Crowns Audish?

Kjac18

"Audish?"
If a DCI corps is really the way you want to go, I'd say just go for it now. You only have so many Jr. Corps years available to you. One of my best friends at Star was a sax player who learned baritone only a few months before the first camp. At the very least, demonstrating that you took the time to learn a new instrument to be there will count in your favor.

DCA is great too but you can march there as long as you want after you age out...well, that's as long as your body holds out anyway. :)

well after you body gives theres alumni corps haha then you don't have to do any moving except walking on and off the field

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a lot of people weed themselves out of drum corps... people will go to one camp and decide they can't hack it. Some people decide they can't hack it after being given a spot.

Determination and dedication don't make you an amazing player, but they can get you 80% of the way to having an amazing summer.

As long as things are relatively similar today as they were when I marched, in terms of auditioning, I agree.

well after you body gives theres alumni corps haha then you don't have to do any moving except walking on and off the field

Well I don't know. Marching with Star Alums in the Indy 500 parade was pretty tough on this old turd. Maybe I should consider mini-corps instead of alumni corps. :P On the other hand, playing in a brass line of 150 can't be passed up.

At Crown, all 72 spots are open every year. Last year probobly 150 people tried out for the horn line.

As many have said, those that do well in the CC hornline are those that are willing to trust thier instructors, that have a great attitude, and and that have a great work ethic. Talent in the hornline at Crown is homegrown...ie those members have grown into great players.

Heck, Star didn't even have a full line in '92 until the third week of July. We didn't really have auditions where they said "you're in and you're not."

You had cuts the first camp for the 92 season in November of '91. I should know, I was the LAST guy to make it over to the area the vets were practicing in. I got in there a few minutes before we made the recording of the opener.

I remember on Friday all the vets went to the cafeteria to practice the show music and the rest of us would audition with Donnie one by one. He'd send us either to the cafeteria with the vets or back to the room we came from. I was really nervous in my audition and got sent back to what I called the rookie room. I was still in there sunday afternoon playing When You Wish Upon a Star with all the other people who didn't make it. During the last hour of the camp Donnie came in went down the line with the baritones. We had to play the melody to When You Wish Upon a Star in front of the other 100 rejects. One flubbed note and he'd cut us off and move to the next guy.

*blarp* Next, *Fyorn* Next *DooohDooohBrrrb* Next, *DoooooohhhFarp* Next. When it was my turn picked up the horn, but I couldn't stop shaking. Somehow, I nailed it (with a lot of unintentional vibrato) and Donnie said to me: "Go to the other room"

Unfortunately I didn't make it back to the December camp. I count that experience as the only time I ever saw Star live.

Edited by Dash Fieldpaint

You had cuts the first camp for the 92 season in November of '91. I should know, I was the LAST guy to make it over to the area the vets were practicing in. I got in there a few minutes before we made the recording of the opener.

I remember on Friday all the vets went to the cafeteria to practice the show music and the rest of us would audition with Donnie one by one. He'd send us either to the cafeteria with the vets or back to the room we came from. I was really nervous in my audition and got sent back to what I called the rookie room. I was still in there sunday afternoon playing When You Wish Upon a Star with all the other people who didn't make it. During the last hour of the camp Donnie came in went down the line with the baritones. We had to play the melody to When You Wish Upon a Star in front of the other 100 rejects. One flubbed note and he'd cut us off and move to the next guy.

*blarp* Next, *Fyorn* Next *DooohDooohBrrrb* Next, *DoooooohhhFarp* Next. When it was my turn picked up the horn, but I couldn't stop shaking. Somehow, I nailed it (with a lot of unintentional vibrato) and Donnie said to me: "Go to the other room"

Unfortunately I didn't make it back to the December camp. I count that experience as the only time I ever saw Star live.

I've heard a lot of Donnie/Star stories like that... I would have been shaking too...

From reading about the way auditions were run at Star and having the rookie and veterans rooms, Crown auditions are pretty much the same. We have a Purple room where new auditionees go first and the Cream room, where veterans go. Throughout the weekend rookies are called in individually to play for Matt Harloff and Donnie Van Doren and then placed in which room they deem fit for him.

On the topic of talent, Crown, from what I have been told, has some of the lesser talent of the "big boys" of DCI. The thing that everyone has said about 'buying into the technique and applying technique' is what the staff impresses upon us all summer. Using the 'breathe DAH' technique and such is something that makes us the hornline that we become.