Kiwanis Kavaliers and DCI

No Doug anymore eh?

Kind of dissapointed that there is not an official annoucement that he is no longer affliated with the corps. He's been with them for 20+ years and the Executive Director for most of those. A feat that few Directors can claim.

Is he staying with the Cadets?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also find it odd that the corps membership forms and Fees structure and contract are up - yet no staff names etc.

Who would dish out 1300+ and committ to a corps where they don't know who the educators will be?

my guess is they're trying to make the website as complete as possible at the time being.

no one is paying or committing today. the staff announcements, from what i've read and my common sense tells me, will be coming shortly, but why put the entire website on hold waiting for that?

I also find it odd that the corps membership forms and Fees structure and contract are up - yet no staff names etc.

Who would dish out 1300+ and committ to a corps where they don't know who the educators will be?

There are some things that just havn't been able to have been released yet. All we ask is patience. It's hard to bring back a Corps to full stride after something so crippling as what happened last season.

Every annoucement made or not made is done that way for a reason. Everything will be coming shortly. In the meantime:

The Kiwanis Kavaliers Bulletin Board will be up shortly.

Brass Audition Music is up: http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...wanis+Kavaliers

Open staff positions will be posted up soon (See? All in good time.)

A press release will be up shortly, describing our new Corps Leadership.

After weeks, maybe months of biting my tongue (man , is it sore!) I felt compelled to add my 2 cents.

To start with, I heard a comment from a non drum corps person that should help put all of this in perspective. After watching the finals on ESPN2 this person said " I can't think of a better activity to get a kid involved with!"...and this from a total novice.

Anyway, I can't speak for Doug. After many years of personal and financial sacrifice, I imagine nobody is more hurt than he over the way things went in 2006.

As far as the new plans for the corps...why would any of you, especially former members, try to do anything to prevent PDX and the related groups from trying to save the corps and give South Florida kids a chance to participate. I for one, intend to support them in their endeavours. As any of you know, this is no small task, so instead of spending the time coming up with smarmy comments, how about a positive contribution to the cause....whatever you can do...even if it is just good wishes for the future.

OK...I feel better.

A supporter since 2002 :music:

Edited by dianel

There are some things that just havn't been able to have been released yet. All we ask is patience. It's hard to bring back a Corps to full stride after something so crippling as what happened last season.

Every annoucement made or not made is done that way for a reason. Everything will be coming shortly. In the meantime:

The Kiwanis Kavaliers Bulletin Board will be up shortly.

Brass Audition Music is up: http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...wanis+Kavaliers

Open staff positions will be posted up soon (See? All in good time.)

A press release will be up shortly, describing our new Corps Leadership.

I have also had to bite my tongue in regards to people totally bad mouthing KK let alone any Drum Corps out there. I know the alumni that I talk to on a daily basis have had a lot to say about what all happend to Kavaliers in 2006. For the reasons beyond anyone's control some pretty nasty comments have come out about what the real reason KK went inactive for the season. I have been in Drum Corps for many years marching and I did teach a few years. I have given back to the 3 corps I marched with in some way or another as have my parents given back to the corps especially Kiwanis Kavaliers. what irks me and I'm sure manyother members marching alumni or other is that people are too quick to jump to conclusion. I have had many emails from KK marching members and alumni that have asked me what I've done for the corps..... well lots.

Yes to run a Drum Corps for a year is no small feat nor is it cheap... I know that previous Corps Directors of KK have done their jobs to the best and over and above their abilities to help the corps out financially and YES sometimes it does come out of their own pockets. I know that some Corps Directors have taken 3rd or 4th mortgages out on their homes just to put the corps on the field for another year.

I would have to agree with Dianel about " giving a positive contribution to the cause"!!! Enough of the bashing and negative comments. People we've heard it all.... just give KK the time to rebuild and let them come out stronger and better.....

