I wonder when did corps start charging for tryouts?

primarily I believe the audition fee goes to cover the additional costs of having so many more kids to feed etc... than the corps usually handles. This additional amount of kids really does increase the cost to the corps for even just the basics they provide during a camp.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

man... to try out for the crossmen this year you had to pay a $95 dollar registration fee AND a camp fee for nov, dec and jan camps. The $95 dollars was for "registration" 95 dollars to write my name down?? and they never even sent my audition packet. but i think alot more people would go audition if they didnt have to shell out almost 200 for a audition.

im sure thats just a YEA thing. i know cadets operate pretty much in the same way.

i dont think SCV charges an audition or camp fee. i know BD doesnt. i think its pretty sad when corps make people pay to audition. and even worse when they make them pay for camps. if they dont have the money to pay to practice.. do they have to show up?

I'm pretty sure most kids who want to try out for a drum corps don't decide against it because of the audition fee.

Now the entire package (getting up to $2000 and beyond these days for some corps) is probably more discouraging than the audition fee.

Edited by Penguin

Yeah $2,000 is expensive, I think $1,000 to $1,500 is more reasonable if you make it, but just imagine if the fees for trying out were lower..the corps would probably be able to make more money in the long run by getting more to try out if you get what I'm saying.

And as far as the argument of paying for try outs gives them an idea of whose more serious, how do you figure that when you can have over 500 serious people paying the try out fees? I'm sure there is a better way of the audition process working out for a less fee is what I'm getting at.

I'm still wondering, when did it become so expensive to try out...does anyone know when this started?

Edited by Lancerlady

I just did some looking....

my first year ('03) fees were 1200... dont' remember the 2nd year but I know it went up just bit.

tour fees are now 1700 something. :sigh:

wow.

im sure thats just a YEA thing. i know cadets operate pretty much in the same way.

i dont think SCV charges an audition or camp fee. i know BD doesnt. i think its pretty sad when corps make people pay to audition. and even worse when they make them pay for camps. if they dont have the money to pay to practice.. do they have to show up?

Interesting.

I'm not just talking about the inflation of tour fees, (those are pretty reasonable for the times),I mean the try out fees though, trying to get an understanding of why they do charge so much to try out. I understand about food but if it was me, I remember we were on our own for food until tour kicked in.

What do kids eat at camps these days or try out camps?

Edited by Lancerlady

at our camps we were fed all meals at our facility.

that included a snack friday night (camps starteda at 6). breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack saturday, and then breakfast and lunch sunday.

that said, I believe that having the corps style meals is great b/c it really makes the experience as authentic as possible.

going out to eat is great....just not terribly drum corps like. :)

well.. for BD, you eat on your own. i do know some of the corps that make you pay, justify it by saying that the audition is more like an actual camp or a clinic... where the potential members is actually being taught something.. and not just an audition.

to me it just sounds like those corps (especially cadets) are just trying to milk you out of as much money as you can.

at BD they dont feed you at auditions.. you are on your own. the only time they feed you is on tour, and during the full camps. they dont house you in dorms and baby you like some corps do.. they actually make you grow up and live life.. while marching. most members get apartments, rent rooms, get part time jobs.. etc.. but thats a whole different discussion

well.. for BD, you eat on your own. i do know some of the corps that make you pay, justify it by saying that the audition is more like an actual camp or a clinic... where the potential members is actually being taught something.. and not just an audition.

to me it just sounds like those corps (especially cadets) are just trying to milk you out of as much money as you can.

at BD they dont feed you at auditions.. you are on your own. the only time they feed you is on tour, and during the full camps. they dont house you in dorms and baby you like some corps do.. they actually make you grow up and live life.. while marching. most members get apartments, rent rooms, get part time jobs.. etc.. but thats a whole different discussion

Corps that house members are babying them? Come on...

Blue Devils make you grow up by having people rent apartments and get part time jobs? Isn't that what most college kids are doing before they move in anyway? Do they not grow up and live life before BD makes them do it?