San Antonio Crossmen

the "fact" that they will do better???? What facts would those be? I don't think anyone can tell what the future will be...... For those Crossmen members and Alumni in the NJ/PA/DE area I think this would really feel like your Corps just folded. :-(

In all seriousness...

No, nobody can predict the future. And even if they could, the Crossmen seem to have this way of surviving some incredible odds against them and putting those who like to make predictions out of business. There are too many times over the years when this corps probably should have called it quits...but didn't. There are some pretty famous stories in our past about this type of perserverence:

- A two year old corps with no discernable history as an entity (side note: who would have thought a merger of rival corps would have worked to begin with??) who gets DQ'd at championships doesn't usually survive. They have no business coming back from something that devastating. This corps came back the next season and made Finals for the first time ever.

- After some great years in the early 80's, including a run at the top 6 in '82 (they dropped to 7th on the season's last day), the corps soon fell out of finals and almost off the face of the earth thereafter. A 17th place finish in '85 and a 21st place finish in '86 would doom just about any other corps. Camps with nine horn players. How do you go on with stuff like that?? This corps just kept coming back...16th in '87, 14th in '88, 12th in '89, all the way up to 7th in 1990. Amazing.

- Some more hard times in the mid 90's. Director changes. Staff changes. "Identity" crisis?? (Some would say.) Financially, they were a mess. $700 in the bank. More paltry brass numbers at camps. How do you go on??? This corps found a way to survive...with the help of YEA and some very determined Crossmen people. Towards the late 90's, they had some of their best seasons ever.

It's a lot of ups and downs, for sure. If not THE most unique history of any corps around, certainly ONE OF the most unique histories. I remember reading once where someone said that in ten thousand years, only two things will be left on earth...cockroaches and the Crossmen. And our alumni are indeed saddened by this. Shocked, hurt, disappointed, you name it...the gamut of emotions is wide, and the passion runs deep. Which is why, after much soul searching and reflection, I'm not as sad as I first was about this move. With that kind of passion, the Crossmen will somehow, some way, find a way to get through this, and maybe even prosper from it. Don't ask me how...I really don't know. Call it a gut feeling at this point.

So does it feel like my corps has folded?? While I understand what you're saying, the answer would be no. It certainly will be strange for a while, but knowing the people I know, and their determination to keep the things this corps values and stands for intact, I think I can come to get used to it.

(on soapbox...)

It is my own personal belief that...

The Crossmen are still the Crossmen no matter if the color of their uniforms is grey or black.

...no matter if their pants are black or white, with a stripe on them or not.

...no matter if they wear aussies or shakos.

...no matter if they have a cross on their jackets, or cross-sashes, or triangles, or nothing (1975).

...no matter if they wear capes or not.

...no matter if they play jazz, or pop, or classical, or movie music, or latin, or new age, or big band, or rock and roll, or whatever.

...no matter if they marched as an independent corps or if they were fielded with the help of YEA.

...no matter if they finished in the top six or did not even make finals (or were disqualified, for that matter).

...no matter if their staff or director had prior ties to the Crossmen or not.

...no matter if their kids all hailed from the greater Philadelphia/Delaware Valley area or if they were more international in flavor with kids from all over the country and the world in their ranks.

...no matter if they called their "home" Philadelphia, Delaware County, West Chester, Pennsauken (NJ), Bensalem, Newark (DE), Wilmington (DE), Bergenfield (NJ) or Allentown.

To me, therefore...and I would like to think to most reasonable people...the Crossmen will still be the Crossmen if they call their "home" San Antonio, Texas.

Or Wichita, Kansas.

Or Eugene, Oregon.

Or Kyoto, Japan.

Or the MOON!

It comes down to the members. When I taught the corps in the late 90's and earlier this decade, we had a LOT of kids who did not hail from the northeast in our ranks. A good portion of some of those late 90's hornlines were made up from kids like that. When it came right down to it, I could care less. I was THANKFUL that they chose to come to the Crossmen above all others. And from so far away?? I welcomed them! And I welcome ANYONE who wants to march in this corps. They are every bit the Crossmen as I am or as anyone who has marched here. Being a Crossmen means caring about being a Crossmen. No matter where you were born.

So as long as the members of the corps embrace the traditions, history, values, legacy and heritage of all that came before them...as all Crossmen corps have done in the past...this corps will be the Crossmen. If history has taught us anything, it is that more than most corps, the Crossmen have survived so many ups and downs, near disasters and their fair share of CHANGE than any other. YES, things will be different. In some respects, there will always be something very special missing from the corps. Yet I am confident that if the new management team truly respects what the Crossmen have meant to the drum corps community and to everyone who has been associated with this corps in the past...and I have every reason to believe that they do...and the new members embrace what it is, and the alumni and the CAA step up to help ensure that the legacy and heritage of the corps remain intact, then something very special might just be GAINED by this situation. It won't detract to how special the Crossmen are, it could very well ADD to how special they are. (And the Crossmen have always been special, no matter how much money they make selling t-shirts!)