Edited by vladdie1967

After having an inside view of what has been happening the last couple of months with Kiwanis, I have to step up and say something as a loyal KK alumni, having marched 2002-2003 and teaching there in 2004. I absolutely love Doug Darwin and I know he put his entire life into Kiwanis. He can recall who played timpani in 1985 like it was yesterday. It was very unfortunate that kiwanis had to go inactive in 2006, but a lot of it could've been prevented. More alumni could've recruited for Kiwanis, instead of bashing them. After being involved with Tampa Bay Thunder in 2000 and 2001, and the Magic in 2005, I can promise that Kiwanis has by far treated alumni better than most would have. I've seen alumni that has posted on here in the past bashing Doug and Kiwanis on these forums just to go up and ask him for staff passes to see the show for free (He did give them the passes even though he knew those same people bashed him).

What is so unfortunate now is that these same people are wanting the organization to fold, even while setting up alumni sites. To the people who held the www.kavaliers.com site hostage from the new administration...Grow up. People like you are why so many drum corps have folded (Don't give me the whole "Money took out drumcorps" because many people who post that garbage never paid dues!).

I have been a loyal alumni for the Kiwanis Kavaliers from Kitchner-Ontario, Tampa, Fort Myers, and now Miami and will continue to support them throughout the rest of my life...For all of the Kiwanis haters...why don't you show a little more support for the organizations that are not doing as well instead of digging the grave for them.

Justin Robards

Justin....

The kavaliers.com domain was never held hostage...That couldn't be further from the truth...The fact is, the domain was not surrendered by the webmaster because members of the board of directors specifically told Paul NOT to surrender it...He did what he was told and hosted most of the kavaliers.com site on his own server for years...He was told very early on that he isn't supposed to post anything without approval from Doug or the board...Holding on to the site was not his decision...I think he would have happily handed it over and been relieved of the hassle of listening to people complain if told to do so by the board...But they didn't...That's not his fault...Surely, you can understand that he can't just hand over the site to anyone just because THEY say he should...That's something that needs to be approved....And it wasn't...

As for 'never paying dues'....I marched in the Kiwanis Kavaliers for seven years and did Christmas parades in blizzards, walkathons in the rain, and worked at more smoke filled bingos than I'd care to remember (cough)...

And for most of those years, Paul was there too...Doug will be the first to tell you that Paul has donated cash to the corps almost every year and when the corps was Kitchener based and Paul was nearby, he would always lend a hand....

I commend your loyalty to the corps Justin...The corps needs people like you down there in Florida if it's going to survive...

As for the alumni website, it was conceived over the summer before any of this new Miami corps business was made public...It was meant to commemorate the Kitchener based organization that finally closed it's doors this spring....Should the corps' comeback be successful, we will of course change the text to read "from Kitchener-Waterloo Ontario Canada and Miami Florida USA"....I designed the slices in such a way to make it an easy switch....in fact, in the original editable document, the text is already there....it's just invisible....for now...But the site was meant to commemorate what may end up being Canada's last Div. 1 drum corps (though it'd be sweet if Dutchboy could get there again)...

Edited by artmastertilt

that's funny...because i marched kiwanis for four years...went to kitchener EVERY YEAR, and i've never met Paul Johnston.

The website isn't the issue. The issue is that people willingly sling rumors and ill will left and right on here, while what you should be doing is trying to help the corps you worked so hard for in the years prior to its move to Miami.

Or...at least keep the poor attitude to yourself.

I'm pretty sure Paul was with the corps in 2002 and 2003 when they were in Kitchener...He was definately with the corps in Madison helping out in 2002...Perhaps you weren't introduced....The only thing the corps did in Kitchener in 2004 was a brief mid-afternoon standstill at a now-bankrupt discount amusement park during the middle of the week...A lot of us figured that it wasn't worth it for the corps to cross the border just to do a standstill and they were going to pull a no-show...Paul lives five and a half hours away in Ottawa so that's a long way to travel to not get a field show (or perhaps not any corps at all)...And you can't always leave work to midweek just to see a drum corps show...I believe that the 2005 home show in Kitchener was also midweek if memory serves......