Adding Another Finals Event

During the 80s, the parade was optional. I know during my last year (1988), the only finalsits that participated were Madison, Sky Ryders and VK. At some point during the 90's the parade became mandatory, then it went away completely.

I know we marched it in 1986, not sure about 87 or 88.

I like the idea.

Instead of alot of people saying why it can't be done, why don't we as a collective community say, "how CAN we get this done?"

Maybe a drum corps concert CONTEST, with major prize money for the top 3 finishers, and a small appearance amount for all, would be interesting. In Orlando, they had several standstill concert performances in pavilions and other locations at Disney over the years; they were well attended and fun. The logistics are time, venue, and a sponsor to put up the prize money.....for me, it's always been about the music, so I like hearing a great corps play in concert....GB

Idea:

+ Wouldn't take up too much of each corps' time as they could just show up, warm up, play, then leave. Wouldn't even have to be in full uniform.

I think you may be underestimating the amount of time it would take to get the entire corps there, unpacked, warmed up, perform, pack and go back to the school (which could be as much as an 1 or more each way). And, not to mention that there are already several time consuming things that have to happen on finals day that take time, like cleaning the school, etc. On a *crucial* day like finals, the corps do not need this sort of science fair distraction, to be honest. AND, they don't need what little rehearsal time they get on finals day decreased. Not that anyone is still trying to clean drill and such on finals day (okay...maybe a little) but putting the kids into the correct mindset...giving them a very organized, calm day is VERY important to developing the correct focus for finals night. I would seriously doubt ANY top 12 organization would even consider doing this on the day of finals. Now...I & E day...maybe...but not finals...

M