Mellophone parts

rai-mello

Even if pieces don't sound good on mello, it doesn't mean reading them won't improve your reading skill. After years, I've learned that playing what is fun or what sounds good (or things I'm easily interested in) isn't always the best way to improve. If you want to improve READING, the best way to do it is to READ - anything and everything. If you want to improve chops or technique, it is better to play something meant for your instrument, in this case probably a mello or trumpet part, though honestly, I think many clarinet parts make great mello playing. Technical improvement and sightreading make use of different kinds of practice, though both can help the other.

being a horn player way longer than a mellophone, I've found that The Who can provide some fun stuff. Also, there are some pretty good horn parts in more modern classical music and big band music.

But I also agree with the others on this forum that playing whatever comes your way is always good. Unless it's in bass claf, for obvious reasons.

Hmm, there are a few corps who have some free audition pieces posted. In fact, the Madison Scouts baritone audition piece is one I'm using for another corps! They have a few etudes posted, as do Blue Devils. There are a few other corps that post audition music freely, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Just check the membership sections of websites of some different corps to see what's posted.

Have fun!

being a horn player way longer than a mellophone, I've found that The Who can provide some fun stuff. Also, there are some pretty good horn parts in more modern classical music and big band music.

But I also agree with the others on this forum that playing whatever comes your way is always good. Unless it's in bass claf, for obvious reasons.

Using your logic, then reading anything in bass clef would be good. :P

I hate getting horns parts in bass clef, that's why I work my ### off at staying principle in my groups! b**bs

Horn parts in bass clef can be fun. The third part in the Dvorak Serenade is awesome, as is the fourth part in the Strauss Serenade for Winds. However, none of the parts in those pieces are boring, or "not fun."

PM me with an email address and I will send you a bunch of Mello parts from the Renegades.

PM me with an email address and I will send you a bunch of Mello parts from the Renegades.

---------------------------

I know youre looking for corps mello parts - but I would *strongly* reccomend purchasing a book entitled: 36 etudes transcendante - by Theo Charlier. The book contains some rather challenging etudes that are a pleasure to play - technicaly, melodically, and harmonically. The book is for trumpet/cornet, and the material in the book is required reading at many music schools,orchestras, etc.......

Go get yourself an Arbans book.

Start playing from it.

Doesn't matter that it's written for Trumpet. If you're playing mellophone, the exercises will keep you on your toes.

All good ideas, but I think he is just looking for mello parts to play through!

If anyone else wants a copy of my care package of Mello parts, let me know.