Your ideas for the New York Skyliners

You guys knocked us out of our seats that night.... a great performance!

Fran

fran it was scary

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weren't many of these old Sky numbers done with a full corps? What about something that would work for Sky in its current incarnation? Unless the corps is anticipating a huge jump in numbers they might consider examining the format that the "A" corps have been winning with the last couple of years and adapt it to their own style. A lot of smaller groups have a lot of luck using stages and/or backdrops to make their shows more effective by "walling off" the field and creating a smaller, more intimate stage. The less empty field there is, the more effective you will look. Just make sure you guys march and play even better than before and that the show is well-coordinated and makes logical sense... that is step #1.

Edited by EuphKub79

Well since I have only been exposed to Sky live since about 01, my favorite shows were the 02/03 shows with the Linda Eder stuff

2003 was my rookie year. :P I think the best song we played that year was the ballad.

A lot of smaller groups have a lot of luck using stages and/or backdrops to make their shows more effective by "walling off" the field and creating a smaller, more intimate stage.

Sky did that two years ago. They took some heat for it though. Some folks on DCP discounted it. Maybe its because they were competing open class.

Which makes me wonder... open or A class next season? I know it's too early to tell, but this will most likely stear the staff to a show concept. I don't envy thier position. How do you choose a show for a corps thats rebuilding. All the shows that everyone liked were done with a full NY Skyliner corps.

Last season NY designed thier show for a larger number of participants, and threw thier shakos in the open class ring. By the end of the season they were small enough to compete in A-class, which with the score they received, they would have won. Unfortunately they had to declare open class based on the numbers they expected.

Really! Really! good luck to Harry and crew. I hope you guys can turn it around real soon.

Weren't many of these old Sky numbers done with a full corps? What about something that would work for Sky in its current incarnation? Unless the corps is anticipating a huge jump in numbers they might consider examining the format that the "A" corps have been winning with the last couple of years and adapt it to their own style. A lot of smaller groups have a lot of luck using stages and/or backdrops to make their shows more effective by "walling off" the field and creating a smaller, more intimate stage. The less empty field there is, the more effective you will look. Just make sure you guys march and play even better than before and that the show is well-coordinated and makes logical sense... that is step #1.

The 2007 New York Skyliners corps will be larger than it has been in the past few years ... and I don't think anyone can decide what class the Skyliners will end up until the late Spring, when the decision will make itself.

Skyliners being larger sounds like great news.

That's the Plan. It will take a lot of hard work, and a killer show and staff. But, a lot of people -- even their competitors -- want to see Skyliners back in the mix.

So ... Seatbelts on.

Let's go! ^0^

How about a Leonard Bernstein classic, written in New York by a New Yorker about a pair of young New Yorkers. The "New york, New York" Skyliners signature theme is quoted several times within the work. There is a deeply emotional and beautiful ballad, some cool odd time signature stuff, swing, bop, jazz and contemporary music styles ala Webern. Familiar and new at the same time, a good arranger could have a field day with it. Originally written for a smaller ensemble so possibly a good selection for a growing corps. The New Yorky style of the piece would dovetail nicely with other classic Skyliners stuff. And it's never been done by any drum corps, ever.

Trouble In Tahiti

http://www.amazon.com/Bernstein-Century-Tr...TF8&s=music

Samples to listen to:

I Was Standing in a Garden (ballad) - the Real Player version (WM version is before the ballad, the actual ballad is called "There is a Garden")

How Could You Say - windows media version

Skit a Lit Day

Then Desire Took Hold Inside Me (WM and RP versions are different)

There's a Law (gymnasium version)

Evenin' Shadows - one of my all time favorites

Edited by MarimbasaurusRex

That's the Plan. It will take a lot of hard work, and a killer show and staff. But, a lot of people -- even their competitors -- want to see Skyliners back in the mix.

So ... Seatbelts on.

Let's go! ^0^

buckle up!!!