Dear Future Director of the Madison Scouts...

Competitve placement isn't relevant to ones enjoyment of the show, is it?

We further so much of the "Top 12 or bust" attitude nowadays. DCI is as guilty as anyone, but they have to promote who draws the band kids overall.

...heck, the 13-23 kids didn't even get a CD, and get left out in the cold on a lot of the the coverage.

14th place isn't the end of the world for any corps.

If I'm entertained, I don't care if the Scouts come in 60th place. :)

AMEN!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I like those shows..... SO WHAT!!!! GO MADISON!!!!

A Drum Corps Fan's Dream: Part Tres!!!!!!!!!

Woot.

I do too. But that doesn't change the fact that there's a lot of irony inherent in saying "don't be generic" while at the same time saying that you want Madison to do a carbon copy of 88, 95, and 96, among others. I love those shows, but I'd rather not see Madison put old wine in new bottles. That's the epitome of "generic." I, and a lot of others, like what I've seen in the past few years, and I hope they continue trying new things instead of falling back on what worked for them a decade ago, great as it was.

...and took first, won numerous I & E awards year after year, played shows with a freedom to actually communicate with the audience by letting the players play sometimes outside of the "box"! Yeah baby, that was nice!

Thanks Clay. Very well put as usual.

And I can't thank you enough for working with us

on the Alumni Project. :)

(Do any of those breathing excercizes apply for Bass Guitar? :P )

...and took 14th! Yeah baby, that was nice!

thats an interesting explanation for what happened in 02.

Completely wrong, but interesting nonetheless.

I do too. But that doesn't change the fact that there's a lot of irony inherent in saying "don't be generic" while at the same time saying that you want Madison to do a carbon copy of 88, 95, and 96, among others. I love those shows, but I'd rather not see Madison put old wine in new bottles. That's the epitome of "generic." I, and a lot of others, like what I've seen in the past few years, and I hope they continue trying new things instead of falling back on what worked for them a decade ago, great as it was.

Well, carrying the wine analogy even further...one great thing about top notch wine producers (and top drum corps) is that you know what you're getting. When you open a Penfolds Grange or a bottle of Chateau D'Yquem, you know you're in for a treat. You expect a certain something in the body, the nose and the taste. There are subtle variations each year, but the quality remains high. Bottling, corking and storing all advance...but the wine is inherently the same.

Phantom Regiment is a good example of this in the corps world. The visual tricks may increase, the guard may go co-ed...but what works is classical music played loudly. Year after year, from New World to Shostakovich to Faust...there's a certain brand (or bottling, if you will :P) of that old Phantom Regiment corps that doesn't change at the core.

I see no reason why Madison can't hold fast to what they have as a foundation, and build it into something that's a modern classic itself. There's myriad numbers of Latin jazz pieces....lots of musicals and tons of big, brassy balls out music that are in the same vein as 1975, 1995 or even 2002.

Can the Scouts have success by changing things?

...sure, and they certainly have. 6th place in 2005 is no joke.

Could they also have success by tweaking the old formula?

Well, maybe it's time to see. :)

Edited by bawker

Your understanding of the term "generic" is curious. Generic refers to comparisons with others. If Madison is the only one doing something they cant be generic. What they do now is closer to your description. Note: They do it very well and I am very proud of them.

As long as everyone else is doing this.....

Dear New Director of the Madison Scouts,

Welcome to the brotherhood. You are following in some great footsteps. Beebe, Howard, Stewart, Wall, (to be fair) Salas