While we're on the topic of director changes...

So my bando poser wannabe friend tell me, how does winning bring in money? If you had the slightest clue on DC finances you'd realize that all the money earned by the corps (souvies, performance fees etc.) play an insignificant part in a DC budget. Bingo brings in the big bucks and the bingo players don't give a rat's ### about the corps.
right, and under the old system, winning a championship meant you got a higher appearance fee the next season as opposed to coming in second or lower. sponsorships and donations are also a huge amount of a corps' operating budget.

bingo players don't give a rat's?? they might....please don't believe there is only one game in town. i'm sure local churces or VFWs or other organizations hold games as well...some players go because they want to support the organization sponsoring the game.

while i agree that if anyone wanted the general public to know the details, we would know...i think we all might want to stay calm about such things. J.W. Koester has been DCI's Division II & III Coordinator and doing a great job with it...keep up the good work!!

Edited by tubawarrior

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

winning at that time meant you got a higher appearance fee the next season.

Maybe my memory is off, but I'm pretty sure that back then the top 8 corps all received the same amount of money in appearance fees. And while NO amount of money can be considered insignificant these days, if you're counting on appearance fees as the main source of income to keep your corps operating, you're in big big trouble.

Without looking at every corps financials I’d be willing to bet that performance fees and souvie sales contribute to less than 10% of the overall budget. Although winning may yield a temporary spike in overall sales corps like BD, SCV, Madison, Cavies and Cadets have consistent numbers, win or lose.

As far as bingo players and corps supporters, have you ever worked bingo? We had people who had been playing with us for decades and had never scene the corps. More likely than not when the corps rehearsal co-incited with a bingo game we would get complaints about all the racket. Bingo players play where they feel they have the best chance of winning, where they are the most comfortable and who plays the most entertaining games.

Oh and to anyone I called a bando poser wannabe tell me the name of the DC you marched and I’ll apologize and retract my statement. If not the term is accurate!

Oh and to anyone I called a bando poser wannabe tell me the name of the DC you marched and I’ll apologize and retract my statement. If not the term is accurate!

You know, Paul, this is why hardly anyone takes you seriously around here.

You don't have to have marched in order to know anything or have a valid opinion or comment to share about this activity.

The only place this kind of attitude is appreciated is RAMD. Maybe you should visit (and stay) there?

You know, Paul, this is why hardly anyone takes you seriously around here.

You don't have to have marched in order to know anything or have a valid opinion or comment to share about this activity.

The only place this kind of attitude is appreciated is RAMD. Maybe you should visit (and stay) there?

You go girl (two snaps with a twist)

Hmm... others have already established that you are rude and condescending, so I’ll stay away from making that assertion. However, tell me this oh wise one... what the heck does marching in a drum corps have to do with understanding the financial aspects of a drum corps? Enlighten us and present some data to validate you are an expert at something other than participating in a bingo event. Concrete facts... figures... stats... show us your comments are more than just opinion. What is the breakdown by source of a typical top twelve corps' revenue and expenses and, statistically, what kind of a spike is observed in souvenir revenue in the year following winning a championship? What other spikes in revenue typically occur after winning a Championship (charitable donations, etc.)? Give us something more than your lame preface, "I'd be willing to bet" because that's nothing more than a guess. Absent the data, it seems to me you are merely presenting opinions, which is ironic because it seems you don’t want others to express their opinions in this forum. Also, from where did you receive your degree in Finance or Accounting and/or how many years experience do you have in the financial operation of any organization (periodically balancing your checkbook doesn't count)? Oh yeah, and how many years of marching drum corps did your college require for admissions into its Accounting or Finance school?

Unlike most Marching Bands (I had to choke on that one) Drum Corps' are private orginizations and are not technically subject to public scutiny. However, they do perform in a public arena, and therefore will never be exempt from it, no matter how badly they wish for it.