Which show do you like better, Cadets 2003 or Cadets 2006?

Poll  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Which show do you like better, Cadets 2003 or Cadets 2006?

• Cadets 2003
    • Cadets 2006

Cadets 2003 was a show that did not place heavy importance on innovation and consisted of old Santa Clara Vanguard, Madison Scouts, and Garfield Cadets charts. However, the sole purpose of this show was to entertain, and the audience ate it up.

Cadest 2006 placed heavy emphasis on innovation, introducing character dialogue, a full-featured vocalist, and an increased measure of storytelling. However, it is clear that this show, compared to most other Cadets shows and most shows from 2006, did not garner a huge audience reaction.

Which do you personally think is the better show?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not a fan of 2003.

If I were judging merely on the music and marching I'd pick 2006. However, the cheesy characters and ineffectual storyline kind of took away from 2006. It wasn't even necessarily the vocals, just the whole premise of having the mad hatter, the white rabbit, the queen of hearts and alice.... It kind of annoyed me. The backdrops and the backside of their uniforms were bothersome as well.

Why do you always start polls where you already know what the majority is going to say?

Actually, I started this thread so that George Hopkins, who is a member of these forums, can read it and understand how fans of drum corps feel about the direction the Cadets' show design has been going recently and maybe use this information for show design in the future.

Edited by Hrothgar15

Loved the music and design of 2003. I'll have to disagree with whoever said 2006 was better music and marching wise. 2003 was an impressively talented and clean corps, visually musically, drums, guard, percussion... everything. Plus it was a much more demanding show than 2006.

Plus 2003, finals night, my God they lit that place up! IMHO, they should have beaten Cavies (even though I loved their show as well) only on finals night. If I recall, they were pretty close.

So obviously, I pick 2003.

It's their history I like best........

It's better to have tried and failed then to not have tried at all........

Plus it was a much more demanding show than 2006.

whaaaaaaaaaa???

03 wasn't a very demanding show. especially from a visual standpoint (the tempos in a lot of their songs were pretty slow).

Edited by TSRTS13

2003 was a very good show and very entertaining. the execution was there and it was probably one of the hardest shows i've ever witnessed by any corps. With that being said I did enjoy 2006 more, it was a different show with a lot of creativity. I enjoyed the fact that it followed a story line and the show itself had more depth than just loud music and drill. i think Cadets 2006 is a very underrated show...if you get past the characters and voice, and try to appreciate the thought and passion the designers put into the show, it is very entertaining and its not like every other show. The music book in the garden is simply amazing, the amount of notes being played and demanded out of every section! the ballad was gorgeous....between the guard work and the hornline and the voice....very emotional. I am a huge fan of what Phantom, Blue Devils and Cavaliers do...their own individual styles...i simply love their shows and executions....along with Bluecoats and SCV! but the thing that I do like about the Cadets approach is that its going to be different (good or bad is all opinion) and that, to me, is very exciting! for instance I'm pretty sure i know what to expect from Phantom and Cavaliers in 2007...i'm sure it will be great quality but its not going to be something that i will be anticipating because i know there not going out on a great limb. But i will def. be interested/looking forward to seeing the Cadets in 2007 because I'm positive they'll keep pushing the limits and put out another controversial show that will stir up DCP into 100's of threads talking about everything and anything. just my .02

I definitely like 2006 a lot more than 2003. The thing I can't get past for 2003 (aside from Malaguena) are the pieces and the arrangements of them. I don't know who thought Rocky Point Holiday and Fanfare and Allegro would ever be a good idea to do in a drum corps, I personally didn't like how they were handled. Maybe it's just my familiarity with the pieces, but I just didn't like them. Now 2006, IMO, was great, entertaining, and actually pushing to do something different. I'll take 2006 over 2003 anyday.