Tax Deductions

Ok, so I was driving to work this morning and thought, if I pay my drum corps fees from my personal account with personal checks do I get a tax deduction? I mean yes I'm getting a summer of marching out of it, but its still a not-for-profit organization. Just wondering if any of you legal types know if this is possible.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so I was driving to work this morning and thought, if I pay my drum corps fees from my personal account with personal checks do I get a tax deduction? I mean yes I'm getting a summer of marching out of it, but its still a not-for-profit organization. Just wondering if any of you legal types know if this is possible.

I'm no tax expert but you are paying them for something that you get in return, it's not a donation. I'm fairly sure that it's not even a tax deduction if someone donates the money to pay your dues for you.

If you use that logic, than anything that is purchased as souvies should also be tax deductable, which we know isn't.

I know if I joined the SAE, I could right that off as a tax deduction because it would be related to work.

Tax laws are just to confusing at times.. :grouphug:

Even direct contributions aren't fully deductable if there are "thank you gifts" associated with them. SCV takes a very conservative approach to valuing their "thank you's" but at least they provide contributors with a statement of what the tax deductable value of their contribution is.

Anything where you receive something in return is not tax deductible. Your fees are just that, fees. Its like if you purchase a raffle ticket from a NPO. You can't deduct that either, because you get the chance to win something in return.

I've sent in donations for fees for 4 members, and I can't deduct them because they were specifically for members fees. If I had donated them to the general fund for operating expenses, then I could deduct them.

Sorry....

Try reading IRS publication 529. (no really it's fun)

I'll summarize :

Dues -- NOT tax deductable.

Money from Sponsor given directly for your use -- NOT tax deductable.

Money given by a sponsor to the corps for someones dues, when the corp desides who benifits from that money -- this IS tax deductable (on the sponsors 1040)

So if the sponsor gives enough money for everyones dues but lets the Corps decide to name all the people, it is tax dedutable? I have a strange mind. :)

Anything where you receive something in return is not tax deductible. Your fees are just that, fees. Its like if you purchase a raffle ticket from a NPO. You can't deduct that either, because you get the chance to win something in return.

I've sent in donations for fees for 4 members, and I can't deduct them because they were specifically for members fees. If I had donated them to the general fund for operating expenses, then I could deduct them.

Sorry....

Try reading IRS publication 529. (no really it's fun)

I'll summarize :

Dues -- NOT tax deductable.

Money from Sponsor given directly for your use -- NOT tax deductable.

Money given by a sponsor to the corps for someones dues, when the corp desides who benifits from that money -- this IS tax deductable (on the sponsors 1040)

These two posts pretty much nailed it on the head!!!!!! :)

So if the sponsor gives enough money for everyones dues but lets the Corps decide to name all the people, it is tax dedutable? I have a strange mind. :)

That would be a lot of money........are you Donald Trump?? b**bs