Marching Music Majors

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I am in almost the EXACT same situation as the guy who started this thread.......My proffesor is also a performer of high quality, and he really does not support corps at all. I am a freshmen Music Ed major. I marched my junior and senior years of high school and have had the greatest experiences of my life. I teach at a local high school, which had football games, competitions, rehearsal, ect.....when ever I had to attend those activities, my proffesor seemed supportive, considering I was already teaching. What I dont think my proffesor understands, is that all the knowledge that I was teaching, was experience that I gained from Drum Corps. Because of my proffesor's stubborness, I try to just leave the subject of Corps alone. I go about my business doing what I need to do to succeed in both College and Drum Corps. One thing I find interesting, is that with-in our studio whenever we have a studio MasterClass, many of the issues that come up in ones playing are often solved by a drum corps student speaking up with technical advise gained from their experience. The whole time, the proffesor is nodding and agreeing with what the student is saying. I find that interesting.

I love my proffesor, and agree with and value all his teaching and advise, but I believe that he is mistaking when it comes to DCI.

I would reccomend that everyone give corps a shot. It may or may not be for that individual, but if it is what you want, GO FOR IT!!

i don't really get how marching multiple years can hurt your playing more than one year.

I don't really understand how it can hurt your playing at all really.

Sorry, but I think Tanglewood/EMF is going to be a lot more beneficial than marching 7-8 years in a corps. I mean, sure you can do, but you can steer your car with your feet too, doesn't mean it should be done.

If you want to march corps fine - if you don't want to that's fine too. But don't let someone punk you into not doing something that you want to do. Believe me, you'll remember your corpsmates after your schoolmates have been long forgotten.

Sorry, but I think Tanglewood/EMF is going to be a lot more beneficial than marching 7-8 years in a corps. I mean, sure you can do, but you can steer your car with your feet too, doesn't mean it should be done.

And God knows you are the end all, be all authority on what is better for you musically.

In truth, different things work for different people. Its not as cut and dry as you seem to think it is.

Not that Tanglewood isn't cool and all... :P

If you want to march corps fine - if you don't want to that's fine too. But don't let someone punk you into not doing something that you want to do. Believe me, you'll remember your corpsmates after your schoolmates have been long forgotten.

Let's just make sure that we don't get high and mighty about our activity. Corps is a wonderful activity, but is not for everyone, and there are other musical ventures that can be just as valuable to different people. Just as we don't like others assuming that drum corps is not beneficial or musical or whatever, we can't assume that corps is better than what others do. It puts us in the same vein as those who criticize us. Each opportunity and activity has it's own advantages and will affect each person differently. I chose not to march junior corps. Does that make me a cop-out or a sub-par musician or educator? I don't think so, and I don't think my directors, teachers, professors, or students would either. In the grand scheme of things, corps is no different than anything else. If we want to be recognized by others, we need to give their activities and interests the same recognition...that's the way I see it.

Oh, and back to the original topic, I've known many people have had a noticeable loss of tone quality (per their professors) after a summer with corps. It was their choice to do it, and it was their responsibility to make up for it with a lot of extra work in the next semester. I've known others who have improved. It depends on where you started, how you treated your technique over the summer, and how your professor teaches.

Let's just make sure that we don't get high and mighty about our activity. Corps is a wonderful activity, but is not for everyone, and there are other musical ventures that can be just as valuable to different people. Just as we don't like others assuming that drum corps is not beneficial or musical or whatever, we can't assume that corps is better than what others do. It puts us in the same vein as those who criticize us. Each opportunity and activity has it's own advantages and will affect each person differently. I chose not to march junior corps. Does that make me a cop-out or a sub-par musician or educator? I don't think so, and I don't think my directors, teachers, professors, or students would either. In the grand scheme of things, corps is no different than anything else. If we want to be recognized by others, we need to give their activities and interests the same recognition...that's the way I see it.

Oh, and back to the original topic, I've known many people have had a noticeable loss of tone quality (per their professors) after a summer with corps. It was their choice to do it, and it was their responsibility to make up for it with a lot of extra work in the next semester. I've known others who have improved. It depends on where you started, how you treated your technique over the summer, and how your professor teaches.

Sounds like a good DCA opinion, and I have no objections to it. But DCI's main focus is on youth deveploment, which is not to say that DCA doesn't care about it (they definately do). It's just that some band directors seem to discourage kids and I don't see any logic to it.

Never said I was, just stating something that's a tad obvious. It doesn't really bother me either way.

I think I would tend to agree with EotB on this one--sort of. If my kid wanted to be a professional musician (God help him/her) I would probably be happier if they spent a summer at Tanglewood, Interlochen, etc. instead of a summer with a corps. If he/she wanted to be a Band Director, yeah, I'd say corps is one of the best "labs" for teaching experience.

The greater point here (I think) is that unsupportive teachers are a huge bummer. I would wager that they are probably thinking of drum corps from a few decades ago where the more pressure you put on your chops with the octave key, the better you were at playing lead, etc.

With any situation, though, from the 50s, 60s, 70s to today, it depends on the specifics. As a whole, I think your private techers would be pleasantly surprised to see the techniques that are being taught out there--the only problem is, there's no guaranteeing the quality from one corps to another. So you really can't make a blanket statement either way, because I'm sure there are some brass teachers out there that are still using that octave key. :music:

I think I would tend to agree with EotB on this one--sort of. If my kid wanted to be a professional musician (God help him/her) I would probably be happier if they spent a summer at Tanglewood, Interlochen, etc. instead of a summer with a corps. If he/she wanted to be a Band Director, yeah, I'd say corps is one of the best "labs" for teaching experience.

The greater point here (I think) is that unsupportive teachers are a huge bummer. I would wager that they are probably thinking of drum corps from a few decades ago where the more pressure you put on your chops with the octave key, the better you were at playing lead, etc.

With any situation, though, from the 50s, 60s, 70s to today, it depends on the specifics. As a whole, I think your private techers would be pleasantly surprised to see the techniques that are being taught out there--the only problem is, there's no guaranteeing the quality from one corps to another. So you really can't make a blanket statement either way, because I'm sure there are some brass teachers out there that are still using that octave key. :music:

About two or three years ago on the Cavalier board the was a thread about a member from Alabama (I think) who had spent a summer at Tanglewood and then came to the Cavaliers. He felt he learned more at the Cavaliers.

Not saying other music camps aren't good places, of course they are, but everyones needs are different; everyones experience in corps or at various dance and music camps is different.

The young adults in these situatiations have to do what is right for them. Sounds like most of you have a good handle on it.

And remember no matter WHAT you do in your life, there will always be someone ready to say "WHY DO YOU WANT TO DO THAT?'