After all, if we mean what we say as alumni, if UNITY is something we truly value, and our history and traditions are that important to us, wouldn't it stand to reason that we will do everything in our power to make sure those things carry on NO MATTER WHERE THE CORPS IS LOCATED?? The alumni presence and impact on the corps actually GREW after the corps became part of YEA. When I marched in the early 90's, apart from some staff, there really was no alumni presence around the corps. Not in any offical way. In the last several years, we've seen the re-organization of the CAA, more direct alumni contributions in the manner of purchasing immediate (and sometimes emergency) tour needs for the corps, more direct alumni involvement at camps, during spring training, on the road, etc. Is it everything it could be? No, we can always do better. Does this move make it more of a challenge? Absolutely. Does the fact that it will be a challenge mean we should give up?? #### no.

It's time to see what people really stand for and value. If you accepted the Crossmen though all of the changes I've listed above...and the corps has lived through every one of those differences and survived...then there's no reason you can't come to accept this. Does it mean you have to like that they're halfway across the country now? No. But I always thought that the ties of unity and brotherhood this corps claims to have were stronger than any distance between us. I guess we'll find out how strong it is. This move is what we make of it. The Crossmen are moving on. They want and need our assistance in doing so. To paraphrase something we like to say at the CAA, the corps is not looking for a few people to do everything. They are looking for as many people as possible to do SOMETHING. If you love the corps and wish to see it continue on for many years, get involved. Offer your support and assistance in any small way you can. If you live in Texas, find out how you can get directly involved with the new corps in your backyard. If you want to help a 2006 Crossmen vet who lives in Pennsylvania march in the corps next year, find out how you can assist in making it happen. Donate a plane ticket. Write a check. Sponsor a member. Contact the CAA and let us know who you are and we'll do everything we can to help facilitate the process.

The Spirit of the Crossmen is a very powerful thing, but it's only as powerful as its members (past and present) make it. This is a tremendous opportunity to show the world just what the Crossmen are made of.

PS - If you're an alumni who has looked down on the corps in the past for playing classical music, or wearing shakos, or being fielded with the help of YEA, or not playing Russian every year, or not wearing capes and playing jazz all the time...if you really think that those corps are LESS Crossmen than what you think they should have been, then I very respectfully suggest that you have missed the point of what being in this corps is all about.

(off soapbox...)

I don't mean to offend ANYONE with my words here. I'm just a very proud alumni of a very proud corps who is willing to step up to the plate and do what I can to make a difficult sitaution bearable. The Crossmen can survive this...as the Crossmen we all know and love. If there's anything I can do to help them achieve that, count me IN.

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all seriousness...

No, nobody can predict the future. And even if they could, the Crossmen seem to have this way of surviving some incredible odds against them and putting those who like to make predictions out of business. There are too many times over the years when this corps probably should have called it quits...but didn't. There are some pretty famous stories in our past about this type of perserverence:

- A two year old corps with no discernable history as an entity (side note: who would have thought a merger of rival corps would have worked to begin with??) who gets DQ'd at championships doesn't usually survive. They have no business coming back from something that devastating. This corps came back the next season and made Finals for the first time ever.

- After some great years in the early 80's, including a run at the top 6 in '82 (they dropped to 7th on the season's last day), the corps soon fell out of finals and almost off the face of the earth thereafter. A 17th place finish in '85 and a 21st place finish in '86 would doom just about any other corps. Camps with nine horn players. How do you go on with stuff like that?? This corps just kept coming back...16th in '87, 14th in '88, 12th in '89, all the way up to 7th in 1990. Amazing.

- Some more hard times in the mid 90's. Director changes. Staff changes. "Identity" crisis?? (Some would say.) Financially, they were a mess. $700 in the bank. More paltry brass numbers at camps. How do you go on??? This corps found a way to survive...with the help of YEA and some very determined Crossmen people. Towards the late 90's, they had some of their best seasons ever.

It's a lot of ups and downs, for sure. If not THE most unique history of any corps around, certainly ONE OF the most unique histories. I remember reading once where someone said that in ten thousand years, only two things will be left on earth...cockroaches and the Crossmen. And our alumni are indeed saddened by this. Shocked, hurt, disappointed, you name it...the gamut of emotions is wide, and the passion runs deep. Which is why, after much soul searching and reflection, I'm not as sad as I first was about this move. With that kind of passion, the Crossmen will somehow, some way, find a way to get through this, and maybe even prosper from it. Don't ask me how...I really don't know. Call it a gut feeling at this point.

