Brass Mouthpieces

Piper

Lots of groups require the use of Conn Hellebergs... But sometimes i'd just like to use my own mouthpiece

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone should be required. I think each corps's website or instructor should say something like "brass players should be ready to perform on proffesional size and grade mouthpieces of thier choice, each member should take into effect what size/brand/etc has on their tone quality, range, and and general over all sound. If you aren't sure, email the brass caption for examples or for any questions." Somethign like this, they could also list simply 1 generic size for each section so members have at least something to shoot for. I personally would never require a line to use identical brand or size. I use a brand that I don't know anyone else that uses it, and I sound the best on it, i'm still testing new ones however just to be sure.

When I marched, our high end sop guys seemed to favor the double cupped Parduba - which I don't think are even available anymore. They claimed that it helped them at the top of the register, but I'm a perc guy so I woudn't know.

I think it's a pretty rediculous standard, especially for trumpet. People have different facial structures and require different diameters. Now, specifying that everbody be on a C cup, for example, wouldn't be so bad; but, a 3-diameter might be too large for some people, or too small for others.

Actually if you want a hornline who will blend well together you need a standard for mouthpieces. If you have a lead on a vincent vizzutti mouthpiece and some leads on 3c's or what not, you will have a inconstistant blend. You'll have some darker tones and brighter/shriller tones sticking out which ruins the overall idea that the staff has for the hornline's sound. In concert settings, sure use what you will but I will bet that the conductor of the ensemble wouldn't care much for a very bright trumpet in his darker orchestra setting. Get what I mean? It's the ensemble sound they're looking for, not what specific facial structure the players are on. As far as the C cup idea, i agree although I wouldnt have anyone on a shallower mouthpiec than a 5c. Just my two cents.

Actually if you want a hornline who will blend well together you need a standard for mouthpieces. If you have a lead on a vincent vizzutti mouthpiece and some leads on 3c's or what not, you will have a inconstistant blend. You'll have some darker tones and brighter/shriller tones sticking out which ruins the overall idea that the staff has for the hornline's sound. In concert settings, sure use what you will but I will bet that the conductor of the ensemble wouldn't care much for a very bright trumpet in his darker orchestra setting. Get what I mean? It's the ensemble sound they're looking for, not what specific facial structure the players are on. As far as the C cup idea, i agree although I wouldnt have anyone on a shallower mouthpiec than a 5c. Just my two cents.

That is Ridiculous.

You use a mouthpiece that helps you do the job that needs to get done. If a trumpet player is playing on a shilke 6 1/2 AL in a hornline like phantom's than he is not going to blend in, but that does not mean that you put the whole trumpet section on a a Bach 1.5C.

Edited by 90'sMelloguy

More misconceptions about brass playing being bandied about here.

In the BACH mouthpiece line which probably 90% of drum corps kids (and the trumpet world) plays on, the C-Cups are all DIFFERENT depths. The 5C has the deepest of them, the 3C is actually the SHALLOWEST of the C-cups. Now, if we're talking more precise makes -- like Curry, GR, Warburton, Laskey, etc. -- there are standardized cup depths.

"It's the ensemble sound they're looking for, not what specific facial structure the players are on."

Mouthpiece is the least important factor in ensemble blend. There have been plenty of commerical lead trumpet players who used straight 3C's, but have a lazer tone. So much of trumpet playing has to do with your sound concept -- knowing what you want to sound like. You've got air usage, oral cavity size and shape, the mechanics of the embouchure. If you tell kids that they've got to play a 1.5C or a 3C and they're not ready for it, they're going to crash and burn. Simple as that. You're going to create frustration, you're going to create poor playing habits, and then you're really going to have problems with blend.

Then, you've got the whole issue of an open aperture vs. closed aperture. Open apertures require larger mouthpieces to accomodate for swelling of the lip tissue. Closed apertures are more efficient, allow the use of smaller diameter mouthpieces; but, most people don't realize the benefits of this style of playing. Not to mention that a lot of drum corps playing technique programs promote open apertures through the use of large amounts of mouthpiece buzzing.

In truth, the trumpet tone IS supposed to be BRIGHT, or perhaps brilliant. Should it be piercing and cutting, in some contexts. However, a trumpet should sound like a trumpet -- with a ringing sound that is full of high overtones. It should NOT sound like a flugelhorn (see some Monette trumpets). It should not be edgy and sharp though.

Going back to the mechanics of playing and misconceptions, facial structure is THE -- and I mean THE abosulute 100% most important determination in the diameter of mouthpiece a person plays on. Wide flat front teeth; small even teeth; teeth that form a point; overbite vs. underbite; teardrop lips; thin lips vs. fleshy lips -- all factors in determining appropriate mouthpiece size. A kid is going to sound like what he sounds like no matter what he's on.

Now, if I could just convince 99% of the band directors in the country that start every kid on a 7C, moves them to a 3C in 9th grade, and the to a 1.5C (if they're really good and they don't struggle to play above the staff due to a mouthpiece that is too large) that such arbitrary moves are just...dumb.

If you really want to standardize things, the best idea would to buy everybody Warburton's so you can standarize the backbore shape and cup depth, but allow them to select the diameter which best suits their playing.

Edited by lowend