DCA Percussion Thoughts

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10th in musicalirty seemed dead on to me, as did our low score in performance, our 1st feature did not line up as well as it has had in the past... 11th in feild sounds right too...

What did everyone think of DCA placements in the Percussion Caption?

I thought MBI deserved a better score.

Thoughts?

MBI was once again, in my opinion, the class of the field in terms of percussion. Hawthorne certainly crammed alot of notes, and Bucs had a killer bass line, but year after year MBI seems to bring the COMPLETE package to the field, always striving to innovate and take it to 'the next level'.

Not sure what happened.

Edited by ChutaChu

Bucs, IMO had the best total package.

Cabs were ###### close, but an issue at the Rumps derailed them.

Empire was up there, but just seemed to be missing something.

MBI, while i thought was well written, seemed to suffer at the end performance wise with the stuff on the props.

Bush's pit was gorgeous. battery came across as too hidden.

top to bottom tho, i felt it was the best DCA percussion field in at least 20 years

Finals scores, IMO, were pretty realistic. I might have had Carolina just a touch lower, but not much. Personally enjoyed Cabs and MBI the most but I can understand the judges opinions. Didn't care for the (non)audibility or appearance of the CV's short shelled snares and tenors but they had competent players and a decent book.

While were on the topic of percussion adjudication, how about that snare I&E! OMG! What were they watching? They had kids that couldn't play a double stroke roll at any tempo without horrible pulsation placing in the middle of the pack! Oien and Morales got dumped bad and poor Rick Beckham found NO LOVE from Stevens and Pagatto (I had him in 5th, they put him 14th), otrageous! Great old school drummers like Flowers got whupped by kids that should be taping his sticks and Lee should have been DQ'd, although the 57 that he scored seemed about right. At least they got the winner correct IMHO - nice job HULKA! Sorry to ramble off topic.....I'll try to be calm now.

uh yeah, Irv and Chris dont know anything about drumming.

ok.

next funny line please

Didn't say that, I have alot of respect for Chris, don't know Irv too well. Merely stating my opinions about a very subjective topic. Were you there? Can you actually agree with these placings? I can't believe that I am that much "out of the loop" when I see inept neophytes whose greatest skill is stick juggling beat some of the better rudimental "old school" people. I had no such complaints of adjudication watching the DCI vids. Oh well, I guess I forgot everything I ever knew. BTW I have played in 4 I&Es and won 2 of them so I thought that I new what the judges were looking for.

Edited by Storkysr

Didn't say that,

actually, you more or less did.

I have alot of respect for Chris, don't know Irv too well. Merely stating my opinions about a very subjective topic.

understandable. and remember they had to juggle 27 people and actually had the sheets with the criteria on them

Were you there?

i caught probably 15 of them

Can you actually agree with these placings?

with what i saw, yes.

I can't believe that I am that much "out of the loop" when I see inept neophytes whose greatest skill is stick juggling beat some of the better rudimental "old school" people. I had no such complaints of adjudication watching the DCI vids. Oh well, I guess I forgot everything I ever knew.

or maybe you need to see the sheets. it aint just about beats ya know.

actually, you more or less did.

understandable. and remember they had to juggle 27 people and actually had the sheets with the criteria on them

i caught probably 15 of them

with what i saw, yes.

or maybe you need to see the sheets. it aint just about beats ya know.

You had to show up early to see the people mentioned, you obviously did not see them. You have no right to judge those people wich you did not see, and attack someone else for their opinion.