DCA Percussion Thoughts

Jeff MUST know what he's talking about. He said my Front Ensemble was "gorgeous"

:worthy:

I can't argue with that!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now let me ask you...have you seen the sheets? do you know exactly what they are looking for?

if you do, then you'll realize it's part performance and part showmanship.

Good point, Jeff. Can you tell me how much each is worth? If the showmanship sub-caption is that inordinately weighted (IMHO) I wonder why Lee didn't take it all LOL.

i thought MBI's line was smoking and their pit was amazing - what a concert bass sound! 2nd place in my books.

bush's pit was fantastic, but the battery didn't come through as clearly - blame the hornline i guess. :-)

reading's overall perc was the best - top to bottom, the best performed book - especially the basses and the pit.

great year for dca drumlines.

at least most people seem to agree that HULKA was INCREDIBLE - congrats to one of the nicest and most humble people in MCL. we are lucky to have scott (and penny too!) as part of the MCL family.

cheers! :mmm:

-DM|MD

anyone can disagree with me anytime they want, I don't care. just do it intelligently and not like a whiny kid.

What are you talking about?

Jeff MUST know what he's talking about. He said my Front Ensemble was "gorgeous"

:worthy:

my wife made me, she likes you :P

Good point, Jeff. Can you tell me how much each is worth? If the showmanship sub-caption is that inordinately weighted (IMHO) I wonder why Lee didn't take it all LOL.

i havent seen the sheets recently, but a few years ago it was i think 60/40. it may have changed, and i dont know to be honest. my guess is if it has changed, it may have gone closer to 50/50 than 75/25, but thats specualtion. based on the 60/40 split, i'd say from what I saw, they were right on

i thought MBI's line was smoking and their pit was amazing - what a concert bass sound! 2nd place in my books.

bush's pit was fantastic, but the battery didn't come through as clearly - blame the hornline i guess. :-)

reading's overall perc was the best - top to bottom, the best performed book - especially the basses and the pit.

great year for dca drumlines.

at least most people seem to agree that HULKA was INCREDIBLE - congrats to one of the nicest and most humble people in MCL. we are lucky to have scott (and penny too!) as part of the MCL family.

cheers! :mmm:

-DM|MD

i agree on that concert bass sound. it reminded me of the Yamaha sound from a few years ago.

What are you talking about?

the delivery of the discussion during said disagreement

Ouch! Well I may be old in your mind (55) but I sure don't FEEL bitter. I just believe in presenting my opinion when I perceive an injustice.

I am a huge fan of DCI and "modern" developments in field percussion. There is something wrong, however, when visuals and poor attempts at hybrid and neo-rudiments are scored equal to or higher than musicality and execution. It shouldn't be about throwing down as many beats as you can regardless of quality. The snare line I have worked with for the past 2 years averaged about 16.5 yrs of age. We played Scott Johnson charts and, although we are not world beaters at this point, we try to stress technique and musicianship. It is discouraging to see so much credit given for "throwing down" without the development of the tools necessarry to do so. There is no shortcut for quality.

Sorry you don't like my communication style. I'll try to get over it.

I thought the TOP 5 in I&E were right on.. maybe a placement change here or there.....

I didn't see Lee's solo, as I was lubricating... I mean warming up!! I do believe that Rick should have been higher... oh well, most of us go out and play for the fun of it, because we still can!! DCA is the only time I get to play for real...and I don;t go out for the ego part of it....(well maybe just a little b**bs .... Now we just gotta get the young'ns to learn more and understand its not all tricks and "play as fast as you can'!!

ENJOY YOUR 3 MINUTES>.... thats what I've heard anyway!

thankyewverymuch

Oh wait.. this thread was about the competitive corps percussion sections wasn't it??? how do we just get off track!

Nice pit Bush...Joe..

CV played well at finals

Bucs were excellant

Hurcs line definitly improved over the summer.

and I liked MBI .

but the BRIDGEMEN DRUMLINE.. MAN THEY THREW IT DOWN !!!!!!

ok.. bring on 2007