Since the switch to Bb's

But see, whenever WE did played something that sounded nasty, they said "stop sounding like a G hornline." Seriously, I heard that more than once. I'm not condoning that..... I'm just trying to explain that the those words have very different meanings now. The older connotations are becoming obsolete as the old sound becomes something to avoid. So, being referred to as a G hornline motivated us to be better. It goe both ways. No one can be right in this argument.

And it's not a matter of being right. It's not that I have a problem with an instrument, or the feeling you get from playing it.... it's the attitude that what you did is somehow more legitimate than what is happening now. And I know that's not everyone.... it's really only a handfull of nasty people in this community. Even if you feel that way... which we all do in some way.... I think it's rude to act upon it in the way that certain people do. That is where my hostility is directed.

Yes, a trumpet is a soprano voice, but so is a violin. Last time I sat in on an orchestra rehearsal, the conductor didn't call any instruments by their voicing. In a men's chorus, are the tenors referred to as sopranos? I hope not. Why use the old voicing argument? Can't we just say, "I like the words soprano and contra because, to me, it makes my drum corps experience more valid, and puts me in a position superior to those that play 'band' horns."

And I'm a history major, so actually, yes, I can comprehend history pretty well. Contrary to popular belief, we do not all have a mental disability. I promise all of you that most of the younger generation knows about starting shows with guns, and full retreat, and 27, and military guards, and inspection. We are aware.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a men's chorus, are the tenors referred to as sopranos?

No, but that's because they don't sing in the soprano range. They may have the melody, or even a high tenor part, but they're still singing in the tenor range.

Not trying to be mean, just pointing that out. :)

So should we go ahead and rename all the DCI corps from before the switch to "G-Keyed Brass Corps International?" They certainly weren't playing "bugles" anymore than current corps are. Just because you called it a bugle doesn't mean it is one. The old sops were pretty much trumpets in G, not bugles. After all, Rutter wrote for Trumpets in C in his Gloria. Bands often use Trumpets in Bb. Just because it's a different key doesn't mean it's a bugle.

Bingo! We have a winner. :)

No, but that's because they don't sing in the soprano range. They may have the melody, or even a high tenor part, but they're still singing in the tenor range.

Not trying to be mean, just pointing that out. :)

Ah, yes ... but what about countertenors?

Edited by Orpheus

Counter-tenors are soprano in range, counter-tenors in name. The choir director at the church where I sing calls the counter-tenor we have a soprano though.

Counter-tenors are soprano in range, counter-tenors in name. The choir director at the church where I sing calls the counter-tenor we have a soprano though.

Ummmmm ... yeah, I know. You have to learn to recognize when someone is just being silly. B)

Ummmmm ... yeah, I know. You have to learn to recognize when someone is just being silly. B)

Smileys make it eaiser :sigh: :)

The term itself is not elitist. The reasoning that you should call it a contra because tubas are for bands and you are too good for that is elitist.

You're welcome to think that if you want. If that's going to drive some kid away because he can't bear to think of it as a contra instead of a tuba, well...sorry. I can't say I've met a single contra player who crossed over from playing tuba who took issue with the name.

You're welcome to think that if you want. If that's going to drive some kid away because he can't bear to think of it as a contra instead of a tuba, well...sorry. I can't say I've met a single contra player who crossed over from playing tuba who took issue with the name.

Alright, it's obvious you have no idea what I'm talking about, so we can just agree to disagree.

If you'll look back at the rest of the thread, you'll see that the topic is whether or not corps still refer to Bb contras as contras, or if they've started using the term tubas. My point is that I prefer retaining the old name.

Why?

I really don't care what they call them, but why not call them what they actually are?