In response to Cadets opening up for ideas

"Sleep My Child"

Lullabye (Goodnight My Angel) - Billy Joel

Apocalyptic Dreams - Seven Witches

The Promise of Living - Aaron Copland

The Awakening - Joseph M. Martin

I figure you play the last couple minutes of The Awakening, and you have the crowd literally eating out of your hand. Hornline builds to this small climax, drops out, lets the percussion build it back up, and returns in your face at quadruple forte. Can you say bliss?

Edited by Toby

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what I proposed to George...

2007 Show Theme

Rediscovering Our Roots

Music

Preamble For A Solemn Occasion, Copland

Symphonic Ode, Copland

The music I've selected is both exciting, accessible and not used very often by drum corps or marching bands, so it will also feel fresh and new. It is also very fan-friendly and will appeal to both old-school drum corps fans as well as newer fans, and I'm sure will definitely be a crowd favorite each and every time it's played.

Preamble For A Solemn Occasion was written for the founding of the United Nations. Very fanfare-like in quality with soaring French Horns and extremely brass-centric.

http://www.amazon.com/Copland-Collection-O...TF8&s=music

Symphonic Ode features complex rhythms, great ballad section, fanfare qualities, and an ending that will make all drum corps fans stand and cheer loudly!

http://www.amazon.com/Copland-Early-Orches...TF8&s=music

Edited by helmsm

sorry, double post

Edited by helmsm

"Sleep My Child"

Lullabye (Goodnight My Angel) - Billy Joel

Apocalyptic Dreams - Seven Witches

The Promise of Living - Aaron Copland

The Awakening - Joseph M. Martin

I figure you play the last couple minutes of The Awakening, and you have the crowd literally eating out of your hand. Hornline builds to this small climax, drops out, lets the percussion build it back up, and returns in your face at quadruple forte. Can you say bliss?

first time i heard (actaully first time i performed, but what ever) the awakening i thought if would be awesome on the field, always though i would pair if with sleep though, maybe that is too overplayed for the top corps.

The more I think about it - the more I wish they would do some more Philip Spark (however, I'd love for SCV to play more Philip Glass but I don't see that happening either).

I proposed a Lord of the Rings show - with mentions for possible nods to the 93 show throughout (I used music from an older fight).

Repertoire:

Howard Shore – Concerning Hobbits (Fellowship of the Ring)

Howard Shore – The Riders of Rohan (The Two Towers )

Howard Shore – Helm’s Deep (The Two Towers)

Enya – May it Be (Fellowship of the Ring)

Leonard Rosenman – The Dawn Battle – Theoden’s Victory (The Lord of the Rings – 1978)

Howard Shore – The White Tree (The Return of the King)

I have a write up that I sent with it that explains the flow and transitional cuts that I had in mind. If nothing else, I think that May it Be would make a nice ballad.

Video Game Music.

Specifically, anything from the Final Fantasy series, by Nobuo Uematsu (the John Williams of the video game world).

I think people who are unfamiliar with VG music would be pleasantly surprised.

Thats funny , my schools winter percussion is doing a nintendo show or something to do with video games. too bad my mallet playing is garbage!!1 well thats why im a euph playerr!!!

Thats funny , my schools winter percussion is doing a nintendo show or something to do with video games. too bad my mallet playing is garbage!!1 well thats why im a euph playerr!!!

The final fantasy music is not the kind of video game music you are probably thinking of.

ALthough old-school nintendo would be cool for indoor percusion.

Here's what I proposed to George...

2007 Show Theme

Rediscovering Our Roots

Music

Preamble For A Solemn Occasion, Copland

Symphonic Ode, Copland

The music I've selected is both exciting, accessible and not used very often by drum corps or marching bands, so it will also feel fresh and new. It is also very fan-friendly and will appeal to both old-school drum corps fans as well as newer fans, and I'm sure will definitely be a crowd favorite each and every time it's played.

Preamble For A Solemn Occasion was written for the founding of the United Nations. Very fanfare-like in quality with soaring French Horns and extremely brass-centric.

http://www.amazon.com/Copland-Collection-O...TF8&s=music

Symphonic Ode features complex rhythms, great ballad section, fanfare qualities, and an ending that will make all drum corps fans stand and cheer loudly!

http://www.amazon.com/Copland-Early-Orches...TF8&s=music

Listened to the clips and it SCREEMS mid 80's Cadets!!!

"Foreward to the Future"

Musical Selections from the 1926 movie "Metropolis" (The original movie score, not the re-written one)

While it may not be the type of music you would invision being played on the field, it's artistic in the sort of way only the Cadets (or Star of Indiana, if they were still around) could pull off.

I really think this is an idea that could be done well, especially by the Cadets.

The final fantasy music is not the kind of video game music you are probably thinking of.

ALthough old-school nintendo would be cool for indoor percusion.

i dunno , never played video games all that much. but i cant wait to see the show.ill get in for free anyway , cause im a :blink: NINJAAA!!!