Are DEG Bb contras bigger than Yamahas?

dcibrando

My friend who is a tuba player at a corps who uses the huge Dynasty's, but has some extra yamaha convertible tubas had to play on one of the yamahas at camp. He said it was the worst thing he has ever played on, and that it made his neck horribly sore for the next week. He also mentioned that the contorting the arm around to play it was a pain, but mostly it was that he said it really hurt his neck, and said that he would rather go through the heaviness of the dynasty, as to NEVER play on that yamaha again.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The old Yamahas weren't the best horns to hold. You had to reach too far across to reach the valves; wasn't good for the old shoulder. Leadpipe placement took some getting used to, too.

But fortunately for us, these problems have been fixed by a new line of Yamahas. Hopefully we won't see those convertibles anymore.

They all seem big to me. Kudos to you contra players out there.

• 2 weeks later...
My friend who is a tuba player at a corps who uses the huge Dynasty's, but has some extra yamaha convertible tubas had to play on one of the yamahas at camp. He said it was the worst thing he has ever played on, and that it made his neck horribly sore for the next week. He also mentioned that the contorting the arm around to play it was a pain, but mostly it was that he said it really hurt his neck, and said that he would rather go through the heaviness of the dynasty, as to NEVER play on that yamaha again.

I marched with a Yamaha Bb converted to G for a season, it was horrible, there were soo many intonation problems, and not to mention the left arm allways looks weak underneath the horn where it's held. Then @ Colts last season we all had Bb yamahas for the first half of the season. Ours were allways falling apart. We had one that was ductaped together. After the Lacross show we got the first 5 of our new Kanstul Bb's. The next day at rehersal the sound put out by the line was greatly improved. Although the guys said that the show that night was the worst show they had ever marched. a few days before the RCA show we got the other 5. We sounded better, and looked soo much better. Not to mention it was pretty cool to see 2 5'1'' chics carrying those horns. I have lost of respect for anyone who marches those beasts. I found that the yamaha kinda fit on your shoulder better, into what I like to call my "contra groove". The Kanstul set farther out on my shoulder bone, and until I got used to it, it was pretty painful.

Thanks, Mike. The horns look very nice. What's the weight on them?

Not exactly sure. I believe it's about 20lbs. The weight is very similar to the former Yamahas. I believe the bigger bell gives it a bit more weight. However the instrument still feels very light and agile, especially when compared side-by-side to the King.