top 5 moments in drum corps history

(5) Santa Clara playing backfield 1974 at Whitewater (one of my earliest memories)

(4) 27th alums in 1994

(3) First time I saw Garfield in 1984 (how many standing O's - I lost count)

(2) Madison 1975

(1) 1988 Finals: "And in second place, with a score of . . . , the San . . . (BEDLAM)" (My brother and I ended up three rows down from where we were sitting - unfortunate for those sitting in the rows in front of us, I guess. We then watched our youngest brother perform in the encore. I'll never forget it.)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(5) Santa Clara playing backfield 1974 at Whitewater (one of my earliest memories)

(4) 27th alums in 1994

(2) Madison 1975

(1) 1988 Finals: "And in second place, with a score of . . . , the San . . . (BEDLAM)" (My brother and I ended up three rows down from where we were sitting - unfortunate for those sitting in the rows in front of us, I guess. We then watched our youngest brother perform in the encore. I'll never forget it.)

P.S. I didn't include the Madison Alumni performance, as I was a part of it.

1. 1994 Brass Theatre - performing with Star & the Canadian Brass in Canton, trooping into the audience to play C-Jam

2. 1992 Finals (my first) - seeing the Bottle Dance and When a Man Loves a Woman live

3. 1994 Finals (my last as a member) - we weren't great, but we definately maxxed out at the right time

4. 1996 Finals - "In second place, which is actually a TIE FOR FIRST PLACE!!!"

5. 2006 Finals - amazing shows and crazy results - all but 3 corps swap spots from semis - I was SO hoarse for the next week from yelling BLOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These are my personal top 5 - the top 5 memories in my drum corps life.

1.) 1969 VFW Nationals - the first finals I attended. I remember the Kilties and the Argon Rebels mostly.

2.) 1972 - Seeing the Kingsmen rehearse at the same school we were. Then going on after them in a show and feeling sooooo small.

3.) 1974 - Seeing Madison in a show in Milwaukee. Aterwards I decided to quit my job and move to Madison and join the Scouts.

4.) 1975 - DCI Finals in Philly. Watching the crowd go nuts at the end of our show and knowing the that we had won.

5.) 2006 - MSARP at DCI prelims. Watching the crowd go nuts at the end of our show and feeling my heart almost pound out of my skin.

Top 5 moments in JUNIOR CORPS:

SCV bottle dance 1979.

Troopers sunburst

Bridgemen '76

Cross-to-cross at the end of 91 Star.

1984 Garfield Cadets

Honorable mention:

Madison Scouts 1975

SCV 89 - Music of the Night

Spirit Of Atlanta 1980

Z-pull in '83 and '84

Amazingly, my own top 5 are strikingly similar:

SCV Bottle Dance - early 1970's

The tension and build up brought audiences to their feet - possibly the origin of the term "throwing their babies in the air". The most exciting thing I had ever seen at the time.

Troopers Sunburst

One of the first "Western" corps to visit the east. Incredible marching and precision. The highlight of course was the sunburst, but also the rifle exchange through the drum major was killer.

Bridgemen 1976

One of our big rivals that year. A very non-traditional, audience pleasing approach to drum corps. Laugh out loud antics. Nobody would have taken the daring innovation seriously if they weren't so DARN good at it!

Assymetrical drill First performed by SCV with Holszt's Planets, the Pete Emmons drill threw the judges and audiences a curve ball. Their lowest placement to date in DCI, but it paved the way for assymetry, the "Z" pull, and modern drill.

27th Lancers Guard Sure, tosses and exchanges had been done before, but in 1975, the rifles started spinning while lying on their backs, and by 1979 EVERYTHING went up in the air amidst a kaleidoscope of color

Honorable Mentions:

[/b]1975 DCI Broadcast on PBS

At last, we could set our VCR's and preserve our own memories for posterity!

The onset of the Internet

Communication and up-to-the-minute info at our home computers!

The Cavalier drill style

Always cutting edge, breath-taking and seemingly impossible to execute as well as they do.

The "Pit"

Added musicality, better posture in later life

I have more, but for now, those are the ones that come to mind.

27th - Danny Boy, anytime.

Troopers - Starburst, anytime.

Star - Medea from top to bottom.

Cavaliers - the joy of the guard just running in 4 Corners.

Spectacle City Mariners - the Drum Major's sabre going up and then coming down and sticking in the field - thwoingggggg.

Since you said my personal top 5 moments in drum corps history:

1. The night in 1963 when my brother dragged my Dad off to a meeting of people trying to start a drum corps in our town. My Mom's famous last words to my Dad were "don't get involved". A couple of months later, he was the Executive Director and stayed there for 17 seasons.

2. Marching my last DCI in 1980.

3. Seeing my sister march in Finals in 1983 (with 27th), something I never got to experience in 16 years of marching.

4. The night my son (at age 10) said, "Dad, I want to march in drum corps".

5. December 18, 2005, at Blue Stars camp, when my son ran up to me and said, "I got a contract!!!"

Since you said my personal top 5 moments in drum corps history:

1. The night in 1963 when my brother dragged my Dad off to a meeting of people trying to start a drum corps in our town. My Mom's famous last words to my Dad were "don't get involved". A couple of months later, he was the Executive Director and stayed there for 17 seasons.

2. Marching my last DCI in 1980.

3. Seeing my sister march in Finals in 1983 (with 27th), something I never got to experience in 16 years of marching.

4. The night my son (at age 10) said, "Dad, I want to march in drum corps".

5. December 18, 2005, at Blue Stars camp, when my son ran up to me and said, "I got a contract!!!"

I had the pleasure of knowing your dad over the years, from the Kingsmen, through the Lancers, and on to the Cadets. What a great guy!!! Glad to hear the family tradition is continuing. ("Contract!" LOL!!!)

(4) 27th alums in 1994

(2) Madison 1975

Amendment:

(5) Santa Clara playing backfield 1973 at Whitewater.

Senior moment.

I usually don't post on these but heres the moments that always give me goosebumps...

1) The shot of Kristy Spears trying to hold it in near the end of the 96 Phantom video

2) the shot of the girl at the end of the 93 Star show

3) 87 Cadets company front

4) 88 or 89 SCV when the crowd is in such AWE it doesn't know if it should just take it all in or cheer. (Those moments are the best, when your so taken back by the music you are just motionless)

5) The end of any show when you see the members reactions (A lot of times you see it with BD bobbing their heads) Unless you have marched you cannot describe that feeling