1972 DCI Championships!

The photo below is the "Tote" board used at the very first DCI containing the prelims placings.

72%20DCI%20prelim%20tote%20board.jpg

Strange, this is the exact same way they did it in 1980. I wonder how long they continued to do it like this? I believe I have the pictures of both 79 & 80s board.

But that first one is so special! I wish all of the corps were on there! Still, it's fantastic!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember the board looking very much like that when I marched too, Nancy!

I love how De La Salle is listed as being from Canada, rather than the province of Ontario (since the other corps are identified by state). Canada's a big country, folks!

I remember the board looking very much like that when I marched too, Nancy!

I love how De La Salle is listed as being from Canada, rather than the province of Ontario (since the other corps are identified by state). Canada's a big country, folks!

Next you'll be trying to convince us that Toronto isn't the capital :P

To be fair, when I lived in Ontario, more than one person told me that Minneapolis was a state.

The photo below is the "Tote" board used at the very first DCI containing the prelims placings.

I am not sure how xKingsmen.com got hold of it but the picture has been in the archives for a few years now.

72%20DCI%20prelim%20tote%20board.jpg

Keith, that's awesome. It really reminded me the scoreboards at my swim meets when I was a kid. It gave me a sudden rush of nervousness in the pit of my stomach...lol.

Until I saw that tote board I didn't know that the Cadets missed the first DCI Finals by only one tenth. Ouch.

Also, the Kingsmen overcame a Prelims deficit of more than three points to win Finals. Wow!!!

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

Until I saw that tote board I didn't know that the Cadets missed the first DCI Finals by only one tenth. Ouch.

Also, the Kingsmen overcame a Prelims deficit of more than three points to win Finals. Wow!!!

Fran

After DCI prelims in 72, it was Santa Clara's to lose.............and they did, by doing a terrible, TERRIBLE, show (for them) at finals. I believe they had a bunch of dropped equipment and other sorts of bad stuff.

That's why I like the tic system, you just never know...........

I cannot begin to describe what great days those were for me as a fan. Whitewater is a tiny college town. I'm not sure there is an equivalent in the modern days of DCI for so many corps being packed into such a small place. Osage stayed at the elementary school right across from where I lived that summer. One morning my brother and I stopped in the yard between a number of dorms to catch some standstill run throughs by the 27th Lancers. In one area of the campus St. Andrew's and Hawthorne were practicing. The Blue Stars were in another area. aA the other end of the campus was Del. Heck, I'm sure there were corps at the East end of town at the middle school as well as at the high school on the Southwest end of town. At night I'd pack a cooler and walk around campus window shopping for drum corps, then drop in at the local pizza joint and have a beer with staff and corps members from Argonne, Hawthorne and St. Andrew's. Gosh, those were great times!

I've always wondered if things would have been different had Garfield performed earlier in the day. The afternoon when all the DCI performers went on in a block was unbearably hot. If I remember correctly, SCV in particular lost a lot of kids to heat that day. This may be just so much creative license, but whenever I listen to the recording of Garfield's show, I can sense the kids in those classic wool uniforms wilting in the heat.

Care to comment on that, Mike Davis?

I'm surprised no one has commented about 1972 DCI Finals as the occaision of arguably the biggest gaffe in DCI history, which occured during the Kilties' performance. At the end of the "concert" section in Pictures at an Exhibition, the corps went to parade rest. The drum major called resume march without first bringing the corps to attention. You know what happened - a train wreck. The Kilties went from 6th in prelims breathing down Argonne's necks to 8th place.

Until that poor soprano from Blue Devils had his Night from ####, this had to be the biggest gaffe in a DCI finals performance.

I'm surprised no one has commented about 1972 DCI Finals as the occaision of arguably the biggest gaffe in DCI history, which occured during the Kilties' performance. At the end of the "concert" section in Pictures at an Exhibition, the corps went to parade rest. The drum major called resume march without first bringing the corps to attention. You know what happened - a train wreck. The Kilties went from 6th in prelims breathing down Argonne's necks to 8th place.

Until that poor soprano from Blue Devils had his Night from ####, this had to be the biggest gaffe in a DCI finals performance.

Oh yeah, Jim, that's a baaad memory (re: which I've posted on a couple of other threads). We were supposed to start playing on the first step out of concert (no "4 for nothing") and the DM forgot to bring the horns up. "Train wreck" is exactly right---we recovered after some number of counts but the performance was all downhill. We got some redemption a week later with our best show of the year at VFW in Minneapolis--and managed to lose to the Cavaliers.

The DM had done a good job all year--and he had the added pressure of replacing Scotty Poulsen after Scotty's age-out year. We never saw him again after '72...