Star 93

I'm amused when people accuse Regiment or SCV of being stuck in the 90s, because I don't understand what's wrong with that? Most of my favorite shows came from that decade.

Edited by raphael18

Wait a sec. Not thematic? Old-fashioned? I thought the consensus around here was Star ’93 was the seminal show that set the template for all future shows to follow.

I suppose you could say there was just music and no message or storyline. I suppose you could also say that had the Internet then been the medium we know now, there might well have been words to accompany the music and movement. I can say that because the show on the field clearly wasn’t designed in a vaccum. The guard’s ballet-like uniforms weren’t selected at random. That and other elements evoked the Barber/Martha Graham ballet throughout.

I wouldn’t make too much of this either way. Sure there was no one playing the “Medea” character. Nor was there an online libretto to prompt our understanding. Remember also that the Barber ballet also wasn’t a literal approach to the Medea myth. It was more about the emotions of the story. I’d say Star was faithful to that.

HH

Of course there was a basic concept behind the overall design, which any successful show needs, but they weren't trying to get across a heavy-handed "theme" or any sort of straightforward plot-line, which IMHO often tend to simply bog shows down. A touch of characterization is sometimes useful (BD '04), but sometimes too much of it can really be too much.

Funny how a simple question that has already been answered is turned into a "OLD SCHOOL IS BETTER!" debate. Again.

Not "old school," necessarily ... just not heavy-handed and obvious. There were shows with overly literal themes in the 80s. And there are shows that are mostly non-thematic today.

Edited by Orpheus