Have Dog, Will Travel

Mike I think that's a great idea. Being a member and now a staff member I can now watch the members and sympathize with their feelings of homesickness. I think it would almost have to be something each of the corps did. You know, if you have parents come on the road to volunteer have them bring the family dog along for a day?

I know when I get a dog of my own he'll have to tour with me if I do drum corps, maybe there's other staff members out there who have dogs that they could bring on the road with them. Accomadations could get hard though...

We had a dog in our corps one time. A German Shepherd. She looked like the meanest butt kicking dog you ever saw, but she was always a puppy at heart. She loved everybody and we all loved her back. To this day I still miss her.

Mike I think that's a great idea. Being a member and now a staff member I can now watch the members and sympathize with their feelings of homesickness. I think it would almost have to be something each of the corps did. You know, if you have parents come on the road to volunteer have them bring the family dog along for a day?

I know when I get a dog of my own he'll have to tour with me if I do drum corps, maybe there's other staff members out there who have dogs that they could bring on the road with them. Accomadations could get hard though...

I think the neat thing about someone bringing their dog in for the day just to let members pet and fawn over them is that corps wouldn't have to worry about accomodations. The corps move on, the dogs go home with their owners when the owners go home.

We already have water breaks and bathroom breaks. We perhaps could incorporate pet petting breaks. Science has shown for years that petting animals reduces stress. For those who miss their own pets, it might be a tonic to cheer them up a bit.

Now...would any directors be willing to consider the idea of putting out the word that pets are welcome to rehearsals during tour? And what liability issues might there be? I'd hate to suggest something and then have someone show up with their pet, some marcher accidentally pets them in a place they don't like or steps on their tail and gets bitten. It could happen.

What are you going to do when the dog wants to stick its head out the bus window, but can't because they don't open? :P

And what if somebody wants to bring an "exotic" pet like say, a snake on tour. Samuel L. Jackson can only be so many places at once, after all! :doh:

Another liability issue is allergies. If one person is allergic to dogs or cats, they wouldn't be too happy to have to ride around on a bus with one for 2-3 months.

Plus, what if the pet needs to go to a vet? It seems like staff members in some corps typically won't even take the KIDS to a doctor unless they're practically moments from death, after all. I doubt they'd be too enthusiastic to take Fluffy to the vet to make sure it gets its shots.

Edited by Galen

What are you going to do when the dog wants to stick its head out the bus window, but can't because they don't open? :P

And what if somebody wants to bring an "exotic" pet like say, a snake on tour. Samuel L. Jackson can only be so many places at once, after all! :doh:

Another liability issue is allergies. If one person is allergic to dogs or cats, they wouldn't be too happy to have to ride around on a bus with one for 2-3 months.

Plus, what if the pet needs to go to a vet? It seems like staff members in some corps typically won't even take the KIDS to a doctor unless they're practically moments from death, after all. I doubt they'd be too enthusiastic to take Fluffy to the vet to make sure it gets its shots.

But I'm not talking about taking the dog on tour, or even on the bus. I'm just talking about local people showing up with dogs so those who want to pet one and help relieve a little loneliness can do so. But I'm still concerned about liability issues.

Ah, gotcha.

In that case, I think the only real liability would be allergies.

If I were a director, I'd probably limit it to having family in the area bringing in pets. Don't know if it'd be the best idea to have random people bringing animals around.

It makes a lot of sense that many kids miss their pets the most. Something about the soft fur and that unconditional love. :)

As for parents and family, you can talk to them on the phone, and I imagine most families see the corps at some point during the season.

Then there are those trying to get away from their family. :doh: