Is drum corps marching band?

Poll  

303 members have voted

1. 1. Is drum corps marching band?

• Yes
    • No

You're wrong and mis-identifying the formula. The statement implies direct connection, exact sameness.

A IS B, but B isn't A

They both can't be true.

A contains all of B, B is part of A

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would bet 99% of marchers now marched in high school at least. If you've ever worked with a high school and seen how staying on the correct foot is almost impossible for some of the freshmen, imagine having 25 of those in a drum corps. I doubt many people at all learn how to march in drum corps.
I marched in HS band, but my director was not fond of drum corps. He felt that they were "not versatile." This was late '70s, early '80s.

A high school football team uses a football -- so does an NFL team -- does that make them the same?

Could they reasonably compete against each other? Could they play on each other's teams? Could they successfully swap play books?

Marching band is to drum corps what high school football is to the NFL.

lets look at it this way is drum corp marching band. no! but with out marching band members joining drum corp there would be no drum corp.

A high school football team uses a football -- so does an NFL team -- does that make them the same?

Could they reasonably compete against each other? Could they play on each other's teams? Could they successfully swap play books?

Right, but it is still football. Performing at a higher level doesn't change the nature of the activity. On average, drum corps perform at a higher level than marching bands. But they are still doing the exact same activity.

Sure, thats fine, but then again you're stating a different formula.

No he isn't. I said that all drum corps are marching bands but not all marching bands are drum corps. That is the same as saying A is a subset of B, but B is not a subset of A

They are both playing football. Would you say that one of them wasn't a football team based on them not being exactly the same as the other?

Drum corps is not high school marching band.

Drum corps is marching band

High school marching band is marching band

So I guess I'm agreeing with what you said but maybe not in the way you intended to say it.

LOL :P . I don't know. I always thought of pushups to be a reminder of previous mistakes and not a punishment. I've seen guys do them self-imposed and voluntarily after they screwed up. (Madison comes to mind) although I'm sure there are others. It's just a way of conveying to your corpsmates and instuctors that you realize you made a mistake, that you acknowledge it, and are willing to take full responsibility. Some Corps' have that internal culture and others don't. Not sure about bands though.

The first place I marched was all about "celebrating getting better" as we called it. At my second corps a few people tried to do pushups on their own after a rep and got yelled at because they were wasting the rest of the ensembles time by not giving the instructors their full attention.

I tend to agree more with the second ideology. If you need to do pushups to remember that you screwed up on the last rep how do you ever manage to learn an entire drum corps show :P