The good news is that I'm marching

I have what my doctor calls “degenerative disc disorder with arthritic changes” in my lower back, so naturally at age 51 after a 24 year absence from the field I’m going to Cru to march bass… :laugh:

I’m working with the fitness director here at work to get as strong and as pain-free as possible. She’s going to evaluate me and suggest exercises and stretches, adjustments to my posture, etc, based on what she sees next Tuesday. She recommends the Pilates and Yoga classes.

I’d appreciate any input from anyone else with this kind of problem. What did you do? Does a back brace help? I have an anti-inflammatory prescription but I don’t want to rely on any kind of medication if I can at all avoid it.

Cheers

Jim

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At 41, I have the same problem! Adding a couple of other back problems.

Two summers ago I could barely walk without crutches. And I was lining myself up for surgery. (which Thank God, the Dr's don't think that I need now!) Last summer, I performed in the guard! My biggest help was definately ice-ing my back numerous times. Ibuprofen helps too. Plus I was working out in the gym a few nights a week to stregthen my back and stomach muscles.

Was any of the pain worth it? You Bet!!! Good luck.

HEY JIM,

AFTER ABOUT 10 YEARS OF FOOTBALL AND ABOUT 15 YEARS D&B CORPS I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM "MAYBE A LITTLE WORSE" AS YOU CARRIED #6 BASS LAST YEAR AND TO SAY IT DIDNT HURT WOULD BE A LIE....BUT WITH STOMACH AND BACK EXERCIZES AND ABOUT 6 WEEKS PT, IT KINDA GAVE ME ABOUT 45 MINS TO DO THE SHOW AND BE ABLE TO WALK STARIGHT TO THE BUS ....

AT PRACTICE PUT THE DRUM DOWN AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE WORKING YOUR MUSCLES SLOWLY FOR THE SEASON...WERE NOT 18 ANYMORE SO ITS GOING TO TAKE TIME...

AND AS THE PREVIOUS POSTER SAID "WAS THE PAIN WORTH IT"

YES IT WAS BETTER THAN WATCHING THATS FOR SURE!!!!!!!

GOOD LUCK, BE TUFF AND YOU AND THE "CRU" HAVE A GREAT SEASON

RICK

You are indeed a brave an sir!

Very definitely find yourself a CERTIFIED Pilates instructor. This is my wife's field and she has worked with many people with back issues and it definitely will help if you work at it. I think she would say to focus on your overall core and particularly your abdomen to give support to the back. My wife is trained in the Stott Pilates program, but there are several others. You can go to the Stott website to find a certified instructor in your area. Good luck.

By the way, I am also 51 and marched the past two years. Although I only had to carry a trumpet, the Pilates still helped.

I have what my doctor calls “degenerative disc disorder with arthritic changes” in my lower back, so naturally at age 51 after a 24 year absence from the field I’m going to Cru to march bass… :worthy:

I’m working with the fitness director here at work to get as strong and as pain-free as possible. She’s going to evaluate me and suggest exercises and stretches, adjustments to my posture, etc, based on what she sees next Tuesday. She recommends the Pilates and Yoga classes.

I’d appreciate any input from anyone else with this kind of problem. What did you do? Does a back brace help? I have an anti-inflammatory prescription but I don’t want to rely on any kind of medication if I can at all avoid it.

Cheers

Jim

Get pictures of you doing yoga... now THAT I would like to see!!

Get pictures of you doing yoga... now THAT I would like to see!!

LOL - yeah that would be scary wouldn't it? Aerobics would be worse though...... :P

Very definitely find yourself a CERTIFIED Pilates instructor. This is my wife's field and she has worked with many people with back issues and it definitely will help if you work at it. I think she would say to focus on your overall core and particularly your abdomen to give support to the back. My wife is trained in the Stott Pilates program, but there are several others. You can go to the Stott website to find a certified instructor in your area. Good luck.

By the way, I am also 51 and marched the past two years. Although I only had to carry a trumpet, the Pilates still helped.

Tomorrow I'm going to what is a Pilates-Yoga fusion class (???) and the instructor, who is certified, is going to stick with me to make sure I get the basics down properly. Apparently it's a small group so she can take this kind of time with newbies.

GOOD LUCK, BE TUFF AND YOU AND THE "CRU" HAVE A GREAT SEASON

RICK

Thanks Rick, and thanks to everyone that's been so kind to post and PM advice. I appreciate it! I'll let you know how it's looking after January camp. I'll have a pretty good idea by then if I will be able to handle it or not (apparently Tyrell, the caption head, is planning on doing a lot of tracking). :worthy:

Thanks Rick, and thanks to everyone that's been so kind to post and PM advice. I appreciate it! I'll let you know how it's looking after January camp. I'll have a pretty good idea by then if I will be able to handle it or not (apparently Tyrell, the caption head, is planning on doing a lot of tracking). :worthy:

Good luck to you. It appears that you are taking the proper approach to doing this insomuch as you got your doctor involved. Soreness is something you will definetely experience but understanding the difference between soreness and real pain could make the difference between a fun summer weather you march or not or hell.