Question on "Feeder" corps

Ok well, here's my situation.

My puny tiny little school has no marching band. Drum Corps is my only chance to march, and I've always loved drum corps and marching bands.

I am looking for a corps that is not just hardcore competition, but has a learning side to it, ala Vanguard cadets. My favorite corps has always been Phantom Regiment, and I would love to march with them in the future, after a season or two of learning. I just dont think it would be all that great form to be in the Vanguard cadets, but then not "Graduate" into the Vanguard...

Like posted above me, most corps do tend to teach those with little experience, but you probably have a better shot at a smaller corps to get more of that hands-on, one-on-one teaching enviroment.

Where are you from? What do you play or want to learn to play? If you are from the Mid-West (which is just me assuming, since you were asking about a cadet corps for PR - which isn't much of a reason to assume, so I'm probably wrong) you have a few choices in Memphis Sound (Div. II), Capital Sound (Div. III) and the possible return of Americanos (Div. III). I can't speak directly for the other corps, but I know Memphis has taught beginners to pick up a horn and march in the past. They have also offered a "full" tour in the past (22-27 shows), as opposed to the typical weekend-style Div. II/III tours, so you still get that "Div. I" tour experience while getting the hands-on teaching of a smaller, Div. II/III corps.

Yeah, I live down in Dallas, but wanna go up north for DCI. Texas summer heat = no fun.

I play oboe obviously, but am planning on marching baritone. I have a rather decent grasp on it. Virtuoso by no means, but semi-proficient...I started it about 2-3 weeks ago for this exact reason. As of right now, I am working on the second book that a student would go through...

It isn't that far north compared to Dallas, but if you want to check out Memphis Sound here is the audition information:

http://www.memphisdrumcorps.org/pages/auditions.html

Either way, good luck at Baritone! I don't play a brass instrument, but it would seem like Oboe to Baritone would be quite a challenge. lol I hope you get the chance to march somewhere this summer, it's an awesome experience.

Yeah, I live down in Dallas, but wanna go up north for DCI. Texas summer heat = no fun.

I play oboe obviously, but am planning on marching baritone. I have a rather decent grasp on it. Virtuoso by no means, but semi-proficient...I started it about 2-3 weeks ago for this exact reason. As of right now, I am working on the second book that a student would go through...

Any corps you go to will have heat in the summer, just the humidity is killer in some places. Plus, you're only in Texas for a week or two, then you tour, hit Texas again most likely (although this year not every corps will be at the San Antonio show.) Just remember that you have two or three corps in Texas if flying somewhere becomes costly, Crossmen, Revolution, and possibly Trinity (haven't seen or heard anything on the upcoming season.)

Ok, another point...

After looking at Corps' sites emailed to me by helpful members of this board, I realized I need to first find out which corps are "Weekend" corps and which ones travel for a tour together. Does anyone know of a list or something like that? I can't afford to travel out for individual weekends, so I would need to do a travelling tour one.

I believe Spartans, ECJ, Academy, SCVC, BDB, Revolution, and maybe Oregon Crusaders are allday/touring corps. Most of the others go on a 'pretour' then take off a week then start their D II/III circuit.

Memphis has everydays in early June and then does a full tour (generally for 5-6 weeks) starting in late June/early July up until finals week. You move to Memphis for everydays and then don't go home until after finals, unless we have a 3-4 day break.

Even though some corps are "weekend" corps in the summer, doesn't mean that you would have to travel back and forth too often. Members of Capital Sound move to Madison in the summer and live with host families on our off days. It's nice because there is still some time for a part-time job, family, and friends outside of drum corps.

Check out Capital Sound! We'd love to have you and 2007 looks to be a very good year for the corps.

www.capsound.org

Good luck whever you go! :)

I know it has a seperate sub-section, but a lot of people also march all-age (senior) corps before marhcing DCI Corps. In my case, I marched senior corps instead of junior corps. It's all based on how much time, money, etc. that you have available. Either way, it's a great activity and a fun experience!