Crowns Audish?

Kjac18

Are you serious? There's no way Crown doesn't have some of the more talented kids in the activity... you have to have at least a baseline of talent, and with a hornline that sounds like that, that baseline has to be pretty high.

"Breathe-dah" is a great concept, but is by no means pixie-dust.

Let me clarify some things that you and Jared both mentioned in their posts.

The use of the "breath-dah" phrase has come to represent the teaching pedagogy that was perfected by Donnie Van Doren and others, and was extensivly used at Garfield, and Later Star, and now at Crown and Blue Stars. It is simply a nickname to describe the whole package. PART of this package is certainly taking a breath and articulation, of course, but it also features playing in tune, within the ensemble, and EVERYBODY contributing, all whilst reducing mental errors.

This is of course is what every good brass program teaches. It is by no means exlusive to Crown or anyone for that matter.

I would say that the individuals teaching at CC have made that difference. The team has been there for 4 years and has been able to grow a pool of talent over the years. DVD and Matt have a great reputation for taking average kids and making them great. That of course leads us to the next question..talent.

There are certainly talented kids in the CC hornline. When you consider where the hornline started in 2003, this year is head and shoulders above. This year was easily the most talented line the corps has ever fielded. There are many fine musicians in the line. Overall, though, Crown does not have the level of talent that BD, or Cadets, or Phantom enjoy. Many Star alums have said that it was the same there.

The magic of the brass team at CC and their approach is that they are able to compete with the big boys without having as many "tools"

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and I meant to comment on that statement too. I remember last season, people were hyping them up because they had "among the best brass audition numbers in the activity." Everyone was really excited because of how many people tried out. Apparently now, after the fact, the ol' turn-around has been made, and now the LACK of talent is a "fact" that can be used to brag by the members about how far they came within the contexts of a season. Crazy how that works.

:)

Oh and for clarification's sake, don't interpret this as a "slam on Crown," because people love to take what I say and turn it into that. This is commentary on the members of Crown that use DCP. Everything I've said is completely irrelevant to anything that was on the field during the 2006 (or any other) season.

Great numbers, sure..all julliard students..nope.

It's not so much about the talent, but what the staff is able to do with what they have. Also, you could have the most talented line in the world and lose horns, because the line doesn't play together.

Your correct, when you say that the Star technique is used pretty much everywhere - often under different names. However, there are other growing techniques out there, such as the Breathing Gym, that are making some pretty big waves when combined with older methods.

I've been under caption heads that used the Star method (very stict), the Blue Devils method (really relaxed, we were doing yoga for a while), and Regiment (an interesting hybrid of the two), and I think it is better than fair to say that they all work. It really does come down to the faith the members have in their staff, and that staff's ability to make the members push themselves to new levels of excellence.

it's not easy to get into.

~>conner

Oh and for clarification's sake, don't interpret this as a "slam on Crown," because people love to take what I say and turn it into that. This is commentary on the members of Crown that use DCP. Everything I've said is completely irrelevant to anything that was on the field during the 2006 (or any other) season.

dude whatever anytime anything is brought up on crown you say something smart### or try to make a slam aginst thier program or "brass technique" you do , I've only heard nothing but high praises of the education that the members get and it shows on the field ,JARED get over it dude ,since 03 every year the hornline has gotten stronger and more talented this year they had the visual demand and hornbook demand everybody said WASN"T there, whatever "technique" Mr.Harloff and the brass staff uses it's working cause they sound frecking amazing, get over it JARED go practice.

I know the name (JARED) is sometimes spelled differently on rare ocassions my mastake

Edited by DCIbrassplaya

dude whatever anytime anything is brought up on crown you say something smart### or try to make a slam aginst thier program or "brass technique" you do , I've only heard nothing but high praises of the education that the members get and it shows on the field , Jerod get over it dude ,since 03 every year the hornline has gotten stronger and more talented this year they had the visual demand and hornbook demand everybody said WASN"T there, whatever "technique" Mr.Harloff and the brass staff uses it's working cause they sound frecking amazing, get over it Jerod go practice.

First of all, logical fallacies will get you no where. Secondly, JARED, with an "A" as spelled out in his username, has not done any preaching on the matter of the qualitative value of their hornline... His point was that crown is not the only corps in existence to "buy into" their pedagogy, and they are not the only corps to use "breath dah" as a means for articulation... Which is completely true in my own opinion. I don't see what the logic would be in not breathing and then articulating with a "tu" or "thu," or whatever ridiculous syllable you can come up with to begin your notes with. I understand that the technique may go further in depth than that sole concept, but whatever the case, good technique is/should pretty much be a universal idea. Anywho-- happy trails and grammar check!

*edited because I accidentally quoted 6 people.

Edited by Mellojaphoney

dude whatever anytime anything is brought up on crown you say something smart### or try to make a slam aginst thier program or "brass technique" you do , I've only heard nothing but high praises of the education that the members get and it shows on the field ,JARED get over it dude ,since 03 every year the hornline has gotten stronger and more talented this year they had the visual demand and hornbook demand everybody said WASN"T there, whatever "technique" Mr.Harloff and the brass staff uses it's working cause they sound frecking amazing, get over it JARED go practice.

I know the name (JARED) is sometimes spelled differently on rare ocassions my mastake

Step off your soap box, son

I think this calls for someones quote (can't remember who at the moment): "Welcome to DCP. Opinions not welcome"

Edited by Carl306

50% dedication and willingness to bust your glutes

30% playing ability

20% marching ability

That's pretty much how it works. Nobody is cut at the first camp. Actually, I don't think they cut anyone until the last camp after most people had already weeded themselves out.

Edited by mellodramatic

His point was that crown is not the only corps in existence to "buy into" their pedagogy, and they are not the only corps to use "breath dah" as a means for articulation... Which is completely true in my own opinion

True