Is drum corps marching band?

Poll  

303 members have voted

1. 1. Is drum corps marching band?

• Yes
    • No

There are inumerable things on earth that share similarities but that are profoundly different because of a few (sometimes not so obvious) differences. Would it be correct to say a cat is a dog, but a dog is not a cat? They both have two eyes, four legs, two ears, a tail, claws, teeth designed for killing prey, the list goes on and on. Does this make one the same as the other?

The fact that they share similarities is not enough, because in my opinion the differences are much greater than the similarities. If you need to be told what those differences are, then you shouldn't be posting in this forum.

No, you wouldn't say that dogs are cats.

You would however say that all dogs are mammals, and all cats are mammals.

All drum corps are marching bands, and all high school marching bands are marching bands. That doesn't make high school marching band equal to drum corps.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And your reasons for why it is (if you have any) are no more "real". Have fun with your semantics exercise, though.

I have provided a lot more reasons why drum corps is marching band than you have provided for why they are not.

Have fun avoiding questions you apparently can't answer though.

No, it's like saying that people playing high school football are playing the same game as people in the NFL.

They have different variations on rules, and the field is not exactly the same. Would you argue that one isn't playing football?

Because it's the same with drum corps and high school or college marching band.

Variations on the rules of what is allowed and how things are scored (Although those differences also occur between marching band circuits as well), but it's still a band marching around on a field.

I wouldn't argue that it wasn't football; however, I would argue that it's not the "exact same activity"

I would also argue that using the criteria of "it's a band marching around on a field" isn't a sufficient basis for determining whether or not the two activities are exactly the "same" any more than "it's a bunch of people wearing uniforms and chasing a ball" would be sufficient criteria for determing whether or not baseball and football are the "exact same activity".

I wouldn't argue that it wasn't football; however, I would argue that it's not the "exact same activity"

I would also argue that using the criteria of "it's a band marching around on a field" isn't a sufficient basis for determining whether or not the two activities are exactly the "same" any more than "it's a bunch of people wearing uniforms and chasing a ball" would be sufficient criteria for determing whether or not baseball and football are the "exact same activity".

I wouldn't argue that they are exactly the same either. There are a lot of details that are slightly different. However at the very basic level of "a band marching around on a field performing music" they ARE exactly the same. By building on to that basic foundation you get the varieties of marching bands.

Just like with football the basic level is a bunch of guys trying to get their football into the other teams endzone in a set number of downs

I wouldn't argue that they are exactly the same either. There are a lot of details that are slightly different. However at the very basic level of "a band marching around on a field performing music" they ARE exactly the same. By building on to that basic foundation you get the varieties of marching bands.

Just like with football the basic level is a bunch of guys trying to get their football into the other teams endzone in a set number of downs

What I was initially responding to was someone saying it was the "exact same activity" (which is why my post has it in quotes). Outside of that context I might otherwise have been persuaded.

I think the question "is drum corps marching band" demands a more distilled set of parameters. Using your "basic foundation" hypothesis could make apples and oranges the same (it's all round fruit) or dogs and cats the same (furry and four legged) ... it could also make mariachis on lawn into drum corps. You're painting with too wide of a brush IMO.