just don't like them.

Characters are designed to draw your eyes to them. What that means to me is that it's harder to scan the field and really appreciate all of the other cool stuff that is going on.

This year many of you complained about the Cadets characters, and I agree. But, I also didn't like Phantom's Maguriette (gasp!) or the Colt's featured guard person who had the different colored flag. I know that some of you will say that some characters fit the show and some don't, and that's true, but I still find them distracting.

Last year, I kind of had to watch Madison out of one eye so that I could see the corps and not look at Carmen.

You don't have to flame me and tell me that I'm stupid. You might be right. But, I'm just curious. Am I the only one who dislikes all characters so much?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

While sitting in Camp Randall, I finally realized that I just don't like characters on the field. Not any of them. I know that they have always been around. I know that one or two corps will probably use them every year. But, I just don't like them.

Characters are designed to draw your eyes to them. What that means to me is that it's harder to scan the field and really appreciate all of the other cool stuff that is going on.

This year many of you complained about the Cadets characters, and I agree. But, I also didn't like Phantom's Maguriette (gasp!) or the Colt's featured guard person who had the different colored flag. I know that some of you will say that some characters fit the show and some don't, and that's true, but I still find them distracting.

Last year, I kind of had to watch Madison out of one eye so that I could see the corps and not look at Carmen.

You don't have to flame me and tell me that I'm stupid. You might be right. But, I'm just curious. Am I the only one who dislikes all characters so much?

Very cautiously, I tend to agree. But let me recommend that you duck.

Very cautiously, I tend to agree. But let me recommend that you duck.

Very cautiously, I agree with Granny.

no, you're not alone. I personally feel as though a drum corps should be able to tell a story by just using their performance as the corps proper.

no, you're not alone. I personally feel as though a drum corps should be able to tell a story by just using their performance as the corps proper.

Which begs the question, is it effective for corps be trying to tell very complex stories in 12 minutes?

Which begs the question, is it effective for corps be trying to tell very complex stories in 12 minutes?

Heh - remember the Monty Python sketch about a contest to try to summarize "Proust"?

Why have the storyline of a show centered around four people when it can be centered around 135 people?

I actually believe this too. And nearly every show I was involved with had characters pulling focus from the rest of the corps.

One of my primary irritations with them is that a performance is a one-time thing - but the video of it lives FOREVER. And nearly every video I've ever seen had the multi-camera shot parked on the characters at times when the rest of the corps was actually doing something cool... like performing a drum corps show. (Kinda reminds me of a two-year-old drawn to something shiny.)

And on the Legacy DVDs, there are parts of shows where the only thing we have preserved for posterity is the special character soloists -and the rest of it is lost.

Edited by bradrick

Granny:

I agree. It looks like you and I are seeing eye to eye today. Blue Knights didn't have my favorite show of the year, but they did have my favorite write-up in the yearbook:

"The show, pure and simple, is of and about the music; so don't look for a storyline."

Yeah Blue Knights! Great shows like Phantom 03 didn't tell a story (at least I don't think so) but they knocked my socks off!