Are DEG Bb contras bigger than Yamahas?

dcibrando

I marched one of those tiny 3 valved yamahas with a g crook. Talk about CRAP!!!!!!! The crook had to be duck taped on, but the nice part was the horn only weighed like 8 pounds with the crook. I also played on the DEG Bb last year when I did a gig with Micro Magic. By this time I was so used to my nice Miraphone CC Tuba that going to the DEG was wierd. It played like a beginner model horn. It had no smoothness and a few notes had problems projecting, but the horn had a NICE sound. My favorite marching horn I played on was a King 2 valve G like the ones the Glassmen used to have. They were light, had good projection and a pretty good sound, IMO the most balanced marching horn I have ever played.

P.S. Sousaphones suck!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say, the folks at Yamaha have really done a nice job listening to the brass staffs at the Crossmen, Cadets, and Cavaliers.

We've been talking since 2001 about the various strengths and weaknesses of the tubas (both in Bb and with the G crooks).

I walked into camp at the end of January at the Crossmen, and the sound I heard immediately was HUGE compared to previous seasons. The tuba sounds are warm, resonant, and they project immediately. The rest of the line can actually listen to them and tune!

And of course the cluster is now ergonomically playable, so we won't have carpeltunnel tuba players midway through spring training!

:rolleyes::blink:

They sound like contras (that big sound) but with the improved intonation characteristics of good instruments!!!!

Suddenly, the section sounds like what I always heard in my head!!!!!

:rolleyes:

I have to say, the folks at Yamaha have really done a nice job listening to the brass staffs at the Crossmen, Cadets, and Cavaliers.

Kurt and his staff have done a wonderful job. I was glad I ran into him at TMEA and was personally able to talk with him about and thank him for the horn.

And of course the cluster is now ergonomically playable, so we won't have carpeltunnel tuba players midway through spring training!

*Takes wrist brace off so he can type*

Suddenly, the section sounds like what I always heard in my head!!!!!

Now if you could only find someone decent to teach those guys.

:rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yea, Spirit has been using the Kanstuls since 2001. I like them. I think the best marching horn I have played is the Kanstul euphonium. They are real open and have a great sound to them, but back to the topic at hand:

I dont know the specific bore and bell sizes, but the Kanstuls and the DEG's definitely seem bigger than the Yamahas. Both the Kanstuls contras we used at Spirit, and the DEG's we used at Blue Devils seemed bigger and sounded richer than the Yahama contra lines I have heard.