The 2006 Cavaliers.

Congats to everyone that competed! I agree that Cavs deservedly won the brass caption. Musically speaking, Cavaliers sounded more professional than PR and their show communicated best to the whole audience. Great work on a truly integrated, entertaining, and memorable musical and visual experience Cavs!!

I also thought it was great to see how well Bluecoats turned it on in the end. They are for real!

Great job DCI on the ESPN broadcast. Thanks!!!

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Second off...those are my opinions. and somewhat biased against the cavaliers

Don't worry, we could tell. :P

As for the debate between Phantom and Cavaliers, re: brass, I think it's a matter of philosophies. Cavaliers struck me as cleaner than Regiment, while maintaining a better sound. Watching again last night (which isn't the best medium, I know, but it's what I had), I heard a Regiment line that was tremendous, and selling their show like perhaps no one else. But I also heard a line that used volume and presence as their sales pitch, sometimes at the expense of ensemble clarity. Now the difference is slight to be sure, and I'm right with anyone who says that these were the two best hornlines of the year. I loved both the shows, but even though I can understand when some people say they thought Phantom had the better (read: favorite) book, I can also understand and support the judges when they said that the Cavaliers had the better performance.

Machine still not selling me.... Enjoyed Phantom and felt their performance was better.... Definitely felt there was more clarity in the Cavalier brass book but it was much easier and seemed to me that at anytime when they played a difficult passage those playing were standing still. Have to give it to them in that they visually get that done every year yet nobody seems to care or hold them accountable for it. So to me brass performance is about a mixture of difficulty of demand both musically and physically as we got rid of the tick system a long time ago. Just my personal preference as each fan tends to like one style or another.

Oh well does not matter much what any of us think or say as it is done and the Cavaliers are the champions. Congratulations to all the staff and members.

Look forward to next year and hopefully it will bs as close and interesting throughout the season.

Jumps on the phantoms brass was/is better bandwagon

Hopefully there is room for another. PR had the best brass book and performance IMHO.

However, I stil agree completely with the original post. As I sat and watched I felt certain that the Cavies would win. I could not imagine anyone else beating them regardless of the spreads. Sure they were beatable in certain captions, but as a package I thought they were clearly a notch above. I walked away Saturday of the mind that 2006 Cavies might be the best designed show since 1984 Cadets (my personal favorite), AND they performed the heck out of it.

I will say, for the Cavaliers winning...their machine got broken quite a bit....

Not likely. They'll get the pick of the litter (guys anyway) for 07' recruiting. It'll be off the charts.

What impressed me and satisfied me completely is the fact that the top two corps this year told a story completely through the use of their music and visual capabilities and needed no words or microphones to do it.

In the age of amplification/micc'd singing...Cavaliers and Phantom Regiment (among others) reached, touched, and communicated with the audience and not one word was needed, thats what drum and bugle corps is all about.

Bravo to them both.

~G~

I hope Hoppy read that. :)

06, not a show that screamed "champions" to me.

I saw everyone's show only once...in Atlanta. Upon the conclusion of the Cavies' show, I indeed thought that it was championship caliber and further, I thought it was the best designed show I've seen in the 29 years since my first viewing of DCI finals. The odd thing is that my vantage point in Atlanta was very close to the field, so I didn't even get to see the great drill and visual package until last night's telecast on ESPN2, which gave me only a few glimpses of their outstanding visual design and performance.

I was amazed that Phantom beat Cavies in Visual GE not once but twice this year, and that is not based on my experiences viewing the shows, because like I said, from my vantage point I didn't get to see the overall visual package. I based my feelings on years of the Cavaliers' dominance in Visual and Phantom's lack of Visual depth and excitement. However, when I watched the telecast, I can clearly see how Phantom won Visual GE...they certainly stepped up their Visual program this year! Man...that drill was a gas, as was Cavies'. That caption could have gone either way, just as the brass caption could have. Both corps were outstanding in drill and brass.

My Fraternity brother who i talked into watching the show last night (he had seen a few shows from my DVD's previously) sent me a text message after the show....

"WOW!!! i was totally impressed by the cavaliers...better than 007!!! i will definetely be going to compitions with you next yr!!!"

so basically..... 1 more fan from tonight's showing

i got similar comments from some of my other friends

I TOTALLY AGREE. I thought Cavies had it all. No one could

touch 'em.