I wonder when did corps start charging for tryouts?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 16 year old daughter auditioned this year for the first time. She is young, and has no drum corps experience, so chances are good that she won't end up with a spot, but we'll keep taking her back until they tell her not to come any longer. She is going with the attitude that the camps, for which we are paying a bit each month, are clinics for her. She really enjoyed the instruction she recieved and is looking forward to at least one or two more...hopefully alot more, but she is trying to be realistic. Anyway, we chose to look at the money we shelled out for the audition fee and the camp fees as costs that will go to help her in the long run...like paying a private teacher or attending a summer music camp, split up into smaller increments over several months. As for the tour costs, I don't see them as unreasonable for what you get. One year in the high school marching band cost us a little over $1,000 and other than one week of band camp, they didn't even really go anywhere.

My 16 year old daughter auditioned this year for the first time. She is young, and has no drum corps experience, so chances are good that she won't end up with a spot, but we'll keep taking her back until they tell her not to come any longer. She is going with the attitude that the camps, for which we are paying a bit each month, are clinics for her. She really enjoyed the instruction she recieved and is looking forward to at least one or two more...hopefully alot more, but she is trying to be realistic. Anyway, we chose to look at the money we shelled out for the audition fee and the camp fees as costs that will go to help her in the long run...like paying a private teacher or attending a summer music camp, split up into smaller increments over several months. As for the tour costs, I don't see them as unreasonable for what you get. One year in the high school marching band cost us a little over $1,000 and other than one week of band camp, they didn't even really go anywhere.

Gawd, with parents like that youz could join my corps any time. :grouphug:

As a former corps manager, let me chime in...

For many corps, the first camp, or the audition camp is it is called by many, is the first big event of the new season. The corps finished their previous season a few months earlier and have had no activity other than staff meetings since. For most corps, if the corps is not active, they are not seeing much, if any income. This first camp can be costly. There is staff to pay, food to buy (for some, not all corps), facilities fees, and insurances just to name a few expenses. Of course, all of the audition materials...music, mailouts, etc, are not cheap either.

So when the corps begins to form for the first camp, it is a costly endeavor. As I said earlier, with little or no income since August for most corps, this first camp could immediately start them off in the hole UNLESS you cover your expenses by charging a nominal fee.

And although I'm not sure, I think you'll find that in MOST cases, only the corps that CAN get higher fees do indeed do so. I know that in today's drum corps atmosphere, if I were eligible to audition I'd surely expect to pay higher fees to audition for the Cavies, Phantom, or the Cadets than I would for Spirit, Colts, or Glassmen. Not that those corps value themselves any more than others do, but when you are consistently at the top, your perceived value can be higher. It's the same difference in why you pay over $100 for Air Nike and only $20 for Keds. (Note: I have no idea if any of those top corps do indeed charge more for auditions than any other corps...but I would expect it if that were so.)

Yeah...we used to not have to audition for corps, mush less pay for it. And our fees used to be under $500. But, this is not the 80s anymore. Expenses are higher and the times have changed. Maybe corps finally figured out what a great deal members are getting and they are finally putting a price on what the members get. Nothing is free!

As for the premise of lower fees to attract more auditionees...if a corps needs more people to audition, then they have that choice. But I highly doubt that lowering them will add to the number greatly. As others have said, if a kid really wants to march, a small audition fee will not hinder them, IMHO.

I understand it's not the 80's anymore, and I said that the tour fees and etc are appropriate for the times, in case you didn't see that part, that is not what I'm talking about. I'm suggesting ways for the lower placed corps to catch up with big guys.

Also, most of those "top corps" have sponsorships who pay them to use equipment etc, so they have the luxury of that, some of the lower placed corps don't have that advantage. I'm talking about a way for them to cash in on the big turn out production that the higher placed corps seem to enjoy.

I also understand the need for the top corps to charge $100, but I was suggesting, just think how many more they can bring in with less fees for try outs, (the lower corps), because we all know that not every kid is going to make Phantom, so the ones who realistically could make a lower placed corps wouldn't be shelling out all that money with no chance of making it, and using it towards fees to a corps that is better suited for them. Sometimes the instructors know immediately if the kid is going to be best suited for that corps.

If it was me, I wouldn't string a kid along for the money, knowing they had no chance of making it, I would say let them know immediately instead of leading them on and then cutting them in the end. Sure, calling somebody back for another camp is smart cause you can't really tell in the first try out (IMO) somebody's attitude or ability (for the most part).

Edited by Lancerlady

Being young and having no drum corps experience is not necessarily a negative. My daughter was 14 and had not marched drum corps and she got a spot with the Blue Stars. Attitude, commitment, dedication are all a big part of making it into a line. I know some corps hae rejected talented players with bad attitudes and accepeted members with less attitude but a great attitude. Good luck - I hope she makes it!

