Practicing During the Off Season

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Find material that's one degree of difficulty past your current comfort range, and work on it until it becomes your comfort range.

Rinse and repeat for the rest of your life. :)

Good ideas you guys!

Maybe I just love corps a whole lot, but I have a trumpet lesson tomorrow. I am listening to recordings of rehearsals with my corps and getting hyped up! I am thinking of my lessons as drum corps shows, I must perform my best! It's cool too because when my teacher says play this for me I snap my horn up and play to a stadium! I always think of too, "Is your corps ready? Spirit of New Jersey, you may take the field for competition!" during my lessons. Oh I just love corps!

I must perform my best! It's cool too because when my teacher says play this for me I snap my horn up and play to a stadium! I always think of too, "Is your corps ready? Spirit of New Jersey, you may take the field for competition!" during my lessons. Oh I just love corps!

Well, uh . . okay!

Find recordings of great professional trumpet players. Try to emulate what they do correctly (Bud Herseth and Chris Martin are good starts . . .)

yeah, sometimes I dream I'm Bud Herseth..........but anyways.....

That's a really good idea. Everyday on my way to practicing, I have my MP3 player with me and I'm listening to CSO, Canadian Brass (Fred Mills solo recordings), Sergei Nakarikov, etc. Not only does it set an example for what I want to sound like, but it gets me in the mood to play for a few hours. And then I WANT to practice and get ready for drum corps.

Edited by rdbc05

I don't think Apocalypse was kidding. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Don't use that as your practice time. Use it as a supplement, buzzing on a mouthpiece during commercial breaks isn't going to hurt you.

I would say definitely stay in shape!

I don't know if that's a *requirement*...I mean, Maynard Ferguson wasn't the skinniest guy around and look at what HE could do...

:P

Kidding aside, I actually have been told that being a little hefty can be a benefit when it comes to brass playing...the increased girth can expand your lung capacity.

Not that I'm trying to advocate getting fat to be a better musician or anything...