Marching styles for horn and drums

Dear All Age marching people

I need to know how many corps, and which corps if possible, have different "marktime" styles between the horns and the battery. I know there is normaly a difference between the guard and the rest, but who marches 2 different "marktime" styles, not forward marching styles.

Thanks for your time

John Mayer

Govenaires

Dear All Age marching people

I need to know how many corps, and which corps if possible, have different "marktime" styles between the horns and the battery. I know there is normaly a difference between the guard and the rest, but who marches 2 different "marktime" styles, not forward marching styles.

Thanks for your time

John Mayer

Govenaires

John,

I see that happening alot, almost to the point that it's normal. Most hornlines mark time with the heel coming up to ankle height and the balls of the feet staying firmly on the ground. This gives the performer the opportunity to use the leverage of the big toe to push or dig in on the AND of 4 (which helps control initiation of movement). Conversely, Most drumlines i've seen lift the entire foot off the ground.

This technique is used for a couple of different reasons. 1) leaving the ball on the ground and lifting the heel creates a knee bend that also pushes the hip forward and creates excessive movement with the marching instrument (it's slight, but it's there). 2) Pulse control. The second point is more true of lesser experienced lines. 3) it's an old school technique, so it really depends on who the instructor is and what methods they are comfortable with in order to achieve maximum pulse control within the battery.

Either way, I don't think it would hurt visual scores. Marking time isn't used that much anymore, other than to start a production within the show. As long as the technique is consistent within the battery, you'll be rewarded for it. In some cases, corps have eliminated mark time altogether. What really bothers me is when the drumline is marking time when the rest of the ensemble does not. In my opinion, the full foot off the ground technique is dated and shows a weakness. I'm not sure what styles you're considering but I wouldn't go in that direction.

Edited by supersop

Rochester Crusaders drumline used whole foot to mark time, the horn line does not.

Disclaimer

I am typing this reply, using the findings I discovered utilizing both mark time techniques. I am not saying one is better than the other (although that's how I feel) and I did not mean to offend, talk down upon or ridicule ANY marching unit, alive or dead, that may disagree with the following reply.

Lifting the entire foot off the ground while marking time is similar to the jarring motion of marching. It forces the performer to be aggressive with the movement of their feet. As a member of a moving percussion section, I feel that raising the foot off the ground will help our overall movement, and in return help the ensemble play together better.

I can also see the advantages of leaving the ball of the foot on the ground. I PREFER to raise the foot, but if told, would leave the ball down. It is really a matter of preference... where your instructors marched or taught in the past.

Keep an open mind, but don't be afraid to form your own opinion.

Good luck this season, and

See you on retreat!!!

I have seen both used and taught both. As has been said before, in shows marking time isnt used that much, but when it is, as long as it is consistent, even if the hornline and battery are different, that has become accepted simply because the limits created by the harnesses.

I would prefer to see just the toe lifted for battery mark time though. The whole foot off the ground, even if it is just a tiny lift, without the knee bending creates a visual sway in the upper body. On those few occaisions that the entire corps marks time, you have the hornline with no upper body movement, and the battery swaying left and right. To me, that is real distracting to the overall visual picture.

I have seen both used and taught both. As has been said before, in shows marking time isnt used that much, but when it is, as long as it is consistent, even if the hornline and battery are different, that has become accepted simply because the limits created by the harnesses.

I would prefer to see just the toe lifted for battery mark time though. The whole foot off the ground, even if it is just a tiny lift, without the knee bending creates a visual sway in the upper body. On those few occaisions that the entire corps marks time, you have the hornline with no upper body movement, and the battery swaying left and right. To me, that is real distracting to the overall visual picture.

Sorry - have to disagree with you on two points.

1 - I like that sway in a battery!

2 - For me, just raising the toe (toe-tap-mark-time) is the least efficient to start motion, and is the least helpful for subdividing.

Just raising the toe?

That sounds like it would be painful after a while!

Just raising the toe?

That sounds like it would be painful after a while!

It's a little hard on that muscle that runs down the side of the shin after a while. I still slip into toe-raise occaisionally. I'm sure I'll get that bad habit corrected before summer! :P

Disclaimer

I am typing this reply, using the findings I discovered utilizing both mark time techniques. I am not saying one is better than the other (although that's how I feel) and I did not mean to offend, talk down upon or ridicule ANY marching unit, alive or dead, that may disagree with the following reply.

Lifting the entire foot off the ground while marking time is similar to the jarring motion of marching. It forces the performer to be aggressive with the movement of their feet. As a member of a moving percussion section, I feel that raising the foot off the ground will help our overall movement, and in return help the ensemble play together better.

I can also see the advantages of leaving the ball of the foot on the ground. I PREFER to raise the foot, but if told, would leave the ball down. It is really a matter of preference... where your instructors marched or taught in the past.

Keep an open mind, but don't be afraid to form your own opinion.

Good luck this season, and

See you on retreat!!!

Gene...we did whole foot for the battery last year. Not sure what Bobby Ciz is going to want.

Our horn line employs the traditional mark-time technique.

It just doesn't matter. As long as everyone in the section is the same.

Just wanted to go on DCP to reply to someone who lives 4 blocks from me.