If you use an average of 1200 to march now. Adjusting for inflation, 1200 dollars in 2005 would only be 320 in 1975. So it's really not much more expensive to march now than back in the day.

Numbers from: http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

Not meant to highjack this thread... This probably deserves its own.

Edited by jblamb1401

**The use of Phantom Regiment in this post was purely demonstrational and in no way is a reflection of any of their actual policies or inner workings**

Also, most of those "top corps" have sponsorships who pay them to use equipment etc, so they have the luxury of that, some of the lower placed corps don't have that advantage. I'm talking about a way for them to cash in on the big turn out production that the higher placed corps seem to enjoy.

I am not aware of any groups that get paid to use equipment. Many in the position of being the top of the activity are given better deals on prices and access to newer equipment, but I'm almost positive that there are no groups that are directly paid by sponsoring companies. There could be some under the table stuff going on somewhere, but I'm speaking in terms of legit support.

I also understand the need for the top corps to charge $100, but I was suggesting, just think how many more they can bring in with less fees for try outs, (the lower corps), because we all know that not every kid is going to make Phantom, so the ones who realistically could make a lower placed corps wouldn't be shelling out all that money with no chance of making it, and using it towards fees to a corps that is better suited for them. Sometimes the instructors know immediately if the kid is going to be best suited for that corps.

If it was me, I wouldn't string a kid along for the money, knowing they had no chance of making it, I would say let them know immediately instead of leading them on and then cutting them in the end. Sure, calling somebody back for another camp is smart cause you can't really tell in the first try out (IMO) somebody's attitude or ability (for the most part).

While this is true in terms of potential members saving money, basically what I understand you as saying is "If Johnny sucks, don't make him pay the audition fee just in case he doesn't make it, even though he's recieving a facility to use (including water, showers, lights, etc.), instruction, and possibly food. That way, he can take he can just use that money somewhere else."

Sort of a Robin Hood way of taking from Phantom and giving the money to corps X....not very fair to Regiment is it?

The fact of the matter is, kids will go where they want to go. If a kid is dead set on marching Phantom and he's willing to pay the fee for camps or auditions or whatever you want to call it, that's his own business. And the truth is, you WILL walk away having learned something from an audition camp, so the experience, even if you don't make it, is still worth it from an educational point of view.

Who are you or anyone else to tell someone where they can or can't audition?

Also, many staff members look not only for raw talent right out of the gate, but the ability to develop and get better over time. It is at the discretion of the educational staff in charge or auditioning these kids who stays and who goes.

Yes there have been stories of people getting "strung along", and that's inevitable. However, it's the member's decision if he/she sticks it out through the process. Many people go through the entire winter (and sometimes the entire summer) as alternates, and that's just the name of the game.

I do understand what you're saying, but unfortunately as many previous posters have said, things are NOT free these days. Things cost money, and financial responsibility within the membership is a substantial part of whether or not a corps goes on tour every summer.

I know that post was somewhat random and jumped a tad bit, but I think I summed up my opinion nicely.

Edited by drumcorpsfanguy1800

Ugh... :grouphug: I guess some aren't getting where I'm coming from. None of my comments are intended to insult or belittle anybody's talent, just looking at the big picture of things and different ways of making more money for the lower placed corps.

Again, I reiterate that the price of dues is not the issue I agree with them, for the most part with those prices, this is about try out fees.

And I'm not referring to the fact of anyone doing anything illegal as far as those corps who do get the benefits of having sponsorships by using certain equipment, that is part of advertising for the equipment people.....

AND, I am not saying that somebody shouldn't pay the fees if they "suck" (however YOU put it), I am talking about the big picture of things and the REALITY of it all. Not everyone who tries out for Phantom or BD or whomever,(just using as examples) is going to make it, those kids can start off somewhere else. I'm just saying the whole activity as a whole can benefit in good ways from this idea, if you think about it.

I am not asking for ANYTHING to be free.

Edited by Lancerlady

There's no need for defensiveness. You made your suggestions, we're saying why we believe they're not feasible or would not have a significant impact on the situation at hand.

There's no need for defensiveness. You made your suggestions, we're saying why we believe they're not feasible or would not have a significant impact on the situation at hand.

I'm not being defensive, I am trying to stress that I understand that "it's not the 80's anymore" and all those other comments directed at me like I am living in the past or something.

No, I'm not living in the past, just trying to think outside the box in terms of how corps could rake up on some money. Thinking about the lower placed corps etc...

But when somebody implies something to me that indicates that they think I'm insulting the situation, I do feel the need to clarify myself.