getting in shape

I still wish we could tackle in drum corps...

I still they they should bring back the tick system, but with a new twist on it.

Instead of scoring sheets.. the judges should have paintball guns.. if you mess up. you get hit... hence.. you get a tick.

corps with the least amount of paint on their uniforms at the end of the show wins.....

but on the other hand.. tackleing would be fun too.... ^0^

but for thsat to work you would need 2 corps on the field at the same time.. the corps with the most people standing in their final set wins.. lol

Edited by HollyDeux

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually Sarah, there's quite a few Rugby teams in Queens. One of my friends married this guy from South AFrica (GORGEOUS GUY AND HIS ACCENT WAS AWESOME). Anyway, he played on a Rugby team and the competed at RAndalls Island believe it or not. Famous drum corps stomping grounds for one of the Greats at one time :unsure: .

I also remember getting in touch with a girl from LI that was interested in marching. She had marched DCI, I think Santa Clara or something and had moved East and wanted to march again but couldn't because she played Rugby on the weekends.

Ok, here's the big question. HOW DO YOU PLAY RUGBY? Isn't it like football or something?

Hol, we are totally getting mats in my backyard this year and playing Ultimate frisbee!!!! Sarah, your invited. Fran, you can MC!!!! What a blast that'd be!!!

Women's rugby in the US has never been televised - but the Maryland Women's club was VERY good in the mid nineties, so maybe they ot the DC team had matches on a local cable channel? Or if it more recent, it could be some stuff from New Zealand - the women's rugby over there is amazing, as is the mens's.

Mid-90's would be the time frame I'm talking about...... and the telecast had a very "local cable" look to it.... so it could have been the Maryland/DC stuff.

After a couple of pints of Guinness, the sport got even more fascinating! b**bs

Fran

I still they they should bring back the tick system, but with a new twist on it.

Instead of scoring sheets.. the judges should have paintball guns.. if you mess up. you get hit... hence.. you get a tick.

corps with the least amount of paint on their uniforms at the end of the show wins.....

Hey Fran, you have some clout in the activity. I'd like to do a fun fund-raiser like that. We can just have a fun day competition. We would wear paint ball gear (we'll get a paint ball company to sponsor). We'll play those big plastic horns they sell at parades and the drum line will drum on coffee cans or buckets, BUT WE HAVE TO DO OUR DRILL PRISTINE OR ELSE the judges will shoot us with paint guns!!

I CALL IT. Fran, you can be annnouncer, BUT, in this contest you will do play by plays.

For more info on this fun event and if you would like to participate please email me directly :P .

Oh, we'd have to host it at a crappy field, but who cares. The rain will wash it off and we can rent bleachers.

YEAH, YEAH THAT'S THE TICKET!!!!! COFFEE OVERLOAD I TELL YA!!!!

Ok. so here are the rules for the Paintball compitition..

1. Fran... since you'll be in the box and calling the play by play.. your totally allowed to get a copy of the drill. (i can hear it now.. "Oh no.. the drumline is completely screwed.. they're almost 5 yards off! Watch out guys! Better brace yourself!"

2. the drum majors are fair game for ANY judge.

3. the judges are allowed to communicate with each other via headsets.

4. anyone in the corps can be hit... marching members, honor guard, even the techs...(we'll have to make them stay on the field of course)

plus... theres can also be some audience participation...

OK.. say tickets are 10 bucks to get in.. well... for 15 dollars... we hand out a slingshot and 5 paintballs... and for 25 bucks.. we hand out paintball guns and 10 paintballs.. and these people are allowed on the field during the corps of their choice.

anyway. thats all i have so far.. but this would be totally fun.....

Deux

I almost forgot about the director!!!!

If the judges don't like something overall, they just shoot the Director!!!!!

It gets better and better doesn't it?!?!?!?!?!

Edited by HollyDeux

Ok. so here are the rules for the Paintball compitition..

1. Fran... since you'll be in the box and calling the play by play.. your totally allowed to get a copy of the drill. (i can hear it now.. "Oh no.. the drumline is completely screwed.. they're almost 5 yards off! Watch out guys! Better brace yourself!"

2. the drum majors are fair game for ANY judge.

3. the judges are allowed to communicate with each other via headsets.

4. anyone in the corps can be hit... marching members, honor guard, even the techs...(we'll have to make them stay on the field of course)

plus... theres can also be some audience participation...

OK.. say tickets are 10 bucks to get in.. well... for 15 dollars... we hand out a slingshot and 5 paintballs... and for 25 bucks.. we hand out paintball guns and 10 paintballs.. and these people are allowed on the field during the corps of their choice.

anyway. thats all i have so far.. but this would be totally fun.....

Deux

Wow..... if you guys ever get this off the ground and I can make it there on that date, I'M IN!!!!!!

Fran

Actually Sarah, there's quite a few Rugby teams in Queens. One of my friends married this guy from South AFrica (GORGEOUS GUY AND HIS ACCENT WAS AWESOME). Anyway, he played on a Rugby team and the competed at RAndalls Island believe it or not. Famous drum corps stomping grounds for one of the Greats at one time :unsure: .

I also remember getting in touch with a girl from LI that was interested in marching. She had marched DCI, I think Santa Clara or something and had moved East and wanted to march again but couldn't because she played Rugby on the weekends.

Ok, here's the big question. HOW DO YOU PLAY RUGBY? Isn't it like football or something?

Hol, we are totally getting mats in my backyard this year and playing Ultimate frisbee!!!! Sarah, your invited. Fran, you can MC!!!! What a blast that'd be!!!

That's Sara without the H, thanks.

I have played rugby on Randalls Island myself many times and use to practice and play there when I played with New York Women in 2000. One of my teammates was from LI and marched Cadets for a season. I was just there a few weeks ago to watch a match and they have a lovely pitch right next to the new stadium. I played rugby in the old stadium, but the new field is sweeeeeeet.

I actually spent four years on the Board of Directors for the Northeast Rugby Union, so I am very aware of the local teams throught the Northeast. Three of my women's clubs are in the top 8 of the country. My NRU All Star women's sides won the USA All Star Championships in 2001 and 2005 (15s) runners up in 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004 in 15s and in 7s we've won the last two All Star championships. So not only do I like the sport, I excel at administrating it.

It is all a team, from the admins and coaches to the players and managers and no one is bigger than the whole. Too many drum corps get away from the importance of the team concept and that is their downfall.

Sorry about the H. Kind of like I'm HOLLY I - RIGHT HOL? :unsure:

Your right on about the drum corps thing. Sometimes it can get really ugly, and what stinks most about that is, that's NOT why we do this. It's supposed to be an activity we all enjoy with ONE COMMON GOAL. If your not on the same page and working TOGETHER, you shoot yourself in the foot right from the start. But like Ralph said, that's a whole other Oprah.

Congrats on your success with your Rugby teams. Maybe one day we'll get out to Randall's Island and watch a match.

Maybe I'll have someone teach my kids rugby in the backyard so they can beat each other up in an "organized" way and learn a sport while doing it!!!!

Edited by skymom

Fran, believe me, it wouldn't be as fun without you calling the play by plays, so you would be one of the FIRST to know!!!

Edited by skymom