So does it feel like my corps has folded?? While I understand what you're saying, the answer would be no. It certainly will be strange for a while, but knowing the people I know, and their determination to keep the things this corps values and stands for intact, I think I can come to get used to it.

(on soapbox...)

The Crossmen are still the Crossmen no matter if the color of their uniforms is grey or black.

...no matter if they have a cross on their jackets, or cross-sashes, or triangles, or nothing (1975).

...no matter if they play jazz, or pop, or classical, or movie music, or latin, or new age, or big band, or rock and roll, or whatever.

...no matter if they marched as an independent corps or if they were fielded with the help of YEA.

...no matter if they finished in the top six or did not even make finals (or were disqualified, for that matter).

...no matter if their kids all hailed from the greater Philadelphia/Delaware Valley area or if they were more international in flavor with kids from all over the country and the world in their ranks.

...no matter if they called their "home" Philadelphia, Delaware County, West Chester, Pennsauken (NJ), Bensalem, Newark (DE), Wilmington (DE), Bergenfield (NJ) or Allentown.

To me, therefore...and I would like to think to most reasonable people...the Crossmen will still be the Crossmen if they call their "home" San Antonio, Texas.

Or Wichita, Kansas.

Or Eugene, Oregon.

Or Kyoto, Japan.

Or the MOON!

It comes down to the members. When I taught the corps in the late 90's and earlier this decade, we had a LOT of kids who did not hail from the northeast in our ranks. A good portion of some of those late 90's hornlines were made up from kids like that. When it came right down to it, I could care less. I was THANKFUL that they chose to come to the Crossmen above all others. And from so far away?? I welcomed them! And I welcome ANYONE who wants to march in this corps. They are every bit the Crossmen as I am or as anyone who has marched here. Being a Crossmen means caring about being a Crossmen. No matter where you were born.

So as long as the members of the corps embrace the traditions, history, values, legacy and heritage of all that came before them...as all Crossmen corps have done in the past...this corps will be the Crossmen. If history has taught us anything, it is that more than most corps, the Crossmen have survived so many ups and downs, near disasters and their fair share of CHANGE than any other. YES, things will be different. In some respects, there will always be something very special missing from the corps. Yet I am confident that if the new management team truly respects what the Crossmen have meant to the drum corps community and to everyone who has been associated with this corps in the past...and I have every reason to believe that they do...and the new members embrace what it is, and the alumni and the CAA step up to help ensure that the legacy and heritage of the corps remain intact, then something very special might just be GAINED by this situation. It won't detract to how special the Crossmen are, it could very well ADD to how special they are. (And the Crossmen have always been special, no matter how much money they make selling t-shirts!)

After all, if we mean what we say as alumni, if UNITY is something we truly value, and our history and traditions are that important to us, wouldn't it stand to reason that we will do everything in our power to make sure those things carry on NO MATTER WHERE THE CORPS IS LOCATED?? The alumni presence and impact on the corps actually GREW after the corps became part of YEA. When I marched in the early 90's, apart from some staff, there really was no alumni presence around the corps. Not in any offical way. In the last several years, we've seen the re-organization of the CAA, more direct alumni contributions in the manner of purchasing immediate (and sometimes emergency) tour needs for the corps, more direct alumni involvement at camps, during spring training, on the road, etc. Is it everything it could be? No, we can always do better. Does this move make it more of a challenge? Absolutely. Does the fact that it will be a challenge mean we should give up?? #### no.

It's time to see what people really stand for and value. If you accepted the Crossmen though all of the changes I've listed above...and the corps has lived through every one of those differences and survived...then there's no reason you can't come to accept this. Does it mean you have to like that they're halfway across the country now? No. But I always thought that the ties of unity and brotherhood this corps claims to have were stronger than any distance between us. I guess we'll find out how strong it is. This move is what we make of it. The Crossmen are moving on. They want and need our assistance in doing so. To paraphrase something we like to say at the CAA, the corps is not looking for a few people to do everything. They are looking for as many people as possible to do SOMETHING. If you love the corps and wish to see it continue on for many years, get involved. Offer your support and assistance in any small way you can. If you live in Texas, find out how you can get directly involved with the new corps in your backyard. If you want to help a 2006 Crossmen vet who lives in Pennsylvania march in the corps next year, find out how you can assist in making it happen. Donate a plane ticket. Write a check. Sponsor a member. Contact the CAA and let us know who you are and we'll do everything we can to help facilitate the process.

