Pay Attention D.C.I.

A friend wrote this ,,,and sadly,,, it hits the mark 110 %

"Subject: Good Ol' Drum Corps aint so good any more...

To All Concerned:

The wealth of music in Public Domain has yet to be tapped by modern drum & bugle corps; arrangers haven’t scratched the surface of some of the GREATEST music available. The Glockenspiel was introduced years ago to help fill in the notes unavailable to the brass of those days. Now that a full chromatic scale is possible, who needs THE PIT? Only field instruments that can be played on the march are appropriate! Forget Xylophones, Marimbas, Trap Drums, Chimes, Large Kettle Drums and any other bazaar static electrified instruments! Xylophone and Drum Corps don’t cut it.

The original scores being played sound terrible for the most-part; they are about as musical as Wind Chimes and sound like brass exercises, not even from Arbon’s Book. Now days the marching is excellent (although the Rick Maass’ Roll step is exaggerated), drumlines outstanding, horns have tremendous potential but play Abstract Nonsense. Gimmicks alone don’t cut it.

The Phantom Regiment (who I normally praise) through me this year with Classical music from the dark side, without a libretto I was lost and even with a program the flowery language really wasn’t much help. If ya’ got to explain it, forget it!

Good luck in Pasadena, as lots of us who knew REAL drum & bugle corps won’t bother to spend big bucks to see and hear absurd bastardized bands posing as drum & bugle corps perform. Sorry kids!

Bye the way the Madison Scouts Alumni Corps ran away with the show in Madison! They were the most entertaining, exciting, fun to watch and listen to; even the Cavaliers should have been taking notes. Enough said! Oh, and bye the way, this is the consciences of most of the people I spoke with (about forty-five in our group), save a couple of Cavalier fans. We as a group of experienced marching drum and bugle corps personnel past, present and future, who represent a knowledgeable force beyond the gullible, wide-eyed, band minded people who think constant innovation is wonderful. What next; Saxophones, Clarinets, English Horns, Bassoons, Violins, Bass Violins, Chellos and Guitars? I’ve been waiting for Sousaphones and Trombones; they would be welcomed as true brass.

Amplification is absurd and vocalists in Drum and Bugle Corps even worst! KEEP DRUM & BUGLE CORPS UNPLUGGED! In other words, “Shape up or ship out Drum Corps International!” "

"A friend of mine",,,more and more people agree. PERIOD :(

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He lost me at "Arbon" :P

Good luck in Pasadena, as lots of us who knew REAL drum & bugle corps won’t bother to spend big bucks to see and hear absurd bastardized bands posing as drum & bugle corps perform. Sorry kids!

Thanks for your continued support <**>