Crowns Audish?

Kjac18

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To anyone who wants to march somewhere and you can't afford to go to camps, I say call around to all the corps you're interested in about a month before move in to see if they have any spots. You never know what can happen.

That's how I marched my first two summers

another thing to think about, Crown aged out like 6 brass members. Assuming they keep a pretty good return rate, llike they always do, it's going to be hard to get into Crown this year... because there is already a whole lot of talent there.

~>conner

That's how I marched my first two summers

That's how I marched this summer too!

Crown did age out only 6 brass players this year, but definitely don't let that stop you from auditioning. You never know how many vets can't put the money together or decide to go "chase rings" (hopefully very few of those people because it's foolish)

That's how I marched this summer too!

Crown did age out only 6 brass players this year, but definitely don't let that stop you from auditioning. You never know how many vets can't put the money together or decide to go "chase rings" (hopefully very few of those people because it's foolish)

Generally not a problem (the ring chasing) at Crown. One person last year in the Hornline.

Jumping into this thread late, but I have a few thoughts to add. In no particular order:

1) After talking with members and observing a ton of hornlines over the past ten years, the one constant is that the real "talent level" of any corps is never what it's rumored to be by fans and members of other groups. This is nearly universal, but is especially true of the Blue Devils.

2) The biggest factors in the success of hornlines is the development of a systematic approach to playing, the ability of the staff to communicate that approach and the willingness of the members to submerse themselves in that approach(this is one area where talent can actually work against you). What the approach actually consists of is far less important than people generally think. Just cruise on over to the Trumpet Herald forums and peruse all the different "schools" and the fights between their proponents if you don't believe it. There's a lot of different ways to play a brass instrument well...or at least a lot of different ways to describe it.

3) The particular pedagogy of Garfield, Star, Crown, etc. is not all that unique, but I will guess from the sound they produce that they play with probably the most open aperture setting of any line you'll find. I suspect this is also why you don't hear a lot of extreme range playing from these groups, as an open setting is not particularly conducive to the upper range of the trumpet. It's actually refreshing to hear a line that is not trained to all play like trumpet players.

4) I like Mexican food.

Right on the money. Great post.