Hey Cadets, how's this for unconventional?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sheesh, didn't anyone see the Cadets early 2005 with the "are they coming or going" unis?

Corps will never mess with the uniform/uniform is sacred my rear end. B)

Why not just dress them up in clown outfits and get it over with so we can all have a good laugh.

Hey Hoppy, with all due respect, I'm all for TRADITION in drum corps. Unfortunately some people in TODAYS drum corps thinks that TRADITION is bad....poppycock. :wub:

However, I do think if you were to loose the wide cumber bun and have a more West Point "CADET" uniform, you may look more comtemporary and still keep a lot of TRADITION !!! :doh:

Just something to make you go HMMMMM !!! :wub::wub:

Changing things can sometimes be even more dangerous than keeping things the same, especially in this case, because the older form becomes essentially dead, never to seen again.

Edited by Hrothgar15

I don't really like The Cadets uniform anyway.

sorry, I don't know why... just don't.

something new would be nice.

~>conner

Thought-provoking proposal, Gary.

This is an idea that has also occured to me many times in recent years. Why shakos and aussies and helmets? Is this a musical group or an army? Why rifles? Costuming has great potential to enhance themes of a production. Winterguards nearly always change costumes each season to reflect a new show design and concept. The power of colorguard theatrical costuming in drum corps is reaching new heights with the amazing work that Adam Sage is doing with Phantom Regiment. Maybe it's time for horns and drums to be included in the costume design.

BUT...

I would be concerned that this would be yet another "arms race" for corps to out-spend each other. Adding to the costs of buses, gasoline, insurance, instruments, food, salaries, amps... would be a huge annual expense for costume design and purchases? OUCH! When the top-5 start to do, the next 10 D1 corps will quickly look old-and-stale and behind the times.

On the other hand, a "West Side Story Redux" show could be staged with little more than jeans, sneakers, white T-shirts and Sharks and Jets jackets. Also, consider the costumes of cast members of BLAST! Quite simple, but they do the job.

What fun it could have been to have the Glassmen horn/drums in 18th century Viennese court attire for "Bethoven", SCV in Persian robes for "Scheherazade", or the entire Madison Scouts in tribal outfits.

(OK, ducking after that last suggestion)

Any other suggestions for corps costume re-designs? Double-plus-good if you can do it for a dime.

Why not just dress them up in clown outfits and get it over with so we can all have a good laugh.

As an afterthought, we can waive the age-out restriction so Hoppy can be the DM and lay claim to the title of "Bozo n' Chief". I also don't understand how people who claim to be former Xmen can be supportive of a corps that basically wanted nothing to do with them.

Edited by Piper

Interesting idea Gary! Star of Indiana did touch on this idea in the past, but not to the full extent that you are talking about. I do think changing uniforms to fit the repertoire would help sell the whole production. Think of how the visuals from the hornline could be enhanced by uniforms or "costumes" that fit the show. Winter guards have been doing this for years as well as winter drum lines, so it's time for DCI to start making a change in that direction too.

Like you suggested, corps could still keep their "traditional" uniforms for parades, concerts and retreats.