The Spirit of the Crossmen is a very powerful thing, but it's only as powerful as its members (past and present) make it. This is a tremendous opportunity to show the world just what the Crossmen are made of.

PS - If you're an alumni who has looked down on the corps in the past for playing classical music, or wearing shakos, or being fielded with the help of YEA, or not playing Russian every year, or not wearing capes and playing jazz all the time...if you really think that those corps are LESS Crossmen than what you think they should have been, then I very respectfully suggest that you have missed the point of what being in this corps is all about.

(off soapbox...)

I don't mean to offend ANYONE with my words here. I'm just a very proud alumni of a very proud corps who is willing to step up to the plate and do what I can to make a difficult sitaution bearable. The Crossmen can survive this...as the Crossmen we all know and love. If there's anything I can do to help them achieve that, count me IN.

clap..... clap...... clap....... clap :blush:

In all seriousness...

(on soapbox...)

Or Wichita, Kansas.

Or Eugene, Oregon.

Or Kyoto, Japan.

Or the MOON!

(off soapbox...)

Well said Gary!!

Doug Stemet

Crossmen - 75-77

In all seriousness...

(on soapbox...)

Or Wichita, Kansas.

Or Eugene, Oregon.

Or Kyoto, Japan.

Or the MOON!

(off soapbox...)

w/Stp:

(sans the stupid)

Well said man... Send me a PM if there's anything I can do to help.

Beethoven's 9th was only 74 minutes. I think the Crossmen have him beat! :P

See new forum topic for more discussion on 2007 Crossmen Staff

From the YEA Website

Crossmen Announce First Staff Additions for 2007

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Rick Villarreal, Brass Caption Supervisor

The Crossmen would like to announce Rick Villarreal as the 2007 Brass Caption Supervisor. While Rick will be new to the corps, he comes with a host of experience in the world of marching music.

Rick Villarreal is in his twentieth year as a music educator in the state of Texas. A graduate of Texas Tech University, Mr. VillarrealÍs ensembles have received acclaim in both the middle school and high school grade levels. His teaching experience includes tenures in the Midland, Lewisville, Lubbock and Birdville School Districts.

As Assistant Director of Bands at The Colony High School, the band was a finalist at the Texas State Marching Contest, the winner of the TMEA 5A Honor Band contest, and a participant in the Tournament of Roses Parade.

As the Director of Bands at McKamy Middle School, the Honor Winds was chosen as the TMEA Honor Band for 2001 as well as the featured middle school performance at the Midwest Band and Orchestra Clinic.

As the Director of Bands at Flower Mound Marcus High School, his ensembles received recognition in both the concert and marching arenas. Under Mr. Villarreall's leadership, the Marcus Wind Ensemble was a finalist in the TMEA Area Honor Band process. The marching band advanced to the State Marching Contest for the first time in the school's history and was a perennial finalist at the Bands of America marching competitions. While at The Colony and Marcus HS, Mr. Villarreall's marching bands were consistent music caption winners at BOA and area marching competitions.

In 2001, Mr. Villarreal received the National Band Association Citation of Excellence for outstanding achievement in music education.

Mr. Villarreal currently serves as the director of bands at Smithfield Middle School in the Birdville Independent School District. He continues the pursuit of quality instruction as a student of Tom Bennett of the University of Houston.

Mr. Villarreal is an active clinician and adjudicator throughout the Southwest. His professional affiliations include Phi Beta Mu, Kappa Kappa Psi, Texas Music Educators Association, Texas Bandmasters Association, National Band Association, and Percussive Arts Society. When he is not teaching or conducting, Mr. Villarreal follows his favorite sport, basketball. You can often find him at a Dallas Mavericks game rooting his favorite team on to victory.

AL CHEZ, of Letterman fame, will be continuing with the Crossmen as a member of the brass team. In part time consultant status, due to distance and job commitments, Al will be on hand for many camps and a few weeks over the summer. The Crossmen are ecstatic to have Al on board. One of the great folks of the activity, the passion and commitment he brings to the activity are something the Crossmen are thrilled to maintain.

Aaron Goldberg has been approached to staying on board as a key member of the brass staff. Aaron is excited and he and Mark Chambers, the director, are currently working out details. Aaron is an alumnus of the corps and has been a member of the staff of the Crossmen for the past 3 years. A touring member of BLAST last winter, Aaron is currently pursuing his Masters degree in music at Rutgers University.

More information will be forthcoming in the days and weeks ahead.

The Crossmen will begin auditions in San Antonio, Texas over Thanksgiving weekend.

Edited by BackBeat

Couldn't be said any better, Gary.