Drum Corps vs Drum Corps

Why has Drum and Bugle Corps completely broken off of almost all of our military roots? Pipe and Drum, Fife and Drum and military bands still do the same traditions that are hundreds of years old. They all still play the traditional ceremony's like the reveille, troop to the colors and the tattoo, besides preserving their heritage as signal instruments of combat. All of the other groups have all also been playing the same instruments for the most part. Any history buffs out there? I love how drum and bugle corps has left its military roots, but I am just curious.

Edited by CornoBehnke

Why has Drum and Bugle Corps completely broken off of almost all of our military roots? Pipe and Drum, Fife and Drum and military bands still do the same traditions that are hundreds of years old. They all still play the traditional ceremony's like the reveille, troop to the colors and the tattoo, besides preserving their heritage as signal instruments of combat. All of the other groups have all also been playing the same instruments for the most part. Any history buffs out there? I love how drum and bugle corps has left its military roots, but I am just curious.

There's only so much that can be achieved with a traditional military ensemble . . . particularly drill-wise.

And that's the end of that!

Coolest

There's only so much that can be achieved with a traditional military ensemble . . . particularly drill-wise.

Military drill is still alive and well today. Just join and find out.

Huh?

Edited by ravedodger

Yeah--I never achieved much playing taps for a deceased member's family in the dead of winter with negative temperatures. :huh:

I was never surrounded by so many outstanding musicians in the army either. Double :wub::wub:

I never marched miles in jump boots either.

Nothing can be said for what I've done. :P

So what does any of this have to do with anything?

Maybe read between the lines and realize that "within the confines of the drum corps activity" is implied in what jake_the_hydra posted.

OOPS.

Edited by ravedodger

Umm...no. He said this:

I don't know what military unit or ensemble he's ever seen, but I was surrounded by natural talent and people with MM's. No it wasn't drum corps, but was a traditional drill band and concert band. We didn't play for volume but we had finesse and played in tune and played any one chart out of a pouch of over 250 at a moment's notice.

In no drum corps will you find as much talent as there is in a military band. Period.

I don't think that's what the OP or jake_the_hydra were talking about...

Yeah--I never achieved much playing taps for a deceased member's family in the dead of winter with negative temperatures. :wub:

I was never surrounded by so many outstanding musicians in the army either. Double :huh::wub:

I never marched miles in jump boots either.

Nothing can be said for what I've done. :P

I'm confused. Did someone delete a post saying that people in the army suck and that buglers that play taps do so because they are underachievers? :wub:

Ehh... maybe I misread something--crawling into a hole now...:P