1972 DCI Championships!

I've always wondered if things would have been different had Garfield performed earlier in the day. The afternoon when all the DCI performers went on in a block was unbearably hot. If I remember correctly, SCV in particular lost a lot of kids to heat that day. This may be just so much creative license, but whenever I listen to the recording of Garfield's show, I can sense the kids in those classic wool uniforms wilting in the heat.

Care to comment on that, Mike Davis?

Actually, we had a decent show...but 1.8 in penalties threw us out of finals. I can not remember what they were for though. I think we would have been 10th without the penalties.

Our corps was VERY young in 72...even younger than 71, when a bunch left after the corps cleaned house instructor-wise, letting go of George Tuthill and losing Frank Dorittie.

Not that having Fred Sanford and Don Angelica as replacements was all that bad! The staff changeover just wasn't handled very well after the 71 season.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The photo below is the "Tote" board used at the very first DCI containing the prelims placings.

I am not sure how xKingsmen.com got hold of it but the picture has been in the archives for a few years now.

72%20DCI%20prelim%20tote%20board.jpg

"1972 "Tote Board":

Thanks a bunch for this great memory. The "Tote Board" harkens way back to the "Bad Old Days" of the despised Veterans drum corps prelims, which is how and where the qualifier tallies were listed. Funny that DCI would "Borrow" a method used by the organizations it was trying to displace.

People would "Hang Out" at that area to watch to "Tote Slips" be posted.

Thanks again!!!!

Elphaba