Jeff Queen and the Colts

Jeff Queen Named Colts Percussion Arranger

October 21, 2006

Colts Staff

The Colts Drum and Bugle Corps is pleased to announce the appointment of Jeff Queen as percussion arranger for the 2007 season.

"Jeff brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to our veteran design team, and we are excited to have him with us," said Greg Orwoll, Colts Executive Director. "I am very impressed with his credentials and track record of success, certainly, but I am as impressed with Jeff personally. He will be a huge addition for our program."

Jeff Queen has been involved with percussion since the age of 10. At the age of 15, Jeff began his drum corps career with the Canton Bluecoats and continued on to march with the Velvet Knights, Santa Clara Vanguard, Blue Knights and the University of North Texas. Jeff was the Drum Corps International Individual and Ensemble Snare Drum Champion in 1994 and 1995 as well as the Percussive Arts Society Individual Snare Drum Champion in 1994 and 1995. Jeff has taught in the drum corps activity for many years, including being the caption head for the Carolina Crown Drum and Bugle Corps from 2003-2004.

Jeff is an original cast member of the Tony and Emmy award winning Broadway show, "BLAST," where he was a solo performer and battery instructor from 1999-2003. Jeff has performed on stages across the country and in Europe, including Broadway and London. In addition Jeff has appeared on numerous television shows including: The Late Show with David Letterman, The Kennedy Center Honors 2000, NBA All-Star Game 2001, "BLAST," and "The Making of Blast" on PBS DVD and Video.

Queen is the author of "The Next Level: Rudimental Snare Drum Techniques" available through Mark Wessels Publications and "Playing With Sticks," a more than three-hour instructional DVD through Hudson Music. More of Jeff's compositions are available through Drop6 Media Inc. and TapSpace Publications. Jeff is a signature artist for Vic Firth drumsticks and mallets, and proudly endorses Pearl Drums, Evans Drumheads, and Zildjian Cymbals.

Currently, Jeff lives in Indianapolis, IN, where he is a full-time student at Butler University and will graduate in May with his degree in Music Theory and Composition. In addition to his studies, Jeff teaches and arranges locally with the world champion Avon High School drum line, and travels the country as an active composer, arranger, judge, clinician and performer.

Further information on the Colts, including membership information, is available at www.colts.org.

Great addition for Colts, but does this mean that Nick Angelis (I think that was the name of the caption head, someone correct me if I'm wrong) will no longer be with the corps?

Excellent for the Colts.

I can remember in 2002 at the SCV Alumni rehearsals in the drum room. After I mentioned that an invitation had been sent to Jeff to play with us everone started playing everything three times faster. True story.

Mom

I had the pleasure of meeting/talking with Nick at a UC football game a couple of weeks ago. He is taking the summer off, and it'll prolly be his first "break" in quite some time. As of now he is the Assistant Band Director at UC (Cincinnati) and has really helped to improve that program. And if I'm not mistaken, he is working on either his master's/doctorate (sorry, not sure) at CCM.