Practicing During the Off Season

Do you guys have any tips on practicing during the off season? I want to be able to go back to corps with good chops and not be lacking. How do you guys get motivated?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you guys have any tips on practicing during the off season? I want to be able to go back to corps with good chops and not be lacking. How do you guys get motivated?

I'm a music major, so I pretty much have to practice 2-3 hours a day anyway. As far as getting ready for rehearsal camps and whatnot specifically, I don't really change anything (you really shouldn't be). Infact, all I really change is practice standing up and getting used to that again. But yeah, I just do my everyday routine (and lesson preparations) that I always do. Sound, technique, flexibility, etc. All that good stuff...

Find recordings of great professional trumpet players. Try to emulate what they do correctly (Bud Herseth and Chris Martin are good starts . . .)

Then just do fundamental brass stuff. Long tones, lip slurs, remingtons up and down, scales, articulation exercises, flow studies, etc, and then figure out how to apply all those skills to literature.

Get a private instructor if you don't have one. If you can't afford one, ask a band director to help you.

Good luck . . .

Find recordings of great professional trumpet players. Try to emulate what they do correctly (Bud Herseth and Chris Martin are good starts . . .)

Then just do fundamental brass stuff. Long tones, lip slurs, remingtons up and down, scales, articulation exercises, flow studies, etc, and then figure out how to apply all those skills to literature.

Get a private instructor if you don't have one. If you can't afford one, ask a band director to help you.

Good luck . . .

As for being motivated, I would watch my favorite shows by my favorite corps and then realize that if I ever wanted to do anything like that, I would probably have to work really hard.

Motivational pictures work well, too. I had a good one.

Edited by jake_the_hydra

Sit in front of the tv, take out your mouthpiece and if you want your horn with it, and do long tones.

Sit in front of the tv, take out your mouthpiece and if you want your horn with it, and do long tones.

Or turn the TV off, sit in front of a tuner (well in her case, have someone with her) and do long tones while focusing on quality of sound and intonation. Cause you know, that's the point of long tones anyway. Arbitarly playing long tones while watching Laguna Beach won't make you better.

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

Or turn the TV off, sit in front of a tuner (well in her case, have someone with her) and do long tones while focusing on quality of sound and intonation. Cause you know, that's the point of long tones anyway. Arbitarly playing long tones while watching Laguna Beach won't make you better.

Your fine except for the bold... no... don't turn off the tv