Your ideas for the New York Skyliners

Wow, how do you pick 3 years out of 60 something with the music of Sky?

As a long time fan I would have to say 1971, 1975, 1982, 1987, 1993.

Sorry I couldn't narrow it down anymore.

Wish you the best of luck in 2007, bring the Skyliners back for us!!!!

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The music seemed simple because you could hum it, but when you listened to the illegal tapes made at the shows (hey... everyone brought a tape player back then :) ) you could hear the various layers in the music. Thats what made it awsome... it was intricate. You'd walk away from the show humming a tune and when you listened to the tapes over and over again you would eventually hear another tune interlaced in the main theme. MAN I MISS THAT.

Hy's trademark.

1989 was the year the ghosts walked. Anyone on the field that night will remember that performance. (Dirt, I owe you a beer for that one). What a performance...what a finish.

Barbara

scary that night barb

There is a Chantal Kreviazuk song called Feels Like Home To me which is a excellent ballad that is just dyeing for a drum corps to do.IF you got the sops with chops,,this is a must do song.

You can hear a clip of it hhere however the song really picks the tempo up through out the entire ballad.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Lose-Guy-10-Days...TF8&s=music

Bonnie Rait did a version of it way back in the day.

I first heard this song in the movie HOW TO LOSE A GUY IN 12 days.The show is shot in New York and there is a very moving scene where they spend the weekend in NJ then come home to NY.

Lots of different ways to tie this song in with others.

93, 94 Guys and Dolls

1983 (Billy the Kid drum solo!) 1962, and 1978

Ever since The Cadets did "Big Apple" I have wanted to see a show of all the "New York, New York" songs:

New York, New York (opening theme from "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes")

New York, New York (from "On the Town")

New York, New York (by Liza/Frank/etc.)

etcetera, etcetera

Well since I have only been exposed to Sky live since about 01, my favorite shows were the 02/03 shows with the Linda Eder stuff

Whenever I think of NYC and the Skyliners, three composers come to mind: Bernstein, Greschwin, and Cole Porter.

Skyliners should do an all- Bernstein show featuring excerpts and themes/motifs primarily from On the Waterfront, On the Town, Fancy Free Ballet and maybe even Preludes, Fugues and Riffs.

An all-Gerschwin show coulds revolve around any one of several serious pieces such as Rhapsody in Blue, American in Paris, Concerto in F or possibly even Porgy and Bess.

There are so many great Cole Porter tunes that it would be difficult to choose but there are some new (or fairly new), fresh arrangements of Porter from Michael Buble', Diana Krall (on her newest album- check out From this Moment On), and DeeDee Bridgewater.

Or, choose any one of the three composers and use the themes and motifs of the other two to help transition from one production to the other. Their music is so timeless that everyone can relate.

Just my $.02 but good luck Sky and Harry Eldridge Sr.

1989 was the year the ghosts walked. Anyone on the field that night will remember that performance.

You guys knocked us out of our seats that night.... a great performance!

Fran

Lee,

The years 1962, 1968, and 1971 in that order would be my pick. Remember these songs transcend (sp?) time. I am not looking for a cheezy reproduction but a modern day adaptation of what has and will work for Sky. Can't wait! You guys have always been my idols