Mini Corps

The mini corps is and always has been a side project. We perform as an alumni corps all year and choose our show from the alumni repertoire(sp). On several occasions, we created an entirely new show, exclusive to our mini corps. That music was then adapted and carried over to the full corps the following year.

I was not involved with the corps this year due to career choices, but I understand that the corps focused on it's first appearance at the Alumni Spectacular, which I felt was a wise decision. They chose to use music from that show which,by the way, they had already paid all the licensing fees for.

The objective is and always has been, entertainment. All of this talk about rules changes really turns me away from the whole concept. Drill or no drill, music stands or not, if it is entertaining and performed well is all that really matters. I remember the first appearance of the Renegades at the mini corps contest. They were on after us and I walked outside and told several members of our corps,"I just saw the winners." Plain and simple,they entertained, they executed, they won. I believe that the next time the Renegades won, they played "Channel One Suite" from an arc,with a set drummer(who was excellent).So, they have performed both styles, drill vs. no drill, and been successful.

I still believe, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Speaking only for myself, not representing the Thunderbirds.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nick, now you owe me a personal apology for the slam that 2nd place is not a worthy position in mini corps!!! I thought you were over those childish remarks. Wear that Ghost Riders T-Shirt I presented you with @ the Erie Banquet.....it may turn you into a kinder person. I would expect an, "I'm sorry post".

In the 90's the competition was not what it is today and everyone knows it. However that doesn't take away from the fact that Erie does have SIX titles, and as I said at your banquet "that's a wonderful accomplishment and your corps should be proud, as the powerhouse that started it all".

Back to the discussion......I totally agree 21 is not enough members to fully accomplish a drill so to speak. However, there should be some recognition for staging/show design/and other enhancements used to help the complete package along. It doesn't appear and hasn't for years that any credit is even thought about ...... let along added to your score.

Nick, I though we were friends !

Doug GR

So what you are saying is that dinner at your house is a no-go??

Your friend,

Nick

Well I don't really know what to say about all of these possible rule changes that would take place, but I am sure the decision makers at the Rule's Congress will hopefully make the best ones. In my opinion I agree with a lot of the others out there saying that I beleive that are main focus as a mini-corps should be entertainment, this way to make it fun for both the musicians as well as the audience. This congress really could change the mini-corps spectrum forever, so I think that all of you that are going need to do us all a favor, and help mini-corps stand out as much as possible.

Not a rule change exactly, but how about letting the Minicorps winner perform at finals. Schedules are tight I am sure, but what's another 10 minutes for the folks to get a wee-bit more corps action? Seems like that would be a nice incentive for the Minicorps members.

Nick...yinz drinkin' again???

Where's the LOVE???

Can't you feel the LOVE???

When I saw a post that bragged about the most 2nd place finishes.......I just couldn't resist.

'Cause 2nd place is the first loser. Now "Dougie" is mad at me. If Doug wants me to apologize, I refer him to the "FORMAL APOLOGY" thread. Once you've checked that thread out, you'll see that I know how to apologize.

Dougie was mean to me.

Can't you feel the LOVE???

When I saw a post that bragged about the most 2nd place finishes.......I just couldn't resist.

'Cause 2nd place is the first loser. Now "Dougie" is mad at me. If Doug wants me to apologize, I refer him to the "FORMAL APOLOGY" thread. Once you've checked that thread out, you'll see that I know how to apologize.

Dougie was mean to me.

Lol Dougie can be like that, we all get on that side of him at one point or another, and you know 2nd place isn't as bad as it seems, because 2nd place may be the first looser, but look at movies and stuff, 2nd place people are usually the ones who work their hardest for what they do. Just my opninion that's all.

Not a rule change exactly, but how about letting the Minicorps winner perform at finals. Schedules are tight I am sure, but what's another 10 minutes for the folks to get a wee-bit more corps action? Seems like that would be a nice incentive for the Minicorps members.

Renegades performed at Finals after their win in Syracuse in 2001,..............................

BTW, the stadium venue in Scranton in 2005 was by far the best for the corps and the fans, IMO that should be a rule,..................a Stadium (or a real Auditorium)

Renegades performed at Finals after their win in Syracuse in 2001,..............................

BTW, the stadium venue in Scranton in 2005 was by far the best for the corps and the fans, IMO that should be a rule,..................a Stadium (or a real Auditorium)

1) A mini-corps should be versatile enough to perform in any space large enough (hence the minimum performance space rule).

2) Now that all the minis know what the performance venue is like, they can design their show for 2007 accordingly, if that makes a difference to them.

I thought the venue in 2006 was great. The raised stage made it easy to see the mini-corps, and it was a BIG room. Sound was fine. There was a bar. What more do you need?

Edited by Kamarag