Program Coordinator Named for Madison Scouts

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1999? The JC Superstar show was fantastic. You can barely hear the corps at times during that performance the crowd was screaming so loud.

99 6th

98 6th

97 5th

96 6th

You went the wrong direction:

99 was a great year, but after that:

2000 10th

2001 11th

2002 13th I'd say that was a major problem and it was all alumni staff, how long could the corps survive out of the top 12 and why did the BOD let it go on that long?

2003 8th new staff, instant turn around with a young corps

2004 8th

2005 6th, should have been 5th, corps is showing a steady climb

2006 10th, bad show no doubt, visual designers should have been fired, not loose the corps director and whole staff

Now hold on...before this well intended thread gets too far out of hand by people who only know face value information, or worse yet only know

rumor or innuendo perpetuated by suggestion and commentary ...

Some people here have questioned the staff choices made, and that's fine... no problem. You have that right. But no matter what cleverly disguised

discontent anyone can mill out by asking "innocent" questions, it's all really MOOT, isn't it? Because the decisions being made are being made by people a whole

heck of a lot closer to what is going on in Madison NOW than anyone here on DCP who is trying to compare apples and oranges or create some kind of chaotic

crisis that isn't there.

The facts remain these:

-Their drum caption head bailed out to go to Cadets. No problem, that kind of thing has been happening in drum corps for years and years.

-The Scouts BOD decided not to renew the directors (Sal Salas) contract... for reasons that are between the Scouts BOD and Sal.

-Several instructors and two BOD left the corps after that announcement was made. The BOD does not handle instructional staff issues. Many were invited to stay, but chose

not to as a result of loyalty to Sal or it was gonna happen anyway or whatever. And so that just has to be OK, and the corps needs to move forward. There may indeed be

some members who won't come back as well, but there will be many who will, and probably a whole lot of new guys who will desire to be Scout's to fill the ranks out.

Beyond that, NO ONE here (including me) knows what the true facts are surrounding these decisions from both sides. And certainly at face value, it sure does

look and sound bad, but we don't have all the facts. The idiosyncrasies can be debated here on DCP until we're all blue in the face, but it will not put it all back together

again the way it was three months ago. So the only thing there was to do by the Scout's was to bring it all in house... do the necessary damage control, and get some

new people in to move forward, which is what they are doing. Don't pat yourself on the back thinking you have come up with some issue that the corps itself hasn't

thought of, or heard about by reading or word of mouth or even by its own members and alumni.

So some of you get irritated at the strong desire for there to be strong "alumni" staff in place... OK, sorry that irritates you personally, but get over it. It's just a strong

desire that alumni of the corps have. Maybe if you had been a Madison Scout, you'd feel the same way...maybe not. I doubt they can make it an "ALL alumni staff"

anyway, but throughout the years the corps ideology has been preserved by having corps alumni on the instructional staff. I'm sure many other corps have that, too.

Some people seem so hung up on having only the names that are NAMES in the drum corps world be the staff of any corps. Well those names became "names" by getting

their start somewhere, and certainly NONE of these choices Madison have made are inexperienced drum corps people who have no clue what is going on. Just cuz YOU

never heard of them doesn't mean anything... I couldn't tell you who half the people are on most corps staffs, anyway. So again, the fact you don't know some of these

names is also MOOT.

SO... :ramd: ... Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread...

Edited by GGarrett

Well put Geno...

I would also like to point out that for those people referring to Matt or Mark as simply "division II" guys, first of all they're not, they marched and have been part of Division I. Second of all, have all of the top staff members of the division I elite been strictly members then staff members of division I corps, or have they worked with divison I and II corps before hand. Take Matt for instance, was he heavily involved for a few years with DivisionII yes, but also, he was working with a well-known division I corps during that time, previous to that time, and after that time.

Yes. Matt was on Madison's brass staff from 95 through 00.

He was then Cap Sound's Director from 01-03 if I remember correctly.

Geno! I like the way you said that! :laugh: :)

Well put Geno...

I would also like to point out that for those people referring to Matt or Mark as simply "division II" guys, first of all they're not, they marched and have been part of Division I. Second of all, have all of the top staff members of the division I elite been strictly members then staff members of division I corps, or have they worked with divison I and II corps before hand. Take Matt for instance, was he heavily involved for a few years with DivisionII yes, but also, he was working with a well-known division I corps during that time, previous to that time, and after that time.

Actually, I think it is a plus that Matt has experience as the director of Cap Sound. I think the combination of directing and instructional experience is a real bonus for someone in a program coordination role.

Edited by Jim